Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Dining Table/Chair Set Deals

Epona

Sonic: 1 Nov 2006 - 8 Jan 2022
This might sound a bit tragic but I have wanted a dining table forever, I could get a table alone from Ikea for £49 but I'd still need some chairs - I think this set looks pretty good. In a way I'd prefer the unfinished version (I could paint it nicely, I know what I am doing in that regard) but that is more expensive for some reason and then add costs of primer and paint.

Does anyone know of any better deals than this? (Take into account delivery costs, we don't drive or have a car).

Looking to order within the next few days and this looks like a pretty good deal.

Yeah but several times more expensive!!! Ikea + delivery charge is cheaper.
Really? I saw a similar one and thought the delivery of £20 made it cheaper than the IKEA one. It's such a same when the delivery costs bump it up so much. :(

Ah never mind, I was looking at a budget of around £130 for a basic table and 4 chairs but that seems unobtainable.

I bought this recently. It’s great.

I put the table together myself but the bench seats were difficult - I fucked the first one up and Dad had to fix it and I made him do the second without my involvement.

Bench seats will not work in my home, I need chairs (because of how extras need to be distributed throughout the flat when they are not in use) - thanks for the suggestion though!

Bench seats will not work in my home, I need chairs (because of how extras need to be distributed throughout the flat when they are not in use) - thanks for the suggestion though!

Fair enough. I got benches for the opposite reason :)

This might sound a bit tragic but I have wanted a dining table forever, I could get a table alone from Ikea for £49 but I'd still need some chairs - I think this set looks pretty good. In a way I'd prefer the unfinished version (I could paint it nicely, I know what I am doing in that regard) but that is more expensive for some reason and then add costs of primer and paint.

Does anyone know of any better deals than this? (Take into account delivery costs, we don't drive or have a car).

Looking to order within the next few days and this looks like a pretty good deal.

We had that table and chairs' forerunner for the first 22 years in this house. Served us very well.

Ah I am due to see my parents next week (if we all test negative, my niece currently has covid but no-one has been in contact with her recently, tests will be done though to make sure we are ok to meet up), might try to have them drive us back home via an Ikea somewhere to dodge the delivery charge.

Local British Heart Foundation shop or similar. They often have really good deals, if you don't mind secondhand and lots of larger charity shops also stock reasonably priced new bits too. I know BHF deliver, but if not , a local 'man and van' type arrangement would deliver. They usually advertise in free local mags, shop windows and Facebook.

Local British Heart Foundation shop or similar. They often have really good deals, if you don't mind secondhand and lots of larger charity shops also stock reasonably priced new bits too. I know BHF deliver, but if not , a local 'man and van' type arrangement would deliver. They usually advertise in free local mags, shop windows and Facebook.

They don't deliver though, do they. And I don't drive or have a vehicle. There are no charity shops in my area that do furniture, so I would have to go elsewhere to search for something. A "person with a van" would cost £50 so I might as well just get delivery from Ikea.

The job lot from Ikea is still looking like the best deal - if I can get a click and collect deal when I am visiting my parents all the better

They don't deliver though, do they. And I don't drive or have a vehicle. There are no charity shops in my area that do furniture, so I would have to go elsewhere to search for something. A "person with a van" would cost £50 so I might as well just get delivery from Ikea.
I suppose depending where you live a charity shop that sells furniture may be nearer than an ikea.
BhF furniture shops do deliver or give out details of people who will. Local man and van start at £25 , again could depend where you live. My experience is pure South London though. Never paid more than £25.
But I'd probably crawl over hot coals to avoid a trip to ikea.

Yeah not an option here, "Del Boys" that used to do furniture and second hand white goods shut up shop during lockdown and reinvented itself as a bedding and clothing shop, there is nothing around here that would suit.

There is a furniture shop nearby but it is all really overblown stuff involving fake marble and glass and quite expensive, I just want a cheap pine table tbh

I am currently sat at that table, it's been pretty good, but it's very soft wood and doesn't like being jabbed with things so we have a few dinks in it. I put it together when 8 months pregnant so its pretty easy to put together too. Try gumtree as well? Or Vinted?

I am currently sat at that table, it's been pretty good, but it's very soft wood and doesn't like being jabbed with things so we have a few dinks in it. I put it together when 8 months pregnant so its pretty easy to put together too. Try gumtree as well? Or Vinted?

What have you been jabbing the table with? :D

My main concern is that my elderly 15 year old cats are still very lively and ridiculously invested in anything that is going on and they are going to be launching themselves on and off it especially while it is A New Thing :D Can it withstand a 5kg cat (or two) landing on it at speed? :D

The chairs look quite uncomfortable Epona -I have some similar that are now in the shed that were ok with seat pads.

I am on FB & have had some great bargains from their Marketplace which is like eBay but not an auction. My local zero waste group is a good free resource too. Sometimes people post they need X item & don’t have transport & others have helped. Might be worth creating an account for Marketplace?

Re British Heart Foundation , I looked in the window of one on Saturday & the prices were piss taking high.

OK so maybe just get the table then or look around for chairs elsewhere - I did rescue a chair from down by the bins a while back, it is wobbly though so I need to fix it, I am not sure I can rescue another 3 in time to sit people at a table for Xmas dinner :D

Thanks for the reviews, am still considering the table (probably the unfinished one for £49 if I am only getting a table), will look out for better deals elsewhere :thumbs:

I know it sounds really stupid, but my current goal is that I want a dining table and 4 chairs before Xmas - it would be nice to have the occasional meal actually sitting at a table, I haven't had one in a long time. I have a bloody space for a table and all, just no sodding table.

Small goals etc. :)

at the risk of stating the obvious

may be worth going on local freecycle / freegle or whatever it's called locally

also, stuff on e-bay that is 'buyer to collect' often tends not to get a lot of interest (you can sort by 'nearest to me')

and local gumtree

all would require involvement of person with van, of course

there is an emmaus shop in that east london (if i remember right you're that side of the river) and they do deliver - not sure what their prices are like.

We've had a basic wooden table and chairs like this IVAR pine, Chair - IKEA
for probably 10 years and they have been fine. Pretty indestructable with multiple children & cats.
Don't get glitter on the chairs though, it won't come off :D

Laughing about the glitter there :D

The main issue I have is No Transport - like - I cannot actually collect anything from anywhere, I'd have to incur delivery costs in some way for anything no matter what I got or where I purchased it.

Sometimes buying something from a shop and paying a delivery charge is less chaotic and cheaper than finding something on Ebay or similar and then trying to arrange collection by some means.

Back
Top Bottom