Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

DfE says no more anti-capitalist teaching in England.

Just to pick up on this, while Stonewall and Mermaids etc might not 'go into' schools, their material is certainly available in (some) schools. My daughter and all her pangender mates have made liberal use of the books in the LGBT section of their school library. Is this aimed at removing these materials?

It talks specifically about the RSE curriculum so it shouldn't apply to library books or materials. Give this fucking shower another couple of years though and banning books from schools in the name of free speech wouldn't surprise me. Stonewall don't teach kids directly but do train teachers and provide lesson plans and things, but Annex B of the new guidelines specifically recommends Stonewall lesson plans and resources so presumably the DfE feel they are compliant with the rules. Mermaids seem to think they are compliant as well although have pointed out they don't do much work in schools and don't provide education or training directly to schoolkids.

Tbh I don't think the guidelines really have the power to change anything on the ground except potentially make head teachers wary about using any external agencies which lean to the left. It's important people in education know these guidelines only apply to RSE and are not mandatory because I think creating confusion is probably part of the point.

Yep. That one bothers me a lot as well. Sod Trump. That's straight out of Putin's playbook. Vague enough to be used against just about any marginalised group daring to stand up for themselves.

The subtext to that is that there already exists a thing called 'British society' that isn't divided. Pernicious stuff.

I guess it was only a matter of time before the bastard Tories started copying their Russian oligarch scum-chums.

I must confess to watching them discuss this on Novara Media yesterday. They said on there that RSE is part of broader citizenship classes (PSHRE - Personal Social Health and Relationship Education). So they see this as affecting citizenship classes and not just RSE and said these were dictats, not just guidelines.

Whether that is the case though I don't know for sure tbh.

Worth noting that, although the scourge of revolutionary communist LGBT charities is covered, the word "consent" only appears once, and not in the context you would be looking for.

To be fair consent is covered in the statutory guidelines which schools have to follow, there's a set of powerpoint slides which cover it here: Teacher training: intimate and sexual relationships, including sexual health

It's not very good though tbh, all very dry and based on what the law says rather than talking about things like enthusiastic consent and the potential for coercion.

I must confess to watching them discuss this on Novara Media yesterday. They said on there that RSE is part of broader citizenship classes (PSHRE - Personal Social Health and Relationship Education). So they see this as affecting citizenship classes and not just RSE and said these were dictats, not just guidelines.

Whether that is the case though I don't know for sure tbh.

I do, they are wrong, RSA and PSHE are different things now and I'm pretty sure Schoolsweek are right and that the statutory guidelines here are, well statutory, and this weekend's statement was just a recommendation. It kind of concedes that in the intro saying:
Information to help school leaders plan, develop and implement the new statutory curriculum.

It gives some basic principles to help school leaders plan and prepare for the new statutory curriculum. Schools have the flexibility to design their own curriculum to ensure it meets the needs of pupils and the community, as well as the statutory requirements.

It's still taking the piss though. Statutory RSE education is live, and was supposed to start on September 1st or whenever schools went back after Summer although there's been wriggle room introduced because of Covid. To confuse everyone and introduce a load of new guidelines, that aren't mandatory but sort of look a bit mandatory after some schools will have started delivery is pretty shambolic and that they seem to have done it to largely make unrelated political points and have a vague dig at trans people is even shitter. That's the story. But it takes more than reading a few outraged tweets to get there.

The Guardian article quoted at the start of this thread does a very poor job of making clear what this does and doesn't relate to. And the quotes from John McDonnel about it becoming illegal to teach the history of trade unionism seem wildly misleading.

But these non-statutory guidelines run to thousands of words, without even a passing reference to consent.

That's probably because schools are supposed to refer to the statutory guidelines when drawing up the curriculum, loads of the statutory stuff isn't covered in the new recommendations, this is just a load of new stuff they've tacked on at the last minute, but it is very confusing.

It’s certainly an argument against State controlled education.

There is of course loads of politics in education. The entire edifice is political in the broadest sense. My kids PSE education has been fairly strongly left wing since the end of Primary, with lots of ‘liberal’ sex and relationship education, and more lately gender ID stuff (the teachers sign their emails ‘my gender pronouns are...’ which is pretty fucking weird when your asking for feedback on Maths and not enquiring about their gender :D ). Gender ID doesn’t seem to be a big issue among the kids tho or at least not visible.

There’s also been lots on American (but not British) civil rights movement. Recently read I’m no longer talking to White people about race’ and it was not only incredibly instructional about systematic racism, but also made the point that uk civil rights is completely ignored, although my kids will happily tell you about Rosa Parks, MLK, Mandela etc. My kids school is a Stephen Lawrence approved school though. For reference, my two went to inner city Primary and mixed secondary in pretty deprived area, both high BAME populations mostly British-Asian and Black British alongside wwc.

XR isn’t really a thing, and none of the kids I know give a shit.

UK civil rights is completely ignored, although my kids will happily tell you about Rosa Parks, MLK, Mandela etc.

You can understand why they do this, though. For civil rights as regard race, the modern histories of the US and SA can be woven into dramatic, compelling and comforting stories with key events, attractive heroes and an unproblematic moral themes, even if it might require simplifying things. For the UK, you really need to explore empire and xenophobia, which is a lot more complex, and we don't really have the same drama, even if you look hard.

You can understand why they do this, though. For civil rights as regard race, the modern histories of the US and SA can be woven into dramatic, compelling and comforting stories with key events, attractive heroes and an unproblematic moral themes, even if it might require simplifying things. For the UK, you really need to explore empire and xenophobia, which is a lot more complex, and we don't really have the same drama, even if you look hard.
Yeah. The fact that empire is not even mentioned, let alone taught, afaik, is probably one of the most politicised aspects of our kids educations.

Yes, I don't remember anything about it from school, except that India produced cotton. I learned more from my granddad, who went to Burma and wouldn't shut up about it. Weird considering how completely central it is to a long period of British history.

I think a lot of people just think of the story in the UK as starting with some people arriving from random countries and everyone taking a while to get over the surprise. Not necessarily just white people, either.

Back
Top Bottom