Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Dea-John Reid, murdered by racists

BillRiver

they/them
R.I.P.
Utterly heartbreaking.

Boy, 14, ‘was racially abused’ before being stabbed to death in Birmingham

And what's this about? :

"14-year-old boy was subjected to racist abuse before being chased and stabbed to death in Birmingham, police have said, as he was named as Dea-John Reid.... detectives are understood not be convinced that the killing can be classed as a hate crime."

How does that make sense? I mean apart from the institutional racism, obviously.

There something really fucking tragic happening in Birmingham with our young people. All entirely preventable but police and council leaders just throwing their hands up at it.

The racism is awful obviously, but the fact there's lots of racism in Birmingham doesn't really escape anyone who lives here tbh. It might be a mixed city in overall demographics but large sections of population are entirely segregated from each other.

There something really fucking tragic happening in Birmingham with our young people. All entirely preventable but police and council leaders just throwing their hands up at it.

The racism is awful obviously, but the fact there's lots of racism in Birmingham doesn't really escape anyone who lives here tbh. It might be a mixed city in overall demographics but large sections of population are entirely segregated from each other.

That's really sad.

I visited Handsworth a lot as a child as we had family there, and remember it (the city as a whole) being quite segregated then. I haven't been back in probably 30 years (family moved) but guess I'd hoped it had improved somewhat since.

Btw the article says "Six people, four men in their 30s and two boys aged 13 and 14, have been arrested on suspicion of murder and remain in police custody."

I mean the liberals in the media like to talk the talk, e.g. Anthony Walker, Stephen Lawrence introspection, but they let the Tories create a legitimised hostile environment culture.

Utterly heartbreaking.

Boy, 14, ‘was racially abused’ before being stabbed to death in Birmingham

And what's this about? :

"14-year-old boy was subjected to racist abuse before being chased and stabbed to death in Birmingham, police have said, as he was named as Dea-John Reid.... detectives are understood not be convinced that the killing can be classed as a hate crime."

How does that make sense? I mean apart from the institutional racism, obviously.
How is it institutional racism?

Eta, oh yeah I missed the bit about hate crime, read it too fast.

Update:

Man charged with murder of 14-year-old Dea-John Reid

"A man has been charged with the murder of 14-year-old Dea-Jean Reid who was stabbed to death in Birmingham.
West Midlands Police said Michael Shields, 35, from Alvis Walk, Castle Bromwich, was due appear at Birmingham Magistrates' Court later.
The force said a 38-year-old man and 14-year-old boy remained in custody for questioning.
Two other men, aged 36 and 33, and a 13-year-old boy have been released with no further action."

One version of events being circulated is that he’d robbed some other kids at knifepoint, who had then gone and found others who chased/attacked him. The whole thing is a depressing mess. Fucking knives :(

Maybe so, but equally maybe the usual smearing of the character of a murder victim where racism is involved.

I don't claim to know either way, but I do know a child is dead, and spreading rumours at this stage is both unhelpful and disrespectful.

Maybe so, but equally maybe the usual smearing of the character of a murder victim where racism is involved.

I don't claim to know either way, but I do know a child is dead, and spreading rumours at this stage is both unhelpful and disrespectful.
one thing you'll notice as you spend more time with us is that we love speculation

Teenager stabbing: Birmingham suburb voices alarm at ‘worsening’ violence

"The owner of a nearby Jamaican takeaway said he had been subject to racist abuse on multiple occasions in the area. “I’ve lived here for 20-odd years now, and you name it, whatever name you can think to call a black person, I’ve had it,” he said, adding that he had sent his teenage son to stay elsewhere following the attack on Monday for his own safety. “But nothing will change. Life will go on. Racism is a big problem in this country. Kids have to grow up with that risk.”."

It doesn't even feel like these towns around Birmingham have been abandoned, it feels like they've been asset stripped

I’ve been refraining from commenting on this thread until the full facts emerge. However, just on this point: the peripheral estates of the city are in an appalling state and verging in parts on inhabited dereliction. Anti social behaviour and crime is endemic. Poverty and unemployment levels are back to levels not seen since the early 80’s. Almost half of the city’s population is under 30, with an overall unemployment rate of 14% (nearly 20% among the youth) – with more workers on furlough than any other local authority in the UK.

Long deliberately neglected and starved of funding by national government and criminally mismanaged by an embedded Labour council obsessed with city centre trickle down prosperity projects, Birmingham is a city approaching crisis. But it’s one largely ignored outside of the city.

Last edited:
Donate for the Funeral for Dea-John Reid, organized by Desmond Jaddoo

"On behalf on Joan Morris the Mother of Dea-John Reid who was tragically murdered in Kingstanding on Bank Holiday Monday 31st May 2021 following a vicious knife attack.

He went out to play football with friends and never returned home which has left his mother Joan heartbroken.

We are seeking assistance with Funeral and associated expenses in laying Dea-John to rest and would appreciate the support of public in doing do.

The family has coordinated Bishop Desmond Jaddoo to coordinate this and all funds received will be ised for the purposes as described."

I’ve been refraining from commenting on this thread until the full facts emerge. However, just on this point: the peripheral estates of the city are in an appalling state and verging in parts on inhabited dereliction. Anti social behaviour and crime is endemic. Poverty and unemployment levels are back to levels not seen since the early 80’s. Almost half of the city’s population is under 30, with an overall unemployment rate of 14% (nearly 20% among the youth) – with more workers on furlough than any other local authority in the UK.

Long deliberately neglected and starved of funding by national government and criminally mismanaged by an embedded Labour council obsessed with city centre trickle down prosperity projects, Birmingham is a city approaching crisis. But it’s one largely ignored outside of the city.
Wow my lad nearly moved there, it was gonna be there or Manchester. I’m glad he didn’t sounds grim.

Disturbing:

FW5L4TvWAAEBEvs

FW5L4moXkAUOv5k

_125751754_p0cjtjsn.jpg

(Source: CCTV footage of the lynching compiled by the investigating police)

The Late Dea-John Reid about to be murdered by another youth who claimed he was acting in "self-defence" (and acquitted of murder and convicted only of manslaughter).

Back
Top Bottom