Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Danny Baker's BBC London show to be axed.

Whatever you think about local radio, Newcastle and Bristol are neither little nor hell holes.

The London borough of Croydon alone has a population of 330,000 plus which makes it bigger than Newcastle and whilst Bristol is a bit bigger, both places are still minute when compared to London on almost every percievable level. What the BBC provides for London should not be judged against ANYTHING from the provinces. Which is the point.

BBC London is not just another 'local' radio station. It is meant to repesent the capital of the country which is the powerhouse both financially and culturally for not only the rest of the country but which has a global impact as well that is probably only, at best, matched by say the likes of New York.

As far as I am concerned its budget should match at least that of the likes of Radio 1 or 5.

The London borough of Croydon alone has a population of 330,000 plus which makes it bigger than Newcastle and whilst Bristol is a bit bigger, both places are still minute when compared to London on almost every percievable level. What the BBC provides for London should not be judged against ANYTHING from the provinces. Which is the point.

BBC London is not just another 'local' radio station. It is meant to repesent the capital of the country which is the powerhouse both financially and culturally for not only the rest of the country but which has a global impact as well that is probably only, at best, matched by say the likes of New York.

As far as I am concerned its budget should match at least that of the likes of Radio 1 or 5.

1. Radio Scotland covers 5 million people. That's a fair few. The metropolitan population of Manchester weighs in at 2.5 million people. That's Manchester where modern industrial cities were born, and modern left-wing political theory was created - the reason you have a website to type on today. A place of some cultural impact.

2.London's city economy is smaller than not just New York's but also than Chicago's, that of Los Angeles, is edged out by Paris and is twatted by Tokyo's. I'm not saying it's not a big player, just that London isn't quite as important as it thinks it is. Some sectors of finance are based there - but it's not the financial capital of the world. In 30 years' time, it won't be that important at all. Shanghai and Sao Paulo are coming to further push London down the list.

3. I like London but people like you were the worst thing about living there. What a shitty attitude. Enjoy the last years of being relevant while they last!

3pm.

I think I'm going to listen to DB's R5 show on iplayer now and pretend my world hasn't really fallen apart after all.

:(

Has anyone put BBC London on in the afternoon since?

Also has anyone downloaded his last show yet? It drops off iPlayer in a few days :(

Bacon is not on 5L today so it's tolerable.
Incredibly they've sent him to the USA to cover the elections:facepalm: I might actually listen to that car crash.

On 14 November 2012 09:57, Natasha Mendis <Natasha.Mendis@bbc.co.uk> wrote:

SENT ON BEHALF OF DAVID ROBEY, MANAGING EDITOR, BBC LONDON 94.9
Thank you for contacting BBC London 94.9 about the Danny Baker programme. If you have a comment, please go to our central complaints website: www.bbc.co.uk/complaints where you can find full details of our complaints procedure.
Regards,
DAVID ROBEY, MANAGING EDITOR, BBC LONDON 94.9​

As we've seen lately in other areas at the BBC -
The suits have absolutely NO idea!
Keep quiet for weeks?? :D

btw I think he was good on Johnathon Ross :)

Danny Baker has just tweeted that his daily show on BBC London is to go, to save money apparently. :mad:

FFS this is the best show on the station, original, funny, spontanteous and with some great music. They'll probably get someone cheap but rubbish like Jo Good or Jenni Barnet to replace him.

:(
Jo Good is now filling Danny's old slot. Normally I like being proved right, but not this time. She is unbearably awful.

Is she more awful than Gary Crawley?

I haven't listened to a single minute of BBC London since the axing. Resonance FM all the way now. There's nothing on Resonance that I enjoy as much as I did Danny Baker, but the general level of its output is about 100 times better than BBC London.

I confess I have listened to Robert Elms a couple of times but BBC London just sounds like fail to me now :(

Do like Resonance FM but it is a bit up and down.

Is she more awful than Gary Crawley?

I haven't listened to a single minute of BBC London since the axing. Resonance FM all the way now. There's nothing on Resonance that I enjoy as much as I did Danny Baker, but the general level of its output is about 100 times better than BBC London.
She's worse IMO.

I still enjoy Robert Elms and listen to Jazzy B on Fridays.

How is Jo Good on live on BBCLondon and Xfm at the same time? Different Jo Good? Pre-recorded one show?

Just read Danny's book again(christmas present from my s.i.l.) fucking brilliant. Just seen its on Amazon for eight quid.Bargain.

For fan's of Danny, he is on BBC4 tonight at 8.30 (and the next few weeks) presenting a show called Brushing up on.

1/4. Danny Baker uses archive footage to explore a different subject every week, and begins by looking at tunnels, sharing fun and interesting facts about many of the subterranean realms, including the Channel Tunnel. The journalist and comedian also reveals how a man makes badger holes in his garden via sewers, and champions 1990s tunneller Swampy.

For fan's of Danny, he is on BBC4 tonight at 8.30 (and the next few weeks) presenting a show called Brushing up on.

Me mate told me about this last week.Not sure about the subject matter but i think he could talk about pile ointment and make it sound interesting.

Back
Top Bottom