Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Danny Baker's BBC London show to be axed.

He's been fucked over and over by the BBC in one form or another for years.....

....he must fucking love broadcasting.....(and I think he does)......

He'll come back someway somehow......

...anyway, he has a book out now, so read that in the meantime.

I want to put my head out the window and shout 'I'm mad as hell, and I'm not going to take it anymore!'

teuchter said:
The way he's dealing with the whole thing on today's show is a perfect demonstration of how he's so good.

Indeed. I am really really pissed off with this shit. Has it been raised in parliament at all?

I want to put my head out the window and shout 'I'm mad as hell, and I'm not going to take it anymore!'
Same here. I even shed a couple of tears in the last few minutes there and that doesn't happen very often in response to the radio.

Him, Baylen and Amy clearly genuinely loved doing the show, genuinely liked each other and genuinely enjoyed the interaction with the audience. That's pretty rare. Lots of days, over the years, when I've been feeling a bit down for whatever reason, the atmosphere they created on that show cheered me up.

Really a shame.

Eddie Nestor....but no, listen, just one minute, hear me out, right, are you still there....can you hear me, do you love me.....please please please.....

Can you hear me speaking in my sincere voice...this is serious...this is my serious sincere voice...but did you know I dyed my hair purple for the marathon or something...I'm fun and whacky too you know...but seriously, this is my sincere voice now

Can you hear me speaking in my sincere voice...this is serious...this is my serious sincere voice...but did you know I dyed my hair purple for the marathon or something...I'm fun and whacky too you know...but seriously, this is my sincere voice now

Right but listen now, because I hear what you're saying, I hear you, but what you're saying is not what I'm saying, so you're not wrong, but I'm saying this, and this is what I'm saying so you can UNDERSTAND IT........So you and MY listeners can know, know what it is.....so here it is....do you mind if I share THIS...IT.....NOW.....with.....you.....slowly.....in a hushed tone....

Eddie Nestor is like those terrible radio plays - or the Archers - on R4... comes on after something you actually wanted to listen to, but you kind of don't notice for the first ten minutes and then suddenly you come round and have to leg it to the off button to kill it before it's too late and your brain's turned to mush.

Geoff Lloyd's show on Absolute is pretty good (5pm-8pm). The music is much more playlist stuff, but him and co-host Annabel are a good team.

God is Eddie Nestor still about? Horrible patronising git. Robert Elms is annoying but also has interesting stuff.

Thing is the Elms/Baker shows are the kind of thing commercial radio doesn't do - exactly what the BBC should be doing. Commercial radio is full of Nestor-style horrors.

This station is just disappointment after disappointment...GLR was a brilliant station - butchered to be turned into BBC London. Heartbreaking. But listening figures went up :mad: Philistines!! ;) Then they got rid of Norman Jay...sacrilege. It will just get to its logical conclusion as cabby FM with football followed by Why oh Why phone ins. What a load of shite.

Eddie Nestor is like those terrible radio plays - or the Archers - on R4... comes on after something you actually wanted to listen to, but you kind of don't notice for the first ten minutes and then suddenly you come round and have to leg it to the off button to kill it before it's too late and your brain's turned to mush.
hes better than Vanessa whatshername

I haven't heard Baker's show and I see that he seems to have some dedicated fans, presumably for a good reason. I only know him from the TV and dribs and drabs here and there and he comes across as intolerable self-regarding little twat. His on-air rant today was very reminiscent of DLT's resignation. He even brought up Savile the bitter little shit.

Maybe if I had listened more, maybe I'm not getting something etc. etc. but he has always been repellent to me so I couldn't bring myself to make the effort.

It annoys me because it probably means the Robert Elms show will go as well

NOOOOOOOOOOO!

If that goes, I will probably pack in listening to the station - which apart from Elms, Baker and the odd decent music programme has gone shockingly downhill since the demise of GLR.

Most of it is banal, patronising phone-in rubbish.

(Though unlike some on here I like Eddie Nestor).

BBC London's listener numbers have been falling in recent years - according to Rajar, the station had 374,000 weekly listeners in the last quarter up to September.

It is a drop of 186,000 compared with the third quarter ratings for September 2010.

The station's main rival, LBC 97.3, stood at 927,000 weekly listeners last quarter.

i wonder how much Danny B gets paid??

oryx said:
(Though unlike some on here I like Eddie Nestor).

I like Eddie Nestor too but the drive time show is pretty banal. The issues of the day distract me on the bus.

£300 a show after deductions apparently
when u say deductions do you mean tax? anyhow, thats a take home of 78k, which if he pays full tax means hes on about 150k a year. May be a lot, but XXXXs like Paxman are probably on a million a year, and sounds like Clarkson is on more than a million a year.

I haven't heard Baker's show and I see that he seems to have some dedicated fans, presumably for a good reason. I only know him from the TV and dribs and drabs here and there and he comes across as intolerable self-regarding little twat. His on-air rant today was very reminiscent of DLT's resignation. He even brought up Savile the bitter little shit.

Maybe if I had listened more, maybe I'm not getting something etc. etc. but he has always been repellent to me so I couldn't bring myself to make the effort.

Sods with microphones always go kicking and fighting. Last week it was Mike Harding. Big deal, grandad. Who has a job for life?

God is Eddie Nestor still about? Horrible patronising git. Robert Elms is annoying but also has interesting stuff.

Thing is the Elms/Baker shows are the kind of thing commercial radio doesn't do - exactly what the BBC should be doing. Commercial radio is full of Nestor-style horrors.
Yup

Back
Top Bottom