Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Cyclists: The scourge of our streets? Anti-cyclist program on Channel 5

Looks like one of those roid-raged nutters has directed her rage at the wrong person.
Lord Winston demands licence plates for bikes after cyclist kicks him
Could be a step in the right direction.
I have more than once considered what to put on a comedy number plate.

At the moment I have a small EU flag which I reckon may have had its first noticeable effect on an idiot car driver of the Hyacinth Bucket variety - perhaps a few years older than me who automatically positioned himself for a stupid overtake yards from a roundabout and then thought better of it when I looked back and loudly questioned the prudence of the move.
The look on his face as he then pulled up on my LEFT hand side said it all - having been shown up by a mere cyclist...

Looks like one of those roid-raged nutters has directed her rage at the wrong person.

Lord Winston demands licence plates for bikes after cyclist kicks him

Could be a step in the right direction.

In other news, that fella who knocked over the woman, after making absolutely no attempt to avoid her has been ordered to pay her just over £4k in damages... And £100k court costs.
Cyclist ordered to pay £105,000 for knocking over woman who crossed road looking at phone

Massive misreading if his actions here.

He was legally obliged to brake and should have, but he did attempt to veer and sounded his horn so he did attempt to avoid her.

Massive misreading if his actions here.

He was legally obliged to brake and should have, but he did attempt to veer and sounded his horn so he did attempt to avoid her.
Avoiding includes braking and stopping. Sounding your horn != avoiding.
If you're a road user and you see a person in the road in front of you, you stop. You don't see if you can use it as an excuse to brush up on your slalom and horn sounding skills.

thats an ugly car. it would be hugely improved with a big end to end keying down one side

There's a very simple answer to cunts like that, 4 x 6-inch nails placed up against their wheels, when she drives forward, 4 new tyres are needed. :thumbs:

Mention the word "bicycle" on Urban and there are about 5 or 6 posters who turn into an absolute mess of Daily Mail level seethe. 2 parts comic, 1 part tragic.
I suppose it's better that they let go of that pent up anger on here, rather than taking it out on pedestrians whilst out riding their bikes.

I caught this show on catch up. Of course it's one sided but all the bits about annoying cyclists are true, I say that as a cyclist. Of course there are an annoying minority of cyclists. It's a show kind of born out of youtube clips, a bit lazy.

What’s his problem? Other than he can’t afford a car.
He probably cycled down the inside of the bus, then blamed the driver when he nearly got squashed, and proceeded to prevent the bus passengers from getting to their places of work. Not happy putting lives at risk, he also had to put jobs at risk.

I rarely cycle any more (my bike is still fucked after I got knocked off by a van but hadn't cycled much for a couple of years before that) whereas I drive most days. Like to think I'm considerate on two or four wheels, not a bellend. But cycling is well better, it's much more fun, more dangerous too but more fun. 30 mph on a bike feels fucking great. Cars are convenient obviously but don't understand people who enjoy driving, it's a pain in the arse. Deal with it.

I rarely cycle any more (my bike is still fucked after I got knocked off by a van but hadn't cycled much for a couple of years before that) whereas I drive most days. Like to think I'm considerate on two or four wheels, not a bellend. But cycling is well better, it's much more fun, more dangerous too but more fun. 30 mph on a bike feels fucking great. Cars are convenient obviously but don't understand people who enjoy driving, it's a pain in the arse. Deal with it.
I'm pretty sure driving is more dangerous than cycling
ETA: just had a Google and I could be wrong. It's certainly healthier as a lifestyle choice as it so good for your fitness. I feel way more unsafe in cars than on bikes. It's got to the point where I will avoid getting in cars or on buses if at all possible. Don't like not being in control

ETA: just had a Google and I could be wrong. It's certainly healthier as a lifestyle choice as it so good for your fitness. I feel way more unsafe in cars than on bikes. It's got to the point where I will avoid getting in cars or on buses if at all possible. Don't like not being in control

It depends on what type of cycling I suppose. Pootling about on paths and residential streets and in parks and that is sound, road bikes on fast or busy roads is often quite frightening really though. Probably a bit biased tho cos last time I went on my road bike I ended up getting smashed from behind, landing on my head, and spending two and a half days in hospital, only cycling I've done since then is riding a shit old mountain bike down a few big paths and in the park

You're far more likely to be killed or injured on the roads as a cyclist than a driver, but iirc the All Cause Mortality Rate for regular cyclists is lower than for non cyclists which means that in terms of death, cycling is safer than not cycling.
The extra risk of death from a collision is more than balanced off by the reduced risks of death from inactivity.
That doesn't take into account the risk of injury though.

In conclusion, risk is complicated.

You're far more likely to be killed or injured on the roads as a cyclist than a driver, but iirc the All Cause Mortality Rate for regular cyclists is lower than for non cyclists which means that in terms of death, cycling is safer than not cycling.
The extra risk of death from a collision is more than balanced off by the reduced risks of death from inactivity.
That doesn't take into account the risk of injury though.

In conclusion, risk is complicated.
Which is of course an argument for building proper segregated cycling infrastructure everywhere...

How do you do on ferries, trains or planes?

I'm trying to remember the last time I was conveyed by motorised transport - therefore at more than an average 10MPH or a maximum 20MPH.
I think it was when I got sick last year and had to catch a bus to go for an Xray.
Gawd help me I will need to buy a car next year at some point after about 12 years of not driving - then depending how things go, a year or two later I may have to sit the extensive French test.

Back
Top Bottom