Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Crafty Thread - what are you working on at the moment?

tank top still ongoing but just about to finish a knitted scarf that is a gift for a friend ready for next weekend

I think I want need one :oops:

We have a bender, but he lives in the living room :D

3822517429_de4e38ffaf_n.jpg

I ignored the sunshine and cracked on with dressmaking today. Made some progress and then realised I'd made a massive mistake and cut the skirt out loads too small. Something like this happens to me every time I make something now. WTF is wrong with me?

Fortunately I have stupid amounts of fabric so can just cut out another.

I sewed up some of my rainbow jumper today, only one side and sleeve to add/stitch then it's finished :) I HATE sewing though :facepalm:

Just been for my first sewing class, it was ace. We had tea and cupcakes and the women running it were lovely.

We did run 40 minutes over though!

We made reversible bags. : )

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1366062892.910123.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1366062907.792831.jpg

As I hadn't used a sewing machine since I was about 11, I'm really chuffed.

Woohoo sparklefish!! I really need to get my machine out, as I'm dying to make stuff, but I have a gazillion other things to do first and not really the room to set up in this little shoebox. :D

I did see a crafty thing mentioned locally, so I might join a local stitch and bitch. What's about in SW9 Biddlybee boohoo eme ??

Woohoo sparklefish!! I really need to get my machine out, as I'm dying to make stuff, but I have a gazillion other things to do first and not really the room to set up in this little shoebox. :D

I did see a crafty thing mentioned locally, so I might join a local stitch and bitch. What's about in SW9 Biddlybee boohoo eme ??
There's Sewoverit on Landor Rd. It's very, very chichi. No idea what their classes or anything are like, I just went in once to see what they had in the shop and it's all a bit full price for me as I have my own discounty sources.

Nope, half killed myself with the hours so I'm on a gap year at the moment. I also recently ran a once a week sewing club, but despite giving my time for free and getting everyone to pay for the hall hire for 10 weeks upfront , attendance wasn't great and I decided not to carry on. Finding the time you need to dedicate to get good at sewing isn't easy in time poor London.

If you don't regular office hours zenie, you should definitely check out Ray at Sunshine Arts cafe. He runs a carnival club out of a couple of arches in Loughborough Junction and has opened a really nice cafe and craft space. Advertising isn't his strong point but I think its knitting Wed 3-7pm, sewing Thur 4-8pm, sewing & alterations Fri 4-8pm and some general craft on Saturday. His Facebook page is the best place for info.

There's a place about to open up in Streatham opposite Morrisons - it has a rather poncey name, Serendipity Tea & Craft Rooms, but I'm reserving judgement until it opens!

Otherwise I'm trying to stay involved with the Brixton Tinkerspace initiative as I think the idea of shared making space is a great one, but it needs a few more sewing/crafting members to balance out the electronics/Arduino geekery (sorry Crispy).

If you don't regular office hours zenie, you should definitely check out Ray at Sunshine Arts cafe. He runs a carnival club out of a couple of arches in Loughborough Junction and has opened a really nice cafe and craft space. Advertising isn't his strong point but I think its knitting Wed 3-7pm, sewing Thur 4-8pm, sewing & alterations Fri 4-8pm and some general craft on Saturday. His Facebook page is the best place for info.
Have you got a link to his page?

There's Sewoverit on Landor Rd. It's very, very chichi. No idea what their classes or anything are like, I just went in once to see what they had in the shop and it's all a bit full price for me as I have my own discounty sources.

Yeh it is a bit twee and Cl'am ;)

Nope, half killed myself with the hours so I'm on a gap year at the moment. I also recently ran a once a week sewing club, but despite giving my time for free and getting everyone to pay for the hall hire for 10 weeks upfront , attendance wasn't great and I decided not to carry on. Finding the time you need to dedicate to get good at sewing isn't easy in time poor London.

There's a place about to open up in Streatham opposite Morrisons - it has a rather poncey name, Serendipity Tea & Craft Rooms, but I'm reserving judgement until it opens!

Otherwise I'm trying to stay involved with the Brixton Tinkerspace initiative as I think the idea of shared making space is a great one, but it needs a few more sewing/crafting members to balance out the electronics/Arduino geekery (sorry Crispy).

Oooh thanks, I will have a look at them - a Brixton Tinkerspace could definitely be worth following up. Maybe Craft Club could put the pressure on Crispy :D

Stitch and bitch tends to be knitting, I think Boudicca is the person in the know about sewing spaces, pretty sure nipsla has done a local course too :)

I really need to learn how to knit :facepalm:

Thanks hun. Found loads of packs of stencils reduced from £12 to £1 at a hardware store so bought them and am now thinking about how best to use them...as I have not long moved I do need to change a few things that don't suit this place so I have an excuse....gonna do more this evening, gonna go stencil crazy! :D

I've basically finished my dress and am just grappling with the belt. It quite clearly needs a buckle belt rather than just a tie, but shops no longer really sell any kind of range of buckles, or kits for covering buckles, nor do they sell belting (the stuff you put in the middle). I managed to get some stiffening from the curtain department of John Lewis and am getting a covered buckle made (about £4.50) from Taylors. Just a slidey buckle. I hope the fucker stays done up!

Taylors is a bonkers shop btw. She put her hand immediately on some buttons for the dress which were perfect though.

They do covered belts too, but I baulked at spending £17. However, having spent the afternoon painfully forcing a strip of stiffening into a tube of fabric a millimetre at a time, I may rethink that policy.

heh, having turned my own belts in the past i was more than happy to get one made last time i needed it, (edit: not from there but i can't remember where), they did a great job :thumbs:

heh, having turned my own belts in the past i was more than happy to get one made last time i needed it, (edit: not from there but i can't remember where), they did a great job :thumbs:
I remembered you saying something about that and was like "Surely it's not that hard to do it yourself?" Sometimes there's only one way to find out...

Anyway, while I'm waiting for the buckle, I've got this fabric and need to consider what kind of dress to turn it into. I'm fighting the urge to make another shirtdress :rolleyes: the pattern is not perhaps as big as it looks - each beach section is about 6" long.

MAKO1827%20(2)-400x400.jpg

I remembered you saying something about that and was like "Surely it's not that hard to do it yourself?" Sometimes there's only one way to find out...

Anyway, while I'm waiting for the buckle, I've got this fabric and need to consider what kind of dress to turn it into. I'm fighting the urge to make another shirtdress :rolleyes: the pattern is not perhaps as big as it looks - each beach section is about 6" long.

MAKO1827%20(2)-400x400.jpg
Oh my god I love that!

Actually - where is it from. Maybe I actually need it. For a circle skirt, probably.
It was from Fabrics Galore on Lavender Hill and I think was around £8 a metre. I also saw it in John Lewis yesterday where it seemed to be £17?! It comes in various colourways (very similar but the deckchairs etc are different colours) and there are some related designs.

This is one of the related ones: http://dittofabrics.co.uk/plain-and...ed-lighthouse-and-yacht-printed-cotton-fabric

Back
Top Bottom