Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Covid testing : where when how and what happens next.

Still waiting for my daughter’s test result, but whatever she has she has passed it on to me. Clearly this means it can’t be Covid though, since children don’t infect adults :hmm:

Where to start with this shit....

Screenshot 2020-09-14 at 12.29.48.png
Screenshot 2020-09-14 at 12.30.23.png

My arse is it anything like the loo roll thing. I see those sorts of comments as just being part of the attempts to manage demand by trying to shame people away from getting tested in certain scenarios.

You will have to be patient :facepalm:

This is not so far away from the priorities earlier in the year when protecting the NHS was achieved in part by convincing a proportion of people who should have been patients that they should not be patients and should just sit at home patiently waiting for death instead. Which in my book does rather undermine the purpose of protecting the NHS in the first place.

Protecting the test & trace system by artificially limiting demand sounds like a great way to lose sight of what the test & trace system is supposed to be there to achieve.

Clearly what happened is, everyone went back to restaurants, workplaces and schools as instructed by the government, but as there is little or no social distancing, mask wearing or extra hygiene in those places, infections with all kinds of viruses has gone through the roof.

Couple of weeks ago I had symptom, housemates had more symptoms

hot online and booked a drive through. Got it for the next day at 1000 and cracked it, result back next day by text.

I would appear the system has gone to shit since then

Couple of weeks ago I had symptom, housemates had more symptoms

hot online and booked a drive through. Got it for the next day at 1000 and cracked it, result back next day by text.

I would appear the system has gone to shit since then

Yeah, same with people I know. Also I think a fair nunber of people are still having that experience, it's the ones that aren't we hear about, and those are likely to be the lower priority non-institutional tests (care homes and hospitals are taking up a large percentage of the capacity).

I’ve got a mild sore throat and I’m tired and a have a persistent cough, although it’s slightly wet, not dry. Also been sneezing.

The guidelines and facts are confused and confusing about whether this set of symptoms might be Covid, but I think it would be sensible to get a test.

I’m in Brixton. My nearest drive through test site is Greenwich, which is a bitch to get to in the car. The other options are walk ins, but they’re in Waltham and Newham.

I’m online for the home test now but their criteria for eligibility are so narrow and outdated. So to get a home test I need to lie.

So so so shit.

Considering current problems getting tests. What's the knock on for contacts isolating? Does track & trace occur only for a positive test?
That's right. The advice is that you might want to tell contacts if you have symptoms - it's up to you - but your contacts aren't required to self-isolate or get tested unless and until you get a positive test result, whereupon track & trace is go.

I am officially bricking it again. I allowed myself a lovely couple of weeks of mild optimism, but it's evaporating fast.
Hearing about Thora's situation (be well, Thora and family!) who did not only realise that a test might be a good idea despite initial non-classic covid symptoms but also managed to get a test done - this is how it should be done and should work.

But to think about the hundreds or thousands of families who the government is just in the process of discouraging from seeking tests, and who will at best stay at home for a couple of days, and otherwise pass it on in their nurseries and schools and workplaces all across the land, and for whom no contact tracing/isolating of contacts will spring into action, as discussed above...I fear we are already in deep shit again.
Especially as the government will of course be reluctant to cast the net of cruder measures more widely, such as ...err...school closures😖...that would be needed in the absence of functioning test-trace-isolate.

It's got a horrible sense of deja vu about it. :(

Surely in-person uni can't go ahead now..?

SheilaNaGig I've been told that home tests are released at 8am and 5pm and centre slots at 10am, and 7 or 8pm. No idea how accurate that is but we did suddenly manage to get a drive through slot at 10am for that afternoon, and I was on the website ready at 8am this morning and managed to get home tests ordered.

I’ve got a mild sore throat and I’m tired and a have a persistent cough, although it’s slightly wet, not dry. Also been sneezing.

The guidelines and facts are confused and confusing about whether this set of symptoms might be Covid, but I think it would be sensible to get a test.

I’m in Brixton. My nearest drive through test site is Greenwich, which is a bitch to get to in the car. The other options are walk ins, but they’re in Waltham and Newham.

I’m online for the home test now but their criteria for eligibility are so narrow and outdated. So to get a home test I need to lie.

So so so shit.
somerleyton road in brixton pop up test centre is open tuesdays, fridays and probably sundays; usually very quiet and open to people popping in for a test without booking (or at least were recently) they're done and packed up by 4pm

Burgess Park tomorrow.
it might be an idea to get pop up ones with days/times they are on and location in a list somewhere as I was trying to help a friend get to one today but brixton was too far to walk from central london and my tiny google-powers didn't return any results.

it might be an idea to get pop up ones with days/times they are on and location in a list somewhere as I was trying to help a friend get to one today but brixton was too far to walk from central london and my tiny google-powers didn't return any results.
How do you know where and when they are? Is it just from going past and seeing them?

It does seem to have taken up quite quickly. We went for a walk-in test middle of last week because my son had a cough (negative result). At that time it was really quiet. About ten bays, but only us and one other family in there. We know another family that went on Monday morning and there was a ten-minute queue (negative, and they got their results the same day), and another that went Monday evening. 90 minute wait and they were told the centre would be going to appointments because they couldn't cope. Today the centre was on the news and they were turning people away.

Anecdotal, but IMO what might be happening is a load of school kids that went back last week have picked up a variety of different viruses, and then the families are having to get tested.

They get told that it's 'inconclusive'. But up to now, this has mainly meant the testing was performed incorrectly. Whether the system will distinguish between a regular negative sample and one that is too old I have no idea.

They get told that it's 'inconclusive'. But up to now, this has mainly meant the testing was performed incorrectly. Whether the system will distinguish between a regular negative sample and one that is too old I have no idea.
My reading of void samples because they're (clearly) too old or transported at the wrong temperature etc is that they wouldn't bother going through a pointless process, i.e. that the test itself wouldn't be done. I may very well be wrong, but was wondering what people would be told in that situation.

And for those who are told the test was inconclusive - are they offered another (automatically)?

Back
Top Bottom