Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Covid testing : where when how and what happens next.

Still no test. Anyone else managed to get one? At this rate I won’t be able to leave the house until next weekend when I’m supposed to be on leave and doing lovely things. Fucked off.
Have you tried just using a random post code to get an appointment anywhere? Apparently you can then just turn up at your nearest test place.

Have you tried just using a random post code to get an appointment anywhere? Apparently you can then just turn up at your nearest test place.
I did try a Scotland postcode that I’d written down for a return but nothing.

Senior Minister Jacob Rees-Mogg has been criticised after he described concern over coronavirus testing shortages as "carping".

Speaking in the House of Commons, the Leader of the House said people should instead celebrate the "phenomenal success" of increasing test capacity.

Labour's shadow health minister Alex Norris said he should "immediately apologise" for his comments.

A No 10 spokesman said the government was increasing test capacity.

Apart from the weird nerve pain I’m getting that also accompanied a stubborn and exhausting cough I had earlier in the year, all my symptoms have resolved. So I’m going to assume it’s not Covid. Except that the nerve pain could possibly suggest that it is.

Still no luck with finding a test.

My doctor advised me to get my son tested...can't get a fucking test though so have to isolate for two weeks with no clear answer. Constantly trying the website but it says no drive or walk through centres available.

This is bullshit isn’t it. Not being able to get a test means I will have to get already slammed colleagues to cover my work, we can’t leave the fucking house and my husband will still be isolating on my birthday. And I probably haven’t fucking got it. I’ve been refreshing since yesterday fucking morning, every spare moment.

This is bullshit isn’t it. Not being able to get a test means I will have to get already slammed colleagues to cover my work, we can’t leave the fucking house and my husband will still be isolating on my birthday. And I probably haven’t fucking got it. I’ve been refreshing since yesterday fucking morning, every spare moment.
After my tantrum, I’ve managed to get a test at my local site tomorrow morning. Bang on 8 when they release the new batch. 👍

An interesting quirk of the contact tracing system, is they only seem to be able to cope with individual contacts, not places with lots of people :confused:

When they went through the places my 3yo had been, I told them school, and a music class. The contact tracer needed individual names and contact details for the people she had been within 1/2m of, but of course I couldn't give those. Instead I gave the name of the school and headteacher's name and number, and the music group leader's name and email address, and said undoubtedly my child would have been in contact with other children (and teachers) but I don't know who.

Rather than contact those settings and speak to them, the music group leader just got an automated email that said she had been identified as a close contact and needed to self-isolate, no name of who she had been in contact with or when or that it was related to the music group.
Headteacher got a phonecall, again saying she had been in close contact with a positive case but giving no details.

My doctor advised me to get my son tested...can't get a fucking test though so have to isolate for two weeks with no clear answer. Constantly trying the website but it says no drive or walk through centres available.

Admittedly this was a fair while ago, but I'd been informed of drive-in tests being on offer at a 'local sports club that we both know about' ;)

I haven't rechecked (sorry), but were you aware of this too? And aware of what might have changed more recently?

Much more importantly, I really hope you and boy find a test source not far off very soon :)

Last edited:
Just been for my test. It wasn’t busy at all, one car in front of me. They’re being really strict now and my QR code was checked 3-4 times and I had to scroll to show them my test centre.
Glad I didn’t take the Bristol one that briefly flashed up yesterday.

Admittedly this was a fair while ago, but I'd been informed of drive-in tests being on offer at a 'local sports club that we both know about' ;)

I haven't rechecked (sorry), but were you aware of this too? And aware of what might have changed more recently?

Much more importantly, I really hope you and boy find a test source not far off very soon :)
Unfortunately you have to book it online, you can't just turn up. Screenshot_20200918-093505_Chrome.jpg

Just been for my test. It wasn’t busy at all, one car in front of me. They’re being really strict now and my QR code was checked 3-4 times and I had to scroll to show them my test centre.
Glad I didn’t take the Bristol one that briefly flashed up yesterday.

I love how problem = booking system fucked so test centres are empty while people can't book tests.

Normal person solution = turn up at empty testing centre without booking. = people get tests. Testing centres not dead.

Govt solution = actively prevent normal person solution so centres are dead and people cant get tests.

Managed to book test for this afternoon 30 miles away. They then said I need proof of my sons I.d...I have none. Unsure whether to make the journey risking being turned away.

Managed to book test for this afternoon 30 miles away. They then said I need proof of my sons I.d...I have none. Unsure whether to make the journey risking being turned away.
God thats annoying. What sort of thing do they expect you to bring - would anything that's got his name written on it do, like i don't know something from school?

God thats annoying. What sort of thing do they expect you to bring - would anything that's got his name written on it do, like i don't know something from school?
I'm searching for anything now. All our stuff is in storage as we're living in a caravan rn. Argh.

I love how problem = booking system fucked so test centres are empty while people can't book tests.

Normal person solution = turn up at empty testing centre without booking. = people get tests. Testing centres not dead.

Govt solution = actively prevent normal person solution so centres are dead and people cant get tests.

I dont think the root problem is the booking system being fucked, I was under the impression that its lab capacity where the backlog is and they have deliberately fucked with the booking system to reduce demand.

I dont think the root problem is the booking system being fucked, I was under the impression that its lab capacity where the backlog is and they have deliberately fucked with the booking system to reduce demand.

well yes, that also. I don't know if the booking system fuck up is deliberate or just another fuck up. It's hard to tell with all the lies and gaslighting.

I can't believe they have learnt nothing in the past 6 months. Well, I can but, yunno.

I didn’t get asked for ID although it said I needed it in my email. Just take whatever you can. Hope he can be seen.

well yes, that also. I don't know if the booking system fuck up is deliberate or just another fuck up. It's hard to tell with all the lies and gaslighting.

I can't believe they have learnt nothing in the past 6 months. Well, I can but, yunno.
I think the booking system was fucked a few weeks ago which is why they were advising to turn up but now they are deliberately restricting testing it seems.
They are definitely coming out in batches.

I think the booking system was fucked a few weeks ago which is why they were advising to turn up but now they are deliberately restricting testing it seems.
They are definitely coming out in batches.

I still think the original booking fuckups were related to demand too. Its just that the central authorities which were indulging in their own special way of managing this did not share information about the problem with others. So other parts of the system, eg local authorities, were coming up with ways to bypass the system blockage, not realising that the blockage was deliberate.

I may not be completely spot on with this, it might not be the entire story, but its a great big stinking chunk of it.

So is it going to kick in at some point that it'll be restricted to only certain cohorts? Or is that a threat if people don't stop 'wasting' :rolleyes: them by, y'know, having them when they have symptoms?

SheilaNaGig I've been told that home tests are released at 8am and 5pm and centre slots at 10am, and 7 or 8pm. No idea how accurate that is but we did suddenly manage to get a drive through slot at 10am for that afternoon, and I was on the website ready at 8am this morning and managed to get home tests ordered.
No tests and then got one at 8am. Good intel thanks. :cool:

Hancock appears to have laid out the priorities in the era of test rationing.

He said tests would first be prioritised for acute clinical care, second for care homes, third for NHS staff including GPs and pharmacists, fourth for targeted testing to track new outbreaks, fifth for teachers with COVID-19 symptoms, and then the general public with symptoms, while prioritising those in areas where there are more infections.

Education doesnt seem to be as high up their list of priorities after all, funny that.

Back
Top Bottom