Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

COVID-19: Recycling and related subjects

Would refuse collectors really be noticing that, though? Kitchen waste is in black sacks for the most part, so unless people are putting their unopened fruit and veg in the recycling bin, that sounds at least slightly made-up.

Eh? Kitchen waste is put separately in small green bins. Easily noticed when overflowing. You put kitchen waste in your black sacks? Really? We've had green bins for nearly 10 years, as have most people I know. Where on Earth do you live?

Eh? Kitchen waste is put separately in small green bins. Easily noticed when overflowing. You put kitchen waste in your black sacks? Really? We've had green bins for nearly 10 years, as have most people I know. Where on Earth do you live?
unopened food isn't 'kitchen waste' tho. And meat should never be put in there. I'm well dubious about some of the pictures, and wouldn't be surprised top find they were the cleared out fridges from people being thrown out of their rented accommodation/leftovers from weekly rentals and the like.

unopened food isn't 'kitchen waste' tho. And meat should never be put in there. I'm well dubious about some of the pictures, and wouldn't be surprised top find they were the cleared out fridges from people being thrown out of their rented accommodation/leftovers from weekly rentals and the like.

I haven't seen any pictures and never mentioned meat. Unopened food that has 'gone off' should certainly be opened for kitchen waste compost, not landfill. I can't remember the last time I put waste food into a black bag. I'm a bit surprised and appalled that anyone does it.

We don't have food recycling in West Sussex, it goes in with general waste, as is common is many areas.

We don't have food recycling in West Sussex, it goes in with general waste, as is common is many areas.

When does Worthing move into the 21st century? Is there a schedule?

If anyone is caught here putting food waste in a black bag, the black bag remains with them and they get a letter through the door with a warning.

Last edited:
They stopped our food/garden waste collection due to the pandemic, instructed to put all food waste in the general waste for the duration.

When does Worthing move into the 21st century? Is there a schedule?

Cheeky fucker. :D

Over half of homes in England don't get food waste collected separately, some get it collected with garden waste, but not many. :p

More than 13.4 million English households currently do not get their kitchen scraps picked up separately from the black bin rubbish, an analysis of data by the PA news agency suggests.
Figures provided by 326 English local authorities to waste reduction body Wrap for 2018/2019 shows almost half – 160 councils, covering 11.7 million households – do not provide any food waste collections for their residents.
SOURCE

Fenland. We don't have separate food waste bins here, so unless you buy your own composting bin you haven't got much choice. :(

Cheeky fucker. :D

Over half of homes in England don't get food waste collected separately, some get it collected with garden waste, but not many. :p
Fenland. We don't have separate food waste bins here, so unless you buy your own composting bin you haven't got much choice. :(

West Wales in national leader shock. That's surprised me. Parts of Carmarthenshire still have the rag and bone man, shouting "EH-kneeeeeee aye-ernnnnnnnnnnnnnn"

I haven't seen any pictures and never mentioned meat. Unopened food that has 'gone off' should certainly be opened for kitchen waste compost, not landfill. I can't remember the last time I put waste food into a black bag. I'm a bit surprised and appalled that anyone does it.
the pics I've seen have (almost) all been of unopened items, and included various meaty looking products. We dont get food waste recycling here, anyway, and only those on the posh side of town get any green waste. Fortunately we have a compost bin.

We don’t have food waste collections here either and garden waste is an opt in you have to pay for. I’d say the majority don’t have this as standard.

Lancashire County Council collected kerbside food waste for about a year and then cancelled the whole operation, now it has to go in the main bin.

No kitchen waste bins in Leeds either. Two seperate recycling bins (one for glass, one for the rest). I think you have to arrange for garden waste to be collected

We only have a rubbish or recycling wheelie.

Funnily enough there’s very little waste being generated at ours at the moment, no food has been wasted and any packaging is properly washed and cut up so even the recycling is at a minimum.

No kitchen waste bins in Leeds either. Two seperate recycling bins (one for glass, one for the rest). I think you have to arrange for garden waste to be collected

i’m pretty sure most blocks of flats don’t have kitchen waste separated, ours certainly isn’t, can’t really think how it would be done without one big stinky rotten bin

We used to have a kitchen waste/compost caddy collection, but after more cuts in funding and several years of the local paper slagging them off, they have now stopped.
We don't even get a green bin for garden waste unless you pay extra. One bin for general waste and one for recycling (glass, card, paper, tins and plastic, all in one bin)

No food waste collections where I am, so anything that can't go in the compost or on the fire (dried orange peel is a good tip for that, BTW) has to go in general waste. And a lot of people don't have gardens to put a composter in, or fires in their homes you can safely throw things into.

Our green tubs are for glass. Orange for plastic and metal, blue for paper and cardboard. Everything else goes in bags in the wheelie bin

Lincolnshire

Back
Top Bottom