Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Coronavirus - worldwide breaking news, discussion, stats, updates and more

Received a text message from my GP surgery saying:

If you have returned from these specific areas since 19th February you should call NHS111 and self-isolate even if you do not have symptoms: IRAN, SPECIFIC LOCKDOWN AREAS IN NORTHERN ITALY, SPECIAL CARE ZONES IN SOUTH KOREA, HUBEI PROVINCE

Guess they're pumping this out more or less nationally, as it seems unlikely my GP surgery is being particularly proactive about this.

Some useful about face masks - especially the dangers of using them...

My feeling is they see it as swine flu 2 not SARS 2. They might come to their senses by which time it will be far too late.

No, the message and mood music is different, they know this isnt the same or similar.

It does certainly seem to be the case that they want to start with the traditional 'business as usual' approach, but expect to have to switch to something very different.

The impression has certainly been put out there today that they'd like to have the business as usual phase last this whole month. I'm not sure if that is likely or not, I havent done the maths. I'd be tempted to say no, maybe 3 weeks if they are lucky, maybe much less than that, maybe I am miles off.

Where did this idea that the virus can be killed by heat, something like 27C come from? Someone was spouting this today. Surely human body temperature is something like 36C so the virus wouldn't be able to survive that. Was it some crap on facebook? Anyone come across it?

No, the message and mood music is different, they know this isnt the same or similar.

It does certainly seem to be the case that they want to start with the traditional 'business as usual' approach, but expect to have to switch to something very different.

The impression has certainly been put out there today that they'd like to have the business as usual phase last this whole month. I'm not sure if that is likely or not, I havent done the maths. I'd be tempted to say no, maybe 3 weeks if they are lucky, maybe much less than that, maybe I am miles off.

Cases double every 7 days (without a mass screw up like hospital-based spread via nurses and doctors) was something a virologist noted.

Big gatherings in business as usual will exacerbate the problem.

Here's a good interview China’s cases of Covid-19 are finally declining. A WHO expert explains why.

Where did this idea that the virus can be killed by heat, something like 27C come from? Someone was spouting this today. Surely human body temperature is something like 36C so the virus wouldn't be able to survive that. Was it some crap on facebook? Anyone come across it?

Someone posted a facebook "helpful list" on the virus several pages ago.

The collective wisdom of U75 trashed it.

One of the first to be trashed was the temperature thing.

Originally I have no idea, though Trump mentioned that the virus might just go away when it gets warmer in a press conference over the weekend.

Im about 87% convinced that me and my immediate neighbours (friends) have all had it already (from jan to early feb) . Thought it was just flu but dry cough fever and everyone we met got it. Don’t think that makes me an invincible zombie but more fascinated than terrified tbh.

Im about 87% convinced that me and my immediate neighbours (friends) have all had it already (from jan to early feb) . Thought it was just flu but dry cough fever and everyone we met got it. Don’t think that makes me an invincible zombie but more fascinated than terrified tbh.

But if it had been successfully transmitting in the UK that early, wouldn't we have seen more deaths?

I have had similar thoughts about myself - my husband and I had a cold the week that the virus broke out in China, and we'd taken several planes and spent the day walking round Chengdu six days prior to developing symptoms. It would be nice to think we had developed a mild version of the virus, because then I could be less worried about being a carrier now, but there's no way to know. I wish there was. :(

Hmm... There was a very coughy flu that went round, so it was probably that. Obviously can't definitively say it was, but the heartless bastard who has workshop space next to me blithely wandered round with it attempting to infect me for a couple of weeks. I didn't get it... I do get the flu vaccine. That is purely anecdotal of course, could be a number of reasons I didn't get it, but there are often flus/other viruses going about that give you one hell of a cough. Got one while I was in China :hmm: winter 2018, and one in the UK a couple of years before that.

But if it had been successfully transmitting in the UK that early, wouldn't we have seen more deaths?

I have had similar thoughts about myself - my husband and I had a cold the week that the virus broke out in China, and we'd taken several planes and spent the day walking round Chengdu six days prior to developing symptoms. It would be nice to think we had developed a mild version of the virus, because then I could be less worried about being a carrier now, but there's no way to know. I wish there was. :(
Hmm.
No way to know obvs but as far as I understand it the idea now is it’s been circulating for at least 6 weeks everywhere where cases are now known to be so if you had a flu like thing with the high fever dry caugh etc it’s possible. Doesn’t mean we zombies couldn’t all catch it a second time though.

As to having seen more deaths , aids was around killing people for about 2 decades before anyone knew there was such a thing as aids I think.

I tend to post this sort of graphic from time to time to try to help balance our own thoughts about what we might have been ill with recently. Not that I am ruling anything out, but just look at some of the other possibilities too.

I have been ill once or twice in the last month myself, no way for me to determine what it was. I cant even tell if I was ill with one long thing or two different things during that time.

Screenshot 2020-03-02 at 22.27.09.png

from https://assets.publishing.service.g...kly_national_influenza_report_week_9_2020.pdf

One of my colleagues is really panicking about corona but is constantly coughing in the office without ever attempting to put their hand over their mouth. It drives me batshit! I keep hoping someone else will say something so I don’t have to

Coughing into hands is a big no no, because then people touch stuff with those hands and you have more surface contamination to worry about.

One of my colleagues is really panicking about corona but is constantly coughing in the office without ever attempting to put their hand over their mouth. It drives me batshit! I keep hoping someone else will say something so I don’t have to

Its time to organise working from home.

Coughing into hands is a big no no, because then people touch stuff with those hands and you have more surface contamination to worry about.
Yeah true but still cough into tissue, elbows (sorry) or anything just not spluttering into the air in our open plan office.

Yeah true but still cough into tissue, elbows (sorry) or anything just not spluttering into the air in our open plan office.

Yes, I agree, I was just adding on the point about not coughing onto hands as an extra.

The whole cough into your elbow thing was amusing to me when it first popped onto my radar, given that I became interested in infectious respiratory diseases long after I came up with that name. If it helps people remember that advice and provides opportunities to play off my username then I'm all for it :) Its a shame there arent more opportunities for actual puns though.

Back
Top Bottom