Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Coronavirus - worldwide breaking news, discussion, stats, updates and more

I think the British government is taking it all too lightly.

On cases

Apparently 10% of infections in Japan are asymptomatic.

In one instance where data on asymptomatic infected individuals was revealed, a study published Feb. 12 in the Chinese Journal of Epidemiology suggested that the group accounted for only 1.95% of all lab-confirmed infections. In contrast, this group made up 10.2% of total infections in Japan’s figures as of Wednesday, or 19 of 186 infections, excluding those from the Diamond Princess cruise ship in the port of Yokohama.

China's stats now do not include them.

However, multiple studies from both Chinese and overseas researchers have been published, suggesting that individuals infected with Covid-19 can be contagious even if they do not feel ill.

So it's frightening but possible for someone to be perfectly normal, not sense they are infected come back from central Italy have no symptoms doesn't need to self-quarantine as a result and then goes out and about to infect tens of others.

Is it a modest store of basic foods, to sustain you whilst you self exclude for two weeks?
Or piles of luxury foods from Fortnum and Mason?
two weeks sustainance for me, Fortnum and Mason haven't seen me in their store since I was a nipper :)

You're not the only one. I keep a good supply in my house. I do it because that's how we lived when I was growing up. We were only marginally on the grid and it didn't take much for the power to go out in the middle of winter for a week or more at a time. You dealt with by being ready when it (inevitably) happened.
I was chided something rotten because apart from my phone I didn't have any torches or candles.
I hadn't expected to be without electric, but of course I was.

Since then I have bought a head torch, and will be looking out for candles tomorrow night.

And, I am not stocking up, well I am, I bought some more tins tonight on my way home. Only those with the easy open though, the last time I had an old fashioned one I managed to cut myself quite nastily when washing it up.

So it's frightening but possible for someone to be perfectly normal, not sense they are infected come back from central Italy have no symptoms doesn't need to self-quarantine as a result and then goes out and about to infect tens of others.
Someone who is a friend of a friend is living exactly this scenario above.

Came back from Northern Italy last week and was told not to come to work. Full pay etc, so no hardship.

Has been carry on her life as if she's just on holiday for two weeks. Absolutely no self-isolation, which was the point of her going home.

:(

I've done that once or twice. Its just another sign that its not a very good name, and it hasnt really caught on that well either. Unlike the virus itself :(
They should have just called it SARS 2. It would have scared people into action sooner and thats what the virus is called anyway...

That is similar to the situation at the moment which is that someone can be incubating the virus, be infectious to those around them but have no symptoms. They may go on to have symptoms but they may not.

Came back from Northern Italy last week and was told not to come to work. Full pay etc, so no hardship.

Has been carry on her life as if she's just on holiday for two weeks. Absolutely no self-isolation, which was the point of her going home.

She's a cunt.
End of.

That really makes me mad.
😡

I overheard a 6 yr old immunocompromised kid telling another kid that he would be the first to die. He was matter of fact about it. "You'll be ok...you have a good immune system. I think I'll probably die."
Broke my heart hearing that.

Here's another bellweather

Santa Clara California has a husband and wife recently travelling to Egypt, both testing positive at the hospital.

A French guy also came back from Egypt and fell sick soon after.

Egypt appears to unconfirmed cases.

Name and shame to neighbours and Public Health as a first step.

The scariest thing is that the latest people in the UK to be confirmed infected are (apart from the few in the same family) from all over.. Hertfordshire, Scotland, Essex, West Yorkshire, London, Gloucester... I mean what's the chances that these people from all different places are just wandering around by themselves only ones infected??

Name and shame to neighbours and Public Health as a first step.

Sounds like it was her workplace issuing that (sensible!) instruction - cos PHE advice in that situation would be that she's fine to carry on as normal, wouldn't it (no symptoms)?!

Don't mean she's not a dickhead but actually, I reckon LOADS of people would see that as a paid for extended holiday, when it doesn't break any current advice.

I am going to write an email to the Health Secretary & Public Health England urging stronger and proactive nonpharmaceutical interventions.

I urge a read of this article about differing responses to the previous world pandemic in 1918, very stats heavy

Here's a diagram from the article - go hard and go early is the answer for a new virus no host immunity

PhillyStLouis-2020-02-24-141814.png

Peak is sharper where social distancing is not enacted, but 'the economy' is 'back to normal' quicker after more deaths.

This is influenza and not coronavirus which is perhaps more contagious or lethal as yet we don't know we should be on the side of precaution.

It is or was A Level biology.

I dont think Japan wants its people to carry on with business as usual. Cancelling public events and closing schools are two large steps that do tend to ensure that no sense of normality persists.

I've been surprised at how few deaths there've been in Japan in total 7, not counting Diamond Princess.

Here's a diagram from the article - go hard and go early is the answer for a new virus no host immunity

PhillyStLouis-2020-02-24-141814.png

Peak is sharper where social distancing is not enacted, but 'the economy' is 'back to normal' quicker after more deaths.

This is influenza and not coronavirus which is perhaps more contagious or lethal as yet we don't know we should be on the side of precaution.

It is or was A Level biology.

What do you think the reason is for the government statements which seem to say they intend to not do anything much here for at least a month?

I've been surprised at how few deaths there've been in Japan in total 7, not counting Diamond Princess.

Japan was always likely to be on the list of countries whose numbers I would take with an extra pinch of salt, and its certainly been that way so far.

But I'm talking about number of cases as much as deaths. I will wait and see how their numbers evolve.

After all, South Korea has managed to detect thousands of cases, but were on about 22 deaths last time I checked.

Given the lag between getting infected, getting sick, and dying, I must remember to allow additional time for death statistics vs confirmed case stats.

I was chided something rotten because apart from my phone I didn't have any torches or candles.
I hadn't expected to be without electric, but of course I was.

Since then I have bought a head torch, and will be looking out for candles tomorrow night.

And, I am not stocking up, well I am, I bought some more tins tonight on my way home. Only those with the easy open though, the last time I had an old fashioned one I managed to cut myself quite nastily when washing it up.

I tend to think that at least I won't be among the people making things more difficult by mobbing the stores.

Japan was always likely to be on the list of coutries whose numbers I would take with an extra pinch of salt, and its certainly been that way so far.

But I'm talking about number of cases as much as deaths. I will wait and see how their numbers evolve.

My read of Japanese culture is that if told to stay home and self-isolate, they'll tend to comply. Americans would be using the enforced time off to go shopping or some shit, and feel entitled to do so.

Last edited:
My read of Japanese culture is that if told to stay home and self-isolate, they'll tend to comply. Americans would using the enforced time off to go shopping or some shit.
Mrs B teaches a Japanese family english (via skype) and has had an email from them this morning complaining about how shit it is, and that the kids are out playing 'cause there's nothing they can do to stop them.

What do you think the reason is for the government statements which seem to say they intend to not do anything much here for at least a month?

My feeling is they see it as swine flu 2 not SARS 2. They might come to their senses by which time it will be far too late.

Can anyone point me at a source of the historical (day by day) number of cases in Hubei (or China generally) since the beginning of the year? Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom