Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Coronavirus - worldwide breaking news, discussion, stats, updates and more

EU, UK and USA amongst those who opposed liberalising covid vaccine intellectual property right at the World Health Organisation

EU, UK and USA amongst those who opposed liberalising covid vaccine intellectual property right at the World Health Organisation

added to the absence of funding for the patrent free Finnish vaccine it is all business as usual :/

We analyze data from the Fall 2020 pandemic response efforts at the University of Colorado Boulder (USA), where more than 72,500 saliva samples were tested for SARS-CoV-2 using quantitative RT-PCR. We find that, at any given time, just 2% of individuals carry 90% of the virions circulating within communities, serving as viral “super-carriers” and possibly also super-spreaders.

It should be noted that all of the samples analyzed herein were collected before the B.1.1.7 (“U.K.”) SARS-CoV-2 variant, and subsequent major variants of concern, were first documented in the United States.
DOI: 10.1101/2021.03.01.21252250.

The Portuguese Health have quantified in figures the red lines for the control of the pandemic in Portugal.

Among the criteria that will determine whether the country can open or close is the incidence of Covid-19, which cannot exceed 60 cases per 100 thousand inhabitants. Portugal has 105 at this point.

If, after the start of the deflation plan, we reach 240 cases, we will be at the critical value that requires more restrictive measures again.

Another criterion is the value of R, an index that measures the evolution of contagion, which must also be below 1.

As for beds occupied in intensive care, they cannot reach 245, because at that time another value considered critical is also reached. At the moment, Portugal has 253 inpatients in UCI.

The percentage of positive tests cannot also exceed four and the screening of cases and contacts must be done within 24 hours and cover 90 percent of the reported cases.

In addition to all these red lines, the appearance and spread of the new variants is also one of the decisive factors in tightening control of the pandemic.

Sounds like Israel's vaccine passport might be flawed

The other (recommended) form, is a phone app which connects to a MOH site
and displays information about the current status of COVID19 infection in
the area, and when supplied with an ID, checks for Green Tag eligibility.
If the answer is positive, it displays only a GIF image of green people
walking—and nothing else.

Bouncers at the gates are supposed to let through only those who can present
the GIF. Unvaccinated people do not need to hire a hacker to create a copy,
the MOH had already done this for you:

https://govextra.gov.il/media/32575/green-label-he.mp4

View attachment green-label-he.mp4

Sounds like Israel's vaccine passport might be flawed
All vaccine passports are flawed. They (at best, assuming no one tries to game/cheat the system) only tell you who has received a vaccine but tell you nothing about the state of the holder's immune response and thus risk they pose to others (some vaccinated people will have no immune response).

All vaccine passports are flawed. They (at best, assuming no one tries to game/cheat the system) only tell you who has received a vaccine but tell you nothing about the state of the holder's immune response and thus risk they pose to others (some vaccinated people will have no immune response).

True, but a passport which is just security theater is a complete waste of money.
If it can be shown that people who've had the vaccine are significantly less likely to spread the virus, a vaccine passport might help. If everyone in a club had a vaccine that would allow nightclubs to open without increasing virus spread.

I suppose I should not be surprised that this phase features very few signs that anything we say is going to win the battle against people thinking about vaccination in binary terms. I appluad your continual efforts on this front, but much of what I've heard from people since December makes me quite defeatist about this.

It's bloody brexit again isn't it - like Eurovision Song Contest all over again nul points whenever they can give it :(

And very slightly relevant, if at all, to Oxford/AstraZeneca's actual efficacy as a vaccine.

My one-person expert opinion ;) is that I received that vaccine last Thursday, and as it turned out, with no side-effects whatsoever ... :)

Last edited:
The EU UK vaccination thing is still rumbling on. It’s entirely down to the EU fucking up. Taking all of the UK’s vaccine supply would do little to dent what is a massive task for the EU. A task the USA has taken on, now vaccinating an amazing 3 million people a day. This is the scale the EU needs to be looking to achieve.
I’m puzzled why they can’t? They surely have the ability to make vaccines in every country.

I can only assume that a lot of EU countries enjoy lockdowns and people dying needlessly. Talk about fiddling whilst Rome burns. Pontificating arses.

Its a messy subject because clearly there has been politics involved with the vaccination programme for months. But at the same time I fully support precautionary principals, and being seen to take adverse reactions seriously is actually part of a sensible system to balance public perceptions and actual risk.

eg:

“It’s very important to reassure people that there is no evidence of a cause and effect at this point,” he said.

“We have a safety signal and when we get those we have to act and proceed on the basis of a precautionary principle. So hopefully, as this week goes on, we’ll get more reassuring data from the EMA and we can recommence the programme.

“It may be nothing, we may be overreacting, and I sincerely hope that in a week’s time we are accused of being overcautious.”

Also this bit of BBC analysis:

These pauses for the AstraZeneca vaccine are not because it is unsafe to give. It's to allow time for experts to explore why a small number of people who were recently given the shot also developed blood clots.

When an illness occurs shortly after vaccination, it is right to question whether the shot might have contributed in any way.

From Covid-19: Netherlands suspends use of AstraZeneca vaccine

I agree, its the right thing to do.

Does that mean that the UK is doing the wrong thing in continuing with AZ doses?

I cant tell, I dont have the data or the right expert knowledge. I just know I'm not going to write off concerns as being entirely political, and that the approach is bound to vary a bit depending on the authority in question.

Back
Top Bottom