Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Coronavirus - worldwide breaking news, discussion, stats, updates and more

I mean, I guess you can still walk across the border? They haven't specifically said it's totally closed. Personally, I wouldn't come into China right now anyway. :(

The UK Government agrees with you :(

BERLIN (Reuters) - Three more people in southern Germany have contracted the coronavirus and they are employees at the same company where a man became the first person in Germany to become infected with the virus, the Bavarian health ministry said on Tuesday.

The 33-year-old man apparently contracted the virus on Jan. 21 during a training session with a Chinese colleague, the ministry said. The three additional patients were being monitored in isolation at a clinic in Munich.

“A total of around 40 employees at the company have been identified as potential close contacts (with their Chinese colleague). As a precaution, the people concerned are to be tested on Wednesday,” Bavaria’s Health Minister Melanie Huml said in a statement.

It's unlikely I'm going to keep posting the same quantity of links, tweets etc as I have in the last few days. I'm certainly not going to obsessively post the latest numbers from China every night. Anyway a fair chunk of my internet sources are shown by what I've already posted, if anyone was having trouble finding such things, there is no need for me to parrot all this stuff as this event continues.

I'll probably try to focus more on whatever happens (or is learnt) next that I think is actually significant rather than stuff that is 'more of the same'.

I have a question about masks. I have the 3M kind with the one way respirator, but I've been using it for a week, at times for very extended periods. I can't replace it. Will its efficiency be reducing?

I have a question about masks. I have the 3M kind with the one way respirator, but I've been using it for a week, at times for very extended periods. I can't replace it. Will its efficiency be reducing?
Is it meant as a dust mask? If so you can wear it for as long as its comfortable to breath. Eventually the filter will get clogged with dust and particulates. But until then, as long as the seals are intact it should be fine.

Is it meant as a dust mask? If so you can wear it for as long as its comfortable to breath. Eventually the filter will get clogged with dust and particulates. But until then, as long as the seals are intact it should be fine.

It's a PM 2.5 filtering mask. For pollution. It's not comfortable at all, but I'm happy to wear it. :D

My father in law believes strongly that the virus was planted in Wuhan by the Americans but that everything will be okay in a week or two because the government have said it will be. It seems to some extent that the government have turned the New Year break into an advantage because a lot of people have at least a couple of weeks break at this time of year anyway, schools and universities are usually off for a month, so getting everyone to stay at home isn't as hard as it might be at other times of year.

It's unlikely I'm going to keep posting the same quantity of links, tweets etc as I have in the last few days. I'm certainly not going to obsessively post the latest numbers from China every night. Anyway a fair chunk of my internet sources are shown by what I've already posted, if anyone was having trouble finding such things, there is no need for me to parrot all this stuff as this event continues.

I'll probably try to focus more on whatever happens (or is learnt) next that I think is actually significant rather than stuff that is 'more of the same'.

Appreciate all the effort, fwiw

My father in law believes strongly that the virus was planted in Wuhan by the Americans but that everything will be okay in a week or two because the government have said it will be. It seems to some extent that the government have turned the New Year break into an advantage because a lot of people have at least a couple of weeks break at this time of year anyway, schools and universities are usually off for a month, so getting everyone to stay at home isn't as hard as it might be at other times of year.

Apparently some online rumors claim that the virus was created by the Americans - but people in northern China should mostly be safe because most of the overseas Chinese people the US government used to develop the virus are from southern China.

Australian laboratory claims to have been able to grow the virus.

This, they claim to be a breakthrough as it means identification will be easier and quicker.

BA is cancelling all flights to mainland China with immediate effect. A few hours ago the Beijing and Shanghai to London flights took off, both carrying the crews which flew the aircraft in yesterday. Hong Kong flights are still operating as normal.
which makes us at work think it's more serious than the media are letting on...

Just got a screenshot of instructions from a large Chinese U.K. based outfit from someone - recent visitors to China have to stay away from work for 14 days, if a family member has travelled, then 7 days

which makes us at work think it's more serious than the media are letting on...

More likely just that the foreign office has advised against all but essential travel. This being all our travel insurance is suddenly invalid for trips to mainland China. Quite simply there isn't anybody to fly out there, or the number to justify to cost of the flights. Its exactly what I would expect a British airline to do under the circumstances.

ETA: Also the duty of care thing to their employees.

More likely just that the foreign office has advised against all but essential travel. This being all our travel insurance is suddenly invalid for trips to mainland China. Quite simply there isn't anybody to fly out there, or the number to justify to cost of the flights. Its exactly what I would expect a British airline to do under the circumstances.

It's cutting options for those of us still here though.

The Knock on from this will impact the whole regions transport if the SARS experience is anything to go by. Returns to Singapore were down to 250 quid at one point

It's a PM 2.5 filtering mask. For pollution. It's not comfortable at all, but I'm happy to wear it. :D
All masks will reduce in efficiency over time with usage.

A mask only rated for PM2.5 isn't going to effectively filter out this virus. PM2.5 particles, where it is most efficient, are (surprise) 2500 nanometres in size. This coronavirus is going to have dimensions of something like 100-150 nanometres. The mask you describe will probably filter some of the virions but with much reduced efficacy (varying with mask manufacturer). Much better if it is rated N99 or FFP3; then it will provide some degree of protection if fitted properly (tight seal around the mouth and nose with no leakage) - the vast majority of people will have masks that either don't fit properly, or they do not know how to fit them properly, or they readjust them for comfort whilst wearing them, leading to poor fitting.

Any mask (even a clogged one) will however reduce (see previous other discussion) your ability to touch your mouth and nose, so reducing the likelihood of virion ingress through those entry points (which just leaves your eyes, which clearly nothing other than a full face respirator helps protect).

In summary: wash hands regularly, thoroughly, don't touch them to the soft wet entry points (wear a mask if this helps achieve that), know where your food came from/who prepared it, and try to avoid other people.

Hundreds of foreign nationals have been evacuated from the Chinese city of Wuhan, the centre of the coronavirus outbreak, as more deaths and cases were confirmed.

Australia plans to quarantine its 600 returning citizens for two weeks on Christmas Island - some 2,000km (1,200 miles) from the mainland.

I bet the residents are well chuffed with that.

Just heard an interview with a Brit in Wuhan who's been told he'll be flown out, but will have to make his own way home from Gatwick and then stay indoors for two weeks of self quarantine .

Really have to question the sense of this, if true...

Back
Top Bottom