Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Coronavirus: music festivals, big gigs, sports events and big gatherings - going ahead and cancelled

It's not like the arts created much wealth for Britain anyway. Oh wait....

A survey of 2,000 members of the Musicians’ Union found that 34% “are considering abandoning the industry completely”, because of the financial difficulties they face during the pandemic, as performance opportunities are severely curtailed.

Almost half have already found work outside their industry, and 70% are unable to do more than a quarter of their usual work. Eighty-seven per cent of musicians covered by furlough and self-employment support schemes say they will face financial hardship when the schemes are due to end in October.

“Musicians are working in supermarkets, being Deliveroo drivers, going back to things they trained for early in life,” Horace Trubridge, the union’s general secretary, told the Guardian. “Anything but music – that’s the problem.

“We’re going into an autumn and winter with months of no work, and no financial support from the government at all apart from universal credit – which is appalling for an industry that’s worth £5.2bn.”

If the made up schedule of six months is dragged out then we will have three months or Brexit fallout along with a half arsed lockdown.

Pubs are also having to lay off loads of staff now because of the 10pm rule...
The 10pm rule is hurting but there is more impact on pubs in regional lockdown areas.
Great to pay staff two thirds of their salary but if your business is closed then you are paying a third for nothing.

The 10pm rule is hurting but there is more impact on pubs in regional lockdown areas.
Great to pay staff two thirds of their salary but if your business is closed then you are paying a third for nothing.
In Wales they've made it so that they stop serving at 10pm - so if a restaurant/gastropub is trying to get two sittings in one night, it means that they wont have to throw the 9pm eaters into the street before they've finished. That seems more sensible.

I'm not sure how it's any different. One pub near me has just had to lay off 50% of their staff. No furlough, no staff payments, nowt.

Interesting. But a bit odd.

On Tuesday (22 September), a new wave of pandemic restrictions was announced in the UK, including the introduction of a 10pm (GMT) curfew. Now, it’s been announced that music venues have permission to stay open past the curfew.

A government Department for Digital, Culture, Media & Sport spokesperson told NME that “dedicated music venues may conclude after the 10pm curfew as long as a performance starts before 10pm, however outlets, including bars, must be closed by this point.”

Music Venue Trust has also confirmed the news. A statement reads: “We are pleased to confirm that the majority of English Grassroots Music Venues are included in the performance spaces that are able to permit artists to conclude their performances post the 10pm curfew announced by HM Government on 22 September 2020.”

The organisation also encouraged gig-goers to adhere to government guidelines on safety. “Please respect all the measures introduced by your local Grassroots Music Venue to ensure that your gigging experience is taking place in a Covid Secure Venue.”

There's gigs going on in Preston - all local bands cause there's... limited funds for artist fees, but they're happening.

A local drum & bass crew are doing 'table raves' too, which I'm a little wary of...

There's gigs going on in Preston - all local bands cause there's... limited funds for artist fees, but they're happening.

A local drum & bass crew are doing 'table raves' too, which I'm a little wary of...
What's a table rave?

Yeah, the nights I organise these days (or did organise anyway...) are explicitly sit down affairs with slooooow music. I could probably put one on right now under the new restrictions and it'd be more or less the same as they usually are.

Here's how Brixton looked at around 10.30-11pm last night. I suspect this 10pm close is going to finish off some venues.

Brixton early closing: Friday night at 11pm - in photos

Back
Top Bottom