Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Coronavirus: music festivals, big gigs, sports events and big gatherings - going ahead and cancelled

Next in line for wtf crazy idea is this:

I saw somewhere that some US cinemas are offering full screen bookings for $150 + $150 food purchases with up to 30 people, and you choose what film you want to watch, which seems like a better idea than the above.

Next in line for wtf crazy idea is this:

I saw somewhere that some US cinemas are offering full screen bookings for $150 + $150 food purchases with up to 30 people, and you choose what film you want to watch, which seems like a better idea than the above.
We've had had a floating cinema (though not the audience) for quite some time.

And the hiring a screen in a cinema thing.

Someone posted this pic up on a Facebook tech group the other day and immediately caused a big row between various health and safety types who were arguing wether or not the platforms were safe without a barrier at the back... looks like someone had go buy some scaff :D

36PZW.jpg

I know what you mean but nothing to stop you throwing the chairs off and using the platform as a dancefloor. Could maybe see a 500 individual dancefloor rave being fun.

tbh I'm at the age now where I quite like a bit of space. Being packed shoulder to shoulder in a big crowd no longer holds the appeal it used to. Then again I can't imagine the atmosphere would be anything other than a bit shit at these gigs. Is what it is though, I guess.

I went. I knew everyone at it. It was kind of nice to see so many people I knew for the first time in a long time. But fairly shit to know why we were all there.
i went, personally i thought i was a fantastic turn out but ultimately a fucking embarrassment, protests aren't ment to make the local area look pretty for a couple of hours after everyone has gone home, they're meant to cause disruption and get noticed. Manchester did everyone proud with their box push through the centre of town earlier in the day though.

i went, personally i thought i was a fantastic turn out but ultimately a fucking embarrassment, protests aren't ment to make the local area look pretty for a couple of hours after everyone has gone home, they're meant to cause disruption and get noticed. Manchester did everyone proud with their box push through the centre of town earlier in the day though.
Yep. Ours was exceedingly well behaved and well lit. Which, I suppose is right for stage crew. :facepalm:
It was pretty and FB is full of arty shots of it. As you say. Not the point.

The Portuguese Communist Party's 3 day Avante Festival is taking place September , they expect 30k . Heres a video explaining the measures they are taking :

The wonderful Sound Lounge in Morden was one of only 16 live music venues that opened last night.

The wonderful Sound Lounge in Morden was one of only 16 live music venues that opened last night.

Just 38 people in there. It's great that the band played (no doubt for free) but it's not viable for venues, crew or musicians right now.

The whole venue perfectly laid out with hand sanitizer everywhere. Everything marked out, and tables spaced out perfectly. There were 13 different tables with around 38 customers in the room which is about about a quarter of their capacity of 250.

Hi, bit of advice please. Is it legal to hire a huge house and have 30 people for a socially distanced party? Venue sleeps 77 so I'd be keeping the place with lots of extra space for safety. Part of me really wants to do this but I don't want to get into trouble or put people at risk.

It is well ventilated, lots of space, lots of outdoors. Etc etc. Dancefloor would be masked only. Not sure what the rules are these days. Anyone got thoughts? Venue owner is up for it.

Hi, bit of advice please. Is it legal to hire a huge house and have 30 people for a socially distanced party? Venue sleeps 77 so I'd be keeping the place with lots of extra space for safety. Part of me really wants to do this but I don't want to get into trouble or put people at risk.

It is well ventilated, lots of space, lots of outdoors. Etc etc. Dancefloor would be masked only. Not sure what the rules are these days. Anyone got thoughts? Venue owner is up for it.

The official guidance is that you shouldn't do it: Coronavirus outbreak FAQs: what you can and can't do

This being said it does go on to say gatherings over 30 people are specifically banned which would imply the previous stuff is guidance rather than specific law. Its almost certainly against the law if you're planning to do it in an area which has local restrictions and the guidance will likely still differ country to country.

My take is its not advisable but not specifically banned. I think you'd really want to make sure you knew the attendees and that they were people you trust. If the party was to get a bit out of hand and / or responsible for a small outbreak you'd attract the attention of local press pretty quickly.

Yha are renting their places out on a similar basis. Meant to be for a max of three households, but I don’t really see anyone enforcing that.

Just don’t.

Just 38 people in there. It's great that the band played (no doubt for free) but it's not viable for venues, crew or musicians right now.
The Cavendish arms is applying for funding to do tiny attendance streamed gigs as they have invested in equipment to stream their comedy nights and have done so without audience for a while now.
It is not going to be the same though.
Matt Snowball have gone under apparently. Friend posted this on FB.

Used them a few times, good guys.

View attachment 227041
have they definitely closed or have they just decided to move their storage to a cheaper place until things get better?

The Cavendish arms is applying for funding to do tiny attendance streamed gigs as they have invested in equipment to stream their comedy nights and have done so without audience for a while now.
It is not going to be the same though.

have they definitely closed or have they just decided to move their storage to a cheaper place until things get better?

My friend says they've gone under, he's a backline tech and there doesn't seem to be anyone disagreeing with him on the post. Its been up for most of the day now so I would have expected a correction if he was wrong.

Fair enough, just trying to keep my hopes up for the industry (re matt snowball).
I spent most of June and July dismantling DIY Space for london as the landlord decided not to renew our lease because of the virus. He actually did us a favour as if we were still paying rent with no income the government grant would be pretty much gone by now coming straight on the heels of a tense financial period. Now we can regroup and wait for things to improve to start afresh.

Fair enough, just trying to keep my hopes up for the industry (re matt snowball).
I spent most of June and July dismantling DIY Space for london as the landlord decided not to renew our lease because of the virus. He actually did us a favour as if we were still paying rent with no income the government grant would be pretty much gone by now coming straight on the heels of a tense financial period. Now we can regroup and wait for things to improve to start afresh.

Their website is still up so its always a possibility.

I'll keep an eye and if he's wrong I'll be sure to post here.

Back
Top Bottom