Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Coronavirus in the UK - news, lockdown and discussion

Ok, so my areas were pretty bad (as posted above). For a laugh, and because he lives near me, and because who doesn't like to click, I clicked on existentialist 's area.

2,400/100,000.

Welcome back existentialist . Keep your doors and windows shut and enjoy your wine.

That's the highest I've seen.
FUCK! :eek: Right, that's it - doors locked, hide the car up the road, and keep all the lights off once I'm back...

This is going to look like a stupid question but what's the main reason for the widely different rates in different bits of the uk? Is it likely there was some 'superspreader' event or person where existentialist lives or what?

This is going to look like a stupid question but what's the main reason for the widely different rates in different bits of the uk? Is it likely there was some 'superspreader' event or person where existentialist lives or what?

I don't know, I doubt anyone knows. Certainly not any event I've heard about, events have been pretty much shut down for ages.

It's a small population but with a high amount of cases. The small population can't cover it though. There are similar areas in the county population-wise which do not have that amount of cases.

I blame Dylan Thomas.

Edit, they may sound facile but it does account for some movement. He's a tourist attraction. (Thomas, not existentialist).

Yep. That unevenness has got to be to do with specific local events though, right? Events not necessarily as in parties but as in maybe 1 person who has a lot of friends and poor hygeine or something? It can't be that people in that bit of wales just caught the virus more easily last week than they did anywhere else.

Yep. That unevenness has got to be to do with specific local events though, right? Events not necessarily as in parties but as in maybe 1 person who has a lot of friends and poor hygeine or something? It can't be that people in that bit of wales just caught the virus more easily last week than they did anywhere else.

Not being a scientist, I haven't a sniff. But I know this. The virus works on interaction and people movement. Existentialist's area have shown a threefold increase last week compared to the rolling average over the previous month.

My area has gone the other way. We were really bad. Then we've got a threefold decrease. And I think that's because news of it swept through town, people became aware and changed their behaviour accordingly. Deserted streets etc, even before lockdown. People were scared and stayed at home. Because people were dying and suddenly we knew this for real.

I think it may be the new variant and it's increased transmission. Hit my town 2-3 weeks ago, now it's on existentialist's town. And maybe when they adjust like we did, numbers will fall.

But the numbers here are anything from 8-14 times worse (24 x in existentialist's town) than they were when we had local lockdowns in September.

You'll have to run that one past me...once the French national truckers can return home, and obviously decide not to return...how are we going to import/export?

I understood it to mean truckers can come and go subject to testing? Maybe I've got it wrong. We need some sort of group of people to explain it better. Some sort of government maybe. I don't know where we'd get one of those.

Those sorts of questions are somewhat related to a point about local data I've been meaning to make a gain recently. I'm going to try to be brief for once.

There is nothing wrong with looking at very local data, but people should not rely on that stuff alone when forming a personal sense of risk. There are several reasons for this, including:

Its usually an out of date picture by the time we see the data. Bad things happen when the government only react to historical pictures without extrapolating forwards in time and imagining how the picture has evolved since, they end up perpetually on the backfoot. Better to err on the side of imagining a worse picture than that shown by recent data.

Its not a pure picture of infections, it also says much about the testing system, access to testing, will to engage with the test system. For example where I live the test centre was temporary, it travelled around to other places and so local testing was only available on certain weeks. A more permanent solution is finally in place I believe, but only very recently did this happen. And certain sorts of outbreaks are more likely to be noticed and to lead to more cases that form part of that cluster being detected. Current test systems should be able to see well beyond the tip of the iceberg, but some big chunk of the iceberg is still not on this radar.

Ok, so my areas were pretty bad (as posted above). For a laugh, and because he lives near me, and because who doesn't like to click, I clicked on existentialist 's area.

2,400/100,000.

Welcome back existentialist . Keep your doors and windows shut and enjoy your wine.

That's the highest I've seen.
If I'm reading this right, it really doesn't look good for the Newport/Gwent area:
1608657011855.png

I have a horrible feeling that the usual Xmas day news fodder of (tragic) house fires will be eclipsed this year by tales of patients dying in ambulances as they wait outside swamped 'red' hospitals and morgues over-filling. :(

Dark, I know...but i fear this will be the reality of living on Johnson's plague island.:mad:

I think if we’d all stayed at home for 6 months or so solid we wouldn’t be in this mess now, and any negative social impacts would be vastly outweighed by thousands of people not being dead.
I don't think it would have been as simple as that. Many people have far from ideal home situations, and many people are only surviving by visiting food banks. And then there's the mental health aspect which really can't be understated. And, of course, if there were no essential workers getting out, you'd be left with no power, utilities, services or food.

I posted these two screengrabs last week, to illustrate the spread in the SE corner, which is frankly staggering - the the sample dates were [top] 8th & 11th Dec.

2.png

Now compare those with the latest map, sample date 17/12/20 - no green areas left, and only three borough/district council areas in West Sussex that are 'light blue', the spread of 'purple' areas, and the new 'dark purple' being introduced, freaks me right out. :(

2aa.png

I agree with this. But just shutting schools for a long period with only remote learning for the vulnerable and the young ones is not a solution. I'm not saying open the schools and all else be damned. But I teach some of the most vulnerable and deprived students in the country and they cannot access remote learning and are struggling in so many different areas.
Because of the wider shitshow round the government's management of the pandemic, we are close to the point where these things will cease to be a matter of choice. If things get as bad as it looks, we'll simply have to close all the places where transmission is likely.

Back
Top Bottom