Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Coronavirus in the UK - news, lockdown and discussion

Another negotiation triumph for Johnson.
From yesterday's the border will be open in the next few hours to this:
It struck me immediately when he said " a few hours" that he was stupidly over promising. I don't know why he does it, it is a simple enough concept to grasp, always better to under promise and over deliver .. than the other way around. In business it is called "managing expectations" .. applies to politics the same.

Why Sept 1st, and why 2 months?
Because the 1st is when the new school year starts. We’d had a gradual unlock and got the rate down. People had been given a bit of a breather over summer, a chance to get outside/away etc. So, once we’d had that breather we should have locked down again to keep it that way. As for 2 months, that would have got us to November and a chance to then look to December and an opportunity to see if a Xmas relaxation was doable, with enough notice for everyone if it wasn’t.

Test & trace is not thought to be very practical or effective during periods of high incidence of infection.

Its the sort of thing you need to get right in between waves, and then when the data obtained from such systems starts moving in a bad direction authorities have to be prepared to act strongly and early to implement other measures to reduce spread.

Yep... even South Korea, which probably used it best in the early pandemic, is currently seeing an essentially uncontrolled rise in cases. Hopefully they sort their shit out and bring in some more comprehensive population level measures, I’m not up to date at the moment... but yeah, it does illustrate the limits in such a heavily urbanised society.

Last week there were 1,318 cases per 100k population in Merthyr Tydfil.

Just what the fuck is going on there?

Things are out of control, action wasn't taken quickly enough in a desperate attempt to keep the schools open. In my area a headmistress was threatened with disciplinary action for closing her school - 24 hours before the person who threatened them closed all the schools.

Carmarthenshire
Find out more about the restrictions in your area

cases per 100,000 people in the latest week 11 Dec-17 Dec. The average area in Wales had 644.
cases in the latest week 11 Dec-17 Dec
+457
compared with the previous week
total cases to 21 Dec
coronavirus-related deaths registered to 4 Dec
How the case rate has changed in your area
  • Daily cases per 100,000 people
  • Seven-day average

Data for the most recent days may be revised upwards as new test results are received

That's my area. We are as rural as rural can be. During lockdown 1 we were affected very little. Now we're up to almost 800/100,000.

Test & trace is not thought to be very practical or effective during periods of high incidence of infection.

Its the sort of thing you need to get right in between waves, and then when the data obtained from such systems starts moving in a bad direction authorities have to be prepared to act strongly and early to implement other measures to reduce spread.

I suppose my point was, but not clearly expressed, why did TTI not pick up the changes sooner (because like many other things this shambles of a govt has attempted it is woeful), and surely at the end of this peak we still need a system that is far better than anything to date - I get we do not need it now when the virus horse has bolted...

Because the 1st is when the new school year starts. We’d had a gradual unlock and got the rate down. People had been given a bit of a breather over summer, a chance to get outside/away etc. So, once we’d had that breather we should have locked down again to keep it that way. As for 2 months, that would have got us to November and a chance to then look to December and an opportunity to see if a Xmas relaxation was doable, with enough notice for everyone if it wasn’t.

What do you think the impact of that would've been on children and young people and their parents working from home?

What those graphs tell me is that we should have gone into a full, total, hard as fuck lockdown for a couple of months on September 1st.
Which would, roughly, be the date schools and FE colleges went back and about 3 weeks short of the date when students were told to move into start partying in halls. World Beating etc.

Primary Schools should have, and should continue to, open to all who want to use them.

Ditto Years 7 and 8.

Years 9 to 13 should primarily be online,vwirh a very limited and strictly controlled program of face to face intervention.

University should be remote or postponed a year.

All non-essential (or not providing a social benefit) work should be stopped with a UBI brought in.

All debt should be frozen (or cancelled). No rent due. No mortgage payments due. Eviction to be prohibited.

Johnson et al. offered a choice between The New Hague (in Grytviken) or a glass of whiskey - cheap blended piss only) and a bullet

Primary Schools should have, and should continue to, open to all who want to use them.

Ditto Years 7 and 8.

Years 9 to 13 should primarily be online,vwirh a very limited and strictly controlled program of face to face intervention.

University should be remote or postponed a year.

All non-essential (or not providing a social benefit) work should be stopped with a UBI brought in.

All debt should be frozen (or cancelled). No rent due. No mortgage payments due. Eviction to be prohibited.

Johnson et al. offered a choice between The New Hague (in Grytviken) or a glass of whiskey - cheap blended piss only) and a bullet
This. And all bloody exams cancelled.

I think it would have been better than more people needlessly dying, and better than this endless cycle of confusing tiers and last minute changes.
Even the top brains of the country, Indie Sage, don't want schools closed. The impact for many children is too dire. You would be piling even more misery on the poor and vulnerable who have already lost the most in this time of covid.

It's all coulda, woulda, shoulda, but I think the real mistake was not getting the level low enough at the end of the first lockdown.
If the rate had been dropped to the point where test and trace could work then coupled with strict migration controls having schools, and even unis, would pose a limited risk

I do think we’ve got to the point now where everything, including schools & nurseries, need to close for a hard lockdown for a couple of weeks or a month.
And then probably a blended learning system at least for secondary schools to allow for social distancing measures.

I do think we’ve got to the point now where everything, including schools & nurseries, need to close for a hard lockdown for a couple of weeks or a month.
And then probably a blended learning system at least for secondary schools to allow for social distancing measures.
I really hope that is what does happen but I'm not sure I trust either the government or heads/VCs/bosses to do the sensible thing

It struck me immediately when he said " a few hours" that he was stupidly over promising. I don't know why he does it, it is a simple enough concept to grasp, always better to under promise and over deliver .. than the other way around. In business it is called "managing expectations" .. applies to politics the same.
This is Johnson's defining feature though, always overpromise, every time at every opportunity. Some of it will be baseless optimism to do with the congenital over-confidence of that sort of man but I think mostly its just down to the overwhelming desire to say whatever it is that people want to hear at any given moment.

I don't think a couple of weeks is going to dent it. I think with the current level of cases we have, around the country, and the new variant, a national lockdown for two months is needed. That way the numbers of cases when we emerge should be a lot lower than at present and it might buy us some time before the next time.

I don't know if Johnson has the guts to implement such a measure.

This is Johnson's defining feature though, always overpromise, every time at every opportunity. Some of it will be baseless optimism to do with the congenital over-confidence of that sort of man but I think mostly its just down to the overwhelming desire to say whatever it is that people want to hear at any given moment.
I agree, someone should have a word with him!

So, see you all here this time again next year.
Not really. We might need a month of hard lockdown now but if everything else was tightened, schools could stay open with lots of the measures Indie Sage have suggested including using test and trace to stay on top of outbreaks.
It's simply not good enough to say that millions of children should suffer more social deprivation. There are ways to.mitigate risk and have far fewer cases plus open schools.

Not really. We might need a month of hard lockdown now but if everything else was tightened, schools could stay open with lots of the measures Indie Sage have suggested including using test and trace to stay on top of outbreaks.
It's simply not good enough to say that millions of children should suffer more social deprivation. There are ways to.mitigate risk and have far fewer cases plus open schools.
Quite clearly Tier 3 measures keep the virus fairly stable with schools open. Or they did do, with the 'classic' version of Covid. But if NERVTAG etc are right about the levels of transmissability of this new virus it will surely be impossible to keep schools fully open. Maybe some kind of part time, blended learning. It all depends on this new variant.

Yes, we do need to get cases down to a level where you can effectively test & trace and we definitely need a better plan for reducing transmission in schools that just "remove the sand pit and crack open a window", but schools should be a priority.
It's just clear you can't have pubs, restaurants, holidays, swimming pools, gyms, cinemas, offices AND schools open.

Silver lining - might this see a big pay rise for truckers, who can very easily make a collective demand for it given the extra ballache (brexit related) and risk (covid) of bringing goods into the UK?

Even the top brains of the country, Indie Sage, don't want schools closed. The impact for many children is too dire. You would be piling even more misery on the poor and vulnerable who have already lost the most in this time of covid.

The official SAGE advice was for other restrictions to be brought in well before schools reopened, in order to create room in the infection picture, minimising community infection levels so that schools stood a better chance of operating during the pandemic.

If school openings are a priority then other stuff has to be done to compensate. The government tried to do it without that and its blown up in their face.

Back
Top Bottom