Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Coronavirus in the UK - news, lockdown and discussion

I live in London and have just driven past two big superstores. Both have large car parks and both car parks were basically full. They even had staff out to help with the parking. Neither store had any queue outside (remember when that was a thing?) so I can only guess the virus is doing a roaring trade.
You can't blame government for every specific thing like this, but their lack of direction and clarity creates a vacuum where mad stuff can happen at the very point where we are at a crisis point. Crazy.

I think it would have been utter shite for them. But probably somewhat less shite than it is for those whose parents or other family members are now dead.

I think you're overestimating many families capacity to cope and the capacity of services to work remotely to support them especially in the absence of their extended family and friends, often while these workers are trying and failing to look after their own children.

I can't see them fucking up Christmas Day anymore, at this late stage.

I expect that whatever they decide, at the very least messages designed to put more people off Christmas mixing will be part of any final pre-Christmas press conferences. They may go further than that too.

Especially if the nudge unit has been upgraded to the shove unit.

You seem to be suggesting that other people who think differently to you think its all just fine that lots of people ate dying, as though there couldn't possibly be alternatives to how things are and your solution.
No, I'm saying what we have now is a steaming pile of shit that could have been avoided. Keeping the schools open at all costs was, and still is, a mistake.

Impossible for me to be sure how much of a mistake it was because the 'at all costs' bit was never stuck to, there were all manner of costs and compromises that the government were uninterested in getting behind.

What happened with the schools in that regard is similar to what happened with other plans developed over the summer such as telling the NHS that it should prioritise the resumption of normal services and plan for winter on the basis of keeping those things going. Those were important priorities that shouldnt get lost in the pandemic, but the government were disinterested in creating a situation where that balancing act was viable, and instead just ended up encouraging institutions to come up with plans that were unrealistic and likely unsustainable.

This is going to look like a stupid question but what's the main reason for the widely different rates in different bits of the uk? Is it likely there was some 'superspreader' event or person where existentialist lives or what?
engurlish incomers and tourists! ;)

Just read something, the headline only TBH, in Nature. That a wide ranging study of 41 countries suggests the 3 things that can stop the spread most are.
1. Stop gatherings over 10 people
2. Close schools.
3. Close universities.

General stay at home added to those measures did not do much to slow spread.

I read the headline in Nature but that's the paper.

Just read something, the headline only TBH, in Nature. That a wide ranging study of 41 countries suggests the 3 things that can stop the spread most are.
1. Stop gatherings over 10 people
2. Close schools.
3. Close universities.

General stay at home added to those measures did not do much to slow spread.

I read the headline in Nature but that's the paper.

The paper authors freely acknowledge all sorts of uncertainties and difficulties in truly separating the effects of different measures. And they only analysed a period in the initial lockdown months, so freely admit they dont have interesting observations and insight from later periods when some measures were relaxed. Its still a useful study though. Closing face-to-face businesses is very much on their list of measures that do stuff, although they think much of that result could be obtained by closing certain categories of business that carry the highest risk (hospitality for example).

The paper includes a couple of nice charts that demonstrates how its combinations of measures that can bring the R down by a sufficient amount. Here is one of them:

Screenshot 2020-12-22 at 19.13.38.png

BBC TV News just reporting there's a meeting currently going on with Whitehall officials & government ministers. discussing the current tier areas, and we should expect a further announcement tomorrow.

FFS, lets hope it's tier 4 everywhere from Boxing Day.

It also makes me nervous when the daily hospital data doesnt get published. As of the time of writing thats the case today, the usual daily file from Statistics » COVID-19 Hospital Activity isnt there.

When this sort of thing happens I never know if its because of a data systems issue or human resources issue or whether they will not be publishing this data so much over Christmas or whether they are sitting on it today because it shows something especially bad that they want to formulate a response to before revealing.

It could yet come out today for all I know, but I have my doubts.

Because of the wider shitshow round the government's management of the pandemic, we are close to the point where these things will cease to be a matter of choice. If things get as bad as it looks, we'll simply have to close all the places where transmission is likely.
But I already said they'd need to shut for a period to get the infections down. Please do read all of my posts properly.

Someone i know who lives in the valleys told me that generally the populace of the area in his words 'did not give a fuck and were carrying on as always' ie pre Covid - no idea whether this is true but Covid fatigue has certainly set in... People are visiting Hereford FFS to go to the pubs
Herefordshire pubs and restaurants demand address proof after hundreds turned away

A story in three parts, part 2:

Police slam visitors to Herefordshire as hundreds turned away from pubs

and part 3

Herefordshire records another surge in coronavirus cases

Wuhan went into lockdown in January.

It started steadily returning to normal in April.

The schools went back in September, one of the last things to do so.

Wuhan is now dancing in the streets, literally.

The argument is how long. I don't think 2 weeks does much at all in a pandemic. Look at Wales.

Back
Top Bottom