Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Coronavirus in the UK - news, lockdown and discussion

Calderwood said: “The evidence we have is that we might expect up to 80% of the population to have coronavirus at some point, although we will obviously have people recovered and people who have antibodies and would be completely well.

“The peak we’re talking about we might expect to be over a three-week period, with a delay [until it peaks] of two to three months.”

She said the same rates of infection would apply across the UK if the epidemic took hold but said this was a hypothetical scenario, adding: “This might not happen.”

I dont know if the 2-3 months thing is based not just on current models, but also what happened with swine flu in 2009 (first imported cases detected near end of April, first local transmission confirmed 1st May, first pandemic wave in July). Either way, this is not a timescale I am banking on.

And then on to the bullshit:

She said the current strategy appeared to be working: “At the moment, there is good evidence that we have contained the virus.” The NHS was well equipped and “we have time to plan.”

Well we have reached the milestone of a special program from the state broadcaster:

BBC One is broadcasting a special programme this evening in which a panel of experts and BBC reporters from around the world answer questions on the coronavirus outbreak.

If you want to know the latest health advice, what you should do if you are planning a trip abroad, or what impact the outbreak could have on businesses, join us here from 19:30 GMT as we cover the main points from the programme.

From their live updates page at https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/world-asia-51701043

I suppose I will watch it so that I can make a noise about anything I perceive as misleading.

This is Milton Keynes this morning.

View attachment 200312

<insert joke here>

he may have a compromised immune syatem, but as always it will be the worried well who empty the shelves, etc

my freind, a former Inf Diseases Nurse, 80, has lung disease, etc, is taking it very seriously, she loves life and wants to carry on, and is now going to self isolate, from family, etc, till a vaccine is available, she would be a gonner if its does become pandemic though.

Anyone else getting a bit pissed off with all the don't panic; it's only those with underlying health issues that are vulnerable...shite?

What normal folk don't have some sort of underlying health issue, FFS. :mad:
Yeah. It's fine if you or everyone you love is 100% fighting fit. Mr W has no lower intestine and is recovering from surgery/lost loads of weight etc, coronavirus could easily finish him off. My dad has COPD. One of my kids is asthmatic. It's all FINE though.

Some cunt presenter on LBC yesterday - a former libdem candidate - was saying we should forgo 500,000 lives rather than have behaviour change that may affect the economy.

Yeah. It's fine if you or everyone you love is 100% fighting fit. Mr W has no lower intestine and is recovering from surgery/lost loads of weight etc, coronavirus could easily finish him off. My dad has COPD. One of my kids is asthmatic. It's all FINE though.
Exactly.
It's so fucking BBC to keep rolling out the nothing to be concerned about...unless... line.

The BBC have made a right mess of this:

The world is in "uncharted territory" on the coronavirus outbreak, the World Health Organization (WHO) has said.

Doctors had "never before seen a respiratory pathogen capable of community transmission", its chief, Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus, said.

:facepalm:

I will be back shortly with the bit they missed out, causing all sensible meaning to be lost.

As it happens I still somewhat disagree with what the WHO said, but at least with the missing but... it isnt quite as nonsensical as the BBC version.

Some cunt presenter on LBC yesterday - a former libdem candidate - was saying we should forgo 500,000 lives rather than have behaviour change that may affect the economy.

I fear this close to exactly the arithmetic those in charge of the UK (and indeed every country)’s response are doing. Full-on utilitarianism. How are they weighting the factors though? Lives vs prosperity.

I fear this close to exactly the arithmetic those in charge of the UK (and indeed every country)’s response are doing. Full-on utilitarianism. How are they weighting the factors though? Lives vs prosperity.
I suspect it is slightly off the greatest happiness for the greatest number.

anyway, thnking back to UKG responses to this and the ole cole war scenarios ( square leg and its like for nuke stuff), government options included a free to flee plan ( just fuck off and lets see what happens afterwards) which was very cost effective i.e. no cost vs the containment plan. where townies were forced to stay in their urban hell holes and lets see who survives outcome. which one of these will be dusted off?

Back
Top Bottom