Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Coronavirus in the UK - news, lockdown and discussion

:facepalm:I really don't get panic buying this time round - first time there was a shade of 'but what if they have to shut down everything and we have to live off government deliveries of spam and condensed milk' but now we know that shops will stay open and that the only shortages were caused by people over buying shit.

AND THERE WAS NEVER A SUGGESTION THAT WE'D RUN OUT OF LOO PAPER, THAT WAS SUPPOSED TO HAPPEN AT BREXIT!!!! :facepalm::mad::facepalm:

Not even then, well not in the UK, but could be a problem for Ireland.

It noted that the UK was a net exporter of toilet paper. In 2019, the nation exported $129 million (£101m) of loo roll placing the UK as the 11th largest exporter of the product. For the UK, Ireland dominates exports of toilet paper accounting for 70 per cent of our exports.

:facepalm:I really don't get panic buying this time round - first time there was a shade of 'but what if they have to shut down everything and we have to live off government deliveries of spam and condensed milk' but now we know that shops will stay open and that the only shortages were caused by people over buying shit.

Perhaps Homo Economicus is not a rational actor after all :hmm:

I suspect there will be a big announcement come Monday.

Professor Neil Ferguson said the country was facing a “perfect storm” following the easing of controls over the summer.

“Right now we are at about the levels of infection we were seeing in this country in late February,” he told the BBC Radio 4 Today programme.

“If we leave it another two to four weeks we will be back at levels we were seeing more like mid-March. That’s clearly going to cause deaths because people will be hospitalised.

“I think some additional measures are likely to be needed sooner rather than later.”

Any urbanites had it yet?

Not myself, but I know more people (friends and friends of friends) having symptoms and sometimes getting testing, and I'm seeing more people at work with symptoms (some with positive tests) than have for months. Does feel like we're on the brink of it all again. And I know there's loads of competing factors and pressures with bringing in restrictions and lockdown measures, but it's hard not to feel like screaming "FFS, lock it all down NOW!"

Last edited:
I would not be advocating stockpiling. It has a knock on effect (as we saw before) but our Disgraced Government are doing exactly this pre-brexit which does send a pretty clear message.

My planned stockpiling is just to have some basics in stock. My kitchen is tiny so my 'stockpile' is probably on par with a lot of other people's usual inventory anyway.

During early lockdown I did a lot of shopping/baking for vulnerable/older neighbours. If we see a repeat of the last shit then it will be helpful to be able to share this with people locally.

Definitely not stockpiling but I have bought some extra pasta and a couple of other bits. We were stuck this week as I got symptoms and struggled to get a test. Local friends were also isolating so we had to get Deliveroo for milk and bread (and chocolate biscuits).

Definitely not stockpiling but I have bought some extra pasta and a couple of other bits. We were stuck this week as I got symptoms and struggled to get a test. Local friends were also isolating so we had to get Deliveroo for milk and bread (and chocolate biscuits).
Are you ok?

I wonder if Boris and co will just try to go for a Sweden approach now and go 'Welllll, it worked OKish there' (obviously jury is out on that)

I wonder if Boris and co will just try to go for a Sweden approach now and go 'Welllll, it worked OKish there' (obviously jury is out on that)

No, they're already making noises about national restrictions. I think if we'd dealt with the first wave OK then it might be more of temptation, but not now. Although I think there are people (Tory MPs) that would like too I'm sure.

I don't think that the recent "Rule of Six" and local / regional lockdowns are going to be sufficient to control the infection rates, if schools, workplaces and pubs are all still open as well.

Much as he might not want to (because of the hit to the economy tory donating business owners) BJ is going to be forced into something that looks very much like a repeat of Lockdown.

[posted too early]

That decision needs to be implemented very soon, otherwise we're going to see massive numbers of cases and lots more deaths.

My household is now going back into nearly as strict a lockdown as back in March. Only going out for shopping, or medical reasons ...

Back
Top Bottom