Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Coronavirus in the UK - news, lockdown and discussion

Not good. All credit to her daily briefings.

EhnMltmXYAAT9no

Not good. All credit to her daily briefings.

EhnMltmXYAAT9no
It's fucking scandalous. It wasn't just the Tories, apparently Jackie Baillie who is a Labour MSP also made representations to the BBC about it. The opposition hate it that Nicola Sturgeon in their eyes 'gets a free platform'. But this is a fucking pandemic, the numbers are going up again, and how do the elderly, who are most at risk from the virus, get their up to date information now? :mad: or the deaf? (the daily briefings have a live sign interpreter). The BBC, refusing to show critical public health information.

Tory MP on Radio 4 this morning complaining about the new restrictions and saying we need to live like 'free people' and that there's growing anger on the back benches about the rules. He seemed to be ignoring the facts of the pandemic, but that didn't stop him having a good chunk of time mouthing off about things.

If you not familiar with Goveller's travels by Govern Ready Michael, today might be a good day to take up the story...our 'hero' makes it onto the good ship RMS Brexcusitania, that was returning from a team-building expedition in Belarus....

Ffs can't they work for him from home and do everyone a good turn?
What part of 'this is an air borne respiratory virus, that just loves indoor spaces,' is he not getting?
What I find most objectionable about it is the sense of superiority. I'm sure many religious people get massive support from their church as a social network that is important to their wellbeing. I know they do. But that doesn't mean their social networks are more important than those of non-religious people.

Ultimately he's playing a power card here.

It's fucking scandalous. It wasn't just the Tories, apparently Jackie Baillie who is a Labour MSP also made representations to the BBC about it. The opposition hate it that Nicola Sturgeon in their eyes 'gets a free platform'. But this is a fucking pandemic, the numbers are going up again, and how do the elderly, who are most at risk from the virus, get their up to date information now? :mad: or the deaf? (the daily briefings have a live sign interpreter). The BBC, refusing to show critical public health information.

I don't think singing is allowed yet in churches. Or at least it wasn't at the funeral I was at yesterday and I have to say the absence of hymn singing made for a better experience all round.

I don't think singing is allowed yet in churches. Or at least it wasn't at the funeral I was at yesterday and I have to say the absence of hymn singing made for a better experience all round.
At my Mum's funerall - early June - it was allowed - though without hymn books/sheets. Admittedly that was in the crematorium chapel, but the virus was just as likely to circulate via singing. ((((consistency)))

Doesn't help that Sturgeon consistently comes across as the most competent of the lot. Mrs Q is a big fan of Sturgeon and reckons she should be PM instead of BoZo. She was greatly disappointed that the SNP did not run a candidate in our constituency last Dec. (We live in the East Midlands)

I'm not a Nicola Sturgeon fan particularly, mostly because (not her fault) IMO it's far from healthy for a leader/ruling party to have such a weak and useless opposition in Scotland (both Tories and Labour)

But even this non-fan of hers honestly thinks she's doing pretty well in Scotland.
It'll always help I suppose, that she'll get compared with Johnson all the time -- quite rightly, and much to her credit.

Drakeford here in Wales is (IMO) just doing boringly OK-ish, and fairly competently on some things** ... faint praise seems appropriate damnation here! :D
But Johnson's utter shite-ness is helping him too, at least for comparison purposes.

**Not schools, I've heard!

Wales updates its rules

People in Wales must wear face masks in shops and other indoor public spaces from Monday, the first minister has announced.

Mark Drakeford said the change came as 20 people in every 100,000 in Wales now had coronavirus.

Indoor meetings of more than six from an extended household will be illegal from Monday.

The rule will not apply to children under 11 and up to 30 people from different homes can still meet outside.

Seems they've handled it better than England so far (faint praise, I know)

This will come as no surprise to anyone. :(

The critical coronavirus R number is now above one in every UK nation, according to a new study which suggests the virus is out of control across the country.

The reproduction number is 1.3 in England, 1.2 in Scotland and Wales, and 1.1 in Northern Ireland based on data from a government-funded app in which users self-report Covid-19 symptoms.

R is the number of people each infected person passes the virus on to, on average, and it needs to be kept below one in order to stay in control.

Three places in Northern Ireland - Belfast, Lisburn and Castlereagh, and Ards and North Down - now occupy the top of the Covid Symptom Study app's watchlist, which is used to identify potential hotspots. Of the others, four are in Scotland and three in England.

Even the ONS survey, which is limited by the sample size, has managed to detect the rise.

As has the Zoe COVID thing:

We are now seeing a significant increase in cases in the UK with over 3,000 daily new symptomatic cases, and an estimated R value of 1.2. We are now confident that this rise is statistically significant and that we are definitely experiencing a rise in COVID cases in the UK right now.

Screenshot 2020-09-11 at 13.09.06.png

edit - oops I was a little slow there and some of this overlaps with what cupid stunt just posted.

Also note that although I am using the nerdy thread for graphs and stuff, thats when I have excessive amounts of info to post, I will still stick graphs like the above one in this main thread if thats ok.

Looking at the dates on the ZOE app, it's when/after Scotland's schools opened but before England's. Don't know when they open in Wales or NI.

That Zoe thing now reckons there are more than twice as many active cases (per head) in the Highlands than in Lambeth.

London and the south of England seem to be doing best now.

Rule of six doesn’t apply to children under 12 in Scotland, but under 11 in Wales, and applies to children of any age in England. Could they not even manage some consistency? My 3 year old grandson is back at nursery as his mama’s office reopens this month, I look after him at my home one day a week. He mixes all day with children of commuters. I work on a supermarket checkout. Hard to guess which of us is the bigger risk to the other.

The most recent round of the Imperial REACT 1 programme (currently the largest home study - just under 153k participants) suggests 130 per 100,000 infected across England around the start of this month with an R estimated to be ~1.7 (a corresponding doubling time of ~1 week). Over 70% of the subjects were asymptomatic at the time of testing (positive) and viral loads were higher than on previous rounds (cycle thresholds lower). Highest prevalence was seen in 18-24 year olds.

Preprint here.

Estimates of the reproduction number of COVID-19 and projections of cases by Local Authority in Great Britain based on testing data and mortality data. Note that lockdown measures are coasted by the model (ie static going forward) and it can be skewed by testing as it does not yet account for increases in case numbers due to increase in testing in a given area.
icproj.png

Estimates of the reproduction number of COVID-19 and projections of cases by Local Authority in Great Britain based on testing data and mortality data. Note that lockdown measures are coasted by the model (ie static going forward) and it can be skewed by testing as it does not yet account for increases in case numbers due to increase in testing in a given area.
View attachment 229937

Was about to say that's bull as has Angus as 0% chance of being a hotspot, but then I remembered the superspreader event in Coupar Angus is confusingly in neighbouring Perth and Kinross.

Live updates - Birmingham, Solihull and Sandwell in lockdown- with ban on home visitors Live updates - Birmingham goes into lockdown- with ban on home visitors

As I see it, I cannot go to see my relatives at their home but I can meet them in a pub :confused:
I'll probably do neither for a while there are too many at risk people in our family myself included, but the mixed messaging just goes on and on.

Back
Top Bottom