Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Coronavirus in the UK - news, lockdown and discussion

Anyway. Cases rising in young people, who have not been widely tested before.
Higher figures for the naughty 17-21's, who've been visiting pubs and eating out and working, as they were told to do, but no probs whatsoever (well ok, maybe a bit) with ages below that, who've just returned to school.
Shall we see what happens next (assuming there's enough tests)?
Maybe it'd be helpful to have more age related stats for testing figures, covering a wider period (or any at all, for England, atm).

Maybe it'd be helpful to have more age related stats for testing figures, covering a wider period (or any at all, for England, atm).

I think they exist in some form, I will see what I can dig up but it might take some days.

As for the lack of recent info about number of tests on the official dashboard recently, I checked the notes and for England & Wales it says 'Data are updated weekly on a Thursday.'

There was certainly some age-related stuff in the slides that were used today and that I went into a bit on the nerdy thread, but they stop at the same early September moment that the number of people tested currently does.

The weekly surveillance report and associated data is another source for age-related stuff and I will dig into the next one of those when it comes out on Friday. Often the graphs in the report are too small to see the detail of this phase properly, bit I think the raw weekly numbers are in a separate data download. National COVID-19 surveillance reports

And what about all the people who've recently been unfurloughed? Now that employers are going to have to chip in, guess loads of people are going to lose their jobs.

...and loads of people are being inveighed into shit, poorly-paid "gig economy" jobs to make ends meet. I have a couple of dozen homes in my community that have lost all non-benefit income.

I think they exist in some form, I will see what I can dig up but it might take some days.

As for the lack of recent info about number of tests on the official dashboard recently, I checked the notes and for England & Wales it says 'Data are updated weekly on a Thursday.'

There was certainly some age-related stuff in the slides that were used today and that I went into a bit on the nerdy thread, but they stop at the same early September moment that the number of people tested currently does.

The weekly surveillance report and associated data is another source for age-related stuff and I will dig into the next one of those when it comes out on Friday. Often the graphs in the report are too small to see the detail of this phase properly, bit I think the raw weekly numbers are in a separate data download. National COVID-19 surveillance reports

The testing figures, on the gov dashboard, have only fairly recently stopped being updated daily (last 2-4 weeks, maybe? I'm guessing - time has been a bit blurred!)

Something else I've noticed (this week) is that while/when there have been blips, in getting it to load any results, there are two age related bits (in 'cases', I imagine - I can't remember :facepalm: ) that appear while it's attempting to load, then disappear once it has. :hmm:
That makes me sound massively paranoid, I'm sure :D but it's true!

Well I wasnt happy when lots of Scottish data became weekly only or no longer reported at all.

And governments generally do tend to have a habit of no longer providing the right data in such a timely manner if something happens that tells the public something that the authorities arent ready to acknowledge and discuss yet. Not always, but there are still times in the modern era and this pandemic where data goes missing for a while at key moments. Happened a few times with particular forms of hospital data in this pandemic. And there will always be excuses available, some of which are genuine. Less likely to happen with headline numbers that media report daily as a matter of routine.

I cant help with when any changes to number of tests data happened as I only started paying attention to that data very recently, having ingored most data relating to tests earlier in the pandemic since it was such an incomplete picture then. Well I know that the 'About' section for that data on the dashboard was last changed on Thursday 3rd September but I dont know what wording they actually changed then, it could have been the weekly thing but it could have been something else.

I have to say I have never been clear on the six-person thing? I mean I'm not a stupid person and I've read a lot about coronavirus, but I have never seen anything being explicit if this means 'Your household plus 6 people' or 'No more than 6 people to gather'. I assume it is the former - so 6 single people from different households can meet up, but not grandparents, their kid, their kid's partner and 3 grandkids - because things are sufficiently stupid.

I also continue to assert that it needs to be spelt out what is meant by a 'household' as I wouldn't be surprised if a fair amount of people genuinely think it means 'close family', ie, them and their kids and their grandparents and their siblings and their siblings' kids, for example.

To be fair, you'd not heard this yet at that point.

To confirm the FridgeMagnet's point, in the Government document quoted within that article, you find this :

Guardian said:
“The prime minister has tasked the secretary of state for health and social care with delivering a Mass Population Testing Programme, currently called Operation Moonshot, before the end of the year.

“This is described by the prime minister as our only hope for avoiding a second national lockdown before a vaccine, something the country cannot afford. He would also like this to support the opening up of the economy and allow the population to return to something closer to normality.”

For Reasons to be Fearful, Parts 1, 2 and 3 ;) check the Matt Hancock is a twat thread and multiple other sources :(

To be fair, you'd not heard this yet at that point.

2800.jpg

:facepalm:

They are just fleecing as much cash & stashing offshore before they get busted. I hope the whole lot of them get banged up. They are all in it together, (Cabinet responsibility) and should all do a long spell in side. It is so fucking crooked & they are taking the piss & rubbing our noses in it. Never been a fan of capital punishment but if you could put the death toll at over a thousand then I would be happy for the fucking lot of them to have large rockets shoved up their arses & put on bonfires on November 5th. I may be a bit pissed but I am also fucking angry. :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

They are just fleecing as much cash & stashing offshore before they get busted. I hope the whole lot of them get banged up. They are all in it together, (Cabinet responsibility) and should all do a long spell in side. It is so fucking crooked & they are taking the piss & rubbing our noses in it. Never been a fan of capital punishment but if you could put the death toll at over a thousand then I would be happy for the fucking lot of them to have large rockets shoved up their arses & put on bonfires on November 5th. I may be a bit pissed but I am also fucking angry. :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

I think that is covered by the "Citizen journey design and delivery" section

Bit fucking stupid for these clowns to call it a "moonshot" - instead of implying a massive, ambitious project like the Apollo missions, it just conjures up images of the fiery disaster that would occur if they attempted to organise a space mission.
Who will get the contracts for Moonshot? Will it be anyone with any medical experience? Or a pest control company?

Again I'll mention batch testing.

They did it in wuhan. Seems a better and cheaper bet than non existent tech.

Again I'll mention batch testing.

They did it in wuhan. Seems a better and cheaper bet than non existent tech.
Be sensible, that's not going to funnel nearly enough money into privatized pockets now is it? :rolleyes:

What's this moon shot gimmick?

Its a mutant propaganda version of some stuff that would actually be a great if it was available at the right time on the right scale with the right degree of accuracy, used in the appropriate ways and not stretched into areas it cannot really safely cover.

If we had a test that was accurate with a quick turnaround time and available on a massive scale then they could do things like give care staff, residents and visitors the amount of routine, regular testing that would be quite a large piece of the infection control puzzle. And the same with hospital staff and patients. And other priority settings. And then if that was all running well with spare capacity you could use it to unlock some options in other realms.

But these potentially desirable options have been clear since near the start. Once the penny dropped with them that all the limitations of our small scale testing based surveillance/survey approach to disease detection and epidemic tracking were going to be very obvious in this pandemic, they were going to end up talking up the alternatives, rather loudly to 'compensate' for the lack of ability to actually deliver these new ways.

Unfortunately since that penny dropped there was always going to be a long period of time featuring unpleasant pandemic events where we could not just magically offer up a system on this scale, or anything close. And they decided to fill much of that time by talking up some of these things, partly to look like they had a plan and partly to offer some false-timescale hope for people to cling to during the vaccine-less void stage of hopelessness in this pandemic.

In the past they spent a nasty part of the first wave talking up the possibilities that mass antibody testing might offer, and then went cold on that idea and stopped going on about it at all. This included stuff like immunity passports that they were happy to let the press go on about despite the obvious flaws with that plan. Sometimes they went so far as to make it sound like anyone would seen be getting a test routinely from various retailers, and yet the hyped up ambitious version of that soon vanished from the picture they were painting in press conferences etc.

I want other forms of quick, reliable testing to be rollled out. It was one of the things I was hoping would be more ready, at least for the hospital, carehome etc scenarios, before the dangerous autumn/winter period got going. And there have been various trials of saliva-based tests, including one I got to participate in that doesnt even seem to get mentioned on the news when they are writing stories about some of the other saliva trials. So I have a big interest in some aspects of what has been incorporated into this Moonshot thing. But now I'll continually have to do work to extract the reasonable, necessary and possible stuff on this front from the version of it the Tories are cooking up.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom