Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Coronavirus in the UK - news, lockdown and discussion

Call me set in my ways, but in me-me-me-office-world ;), I much prefer starting no later than 8 am and finishing (in these non-flexi times! :hmm: ) before 4:30 pm.

Or up to 6 pm when we're eventually allowed to make time again, all for the (normal-times quite frequent) Mondays off! :cool:

People have talked for years about staggering work times. It works really well for everybody else as long as I can have the 9-5 that works with my kids school/my partner’s hours/my hobbies/everything else
This is certainly a valid point.

The article also suggests working from home 4 days out of five and only going to the office one day a week, to do things that actually need face to face contact with colleagues, which might reduce the problem from what it would be if you had to do it five days a week.

I thought it was an interesting speculative article, though I wouldn't be surprised to find in five years that not much it suggests has actually come to pass for most people.

People have talked for years about staggering work times. It works really well for everybody else as long as I can have the 9-5 that works with my kids school/my partner’s hours/my hobbies/everything else

Could have some people starting at 10, others finishing at 4. The notion that eight hours' work is conducive to productivity bears zero scrutiny.

Could have some people starting at 10, others finishing at 4. The notion that eight hours' work is conducive to productivity bears zero scrutiny.
It hasn’t happened though, despite years of talking about it (hell, I remember such speculative articles when I was a teenager!), which is telling. I’ve worked in places with such “flexi-working” since 2010 but people still do 9-5 as their core. If anything, work hours have got longer, with many more just seeing 8-6 as standard.

I think it’s way more likely that we’ll skip any “staggered work” phase and go straight to large scale WFH. There’s a real attitude shift from the last few months that has followed similar ones from the Olympics in 2012 and a general culture drift during 2016-2020 (all in my experience, anyway). I can see a change so that WFH becomes the “normal day” with team days arranged in the office to catch up on shared projects.

On the other hand, if this all ended tomorrow, I think things would rapidly revert to their pre-March norms. How the next six months play out will be crucial for whether lasting change catches on or not.

Last edited:
Both working from home and working in the office is great as long as it's a choice. Main issue with me is that I've come under pressure from my colleagues to go back in (no one who needs me and no one I actually report to) and that as someone whose moved a lot over the years and has another move imminent it's difficult to commit time and money to making a nice workspace for myself

Both working from home and working in the office is great as long as it's a choice. Main issue with me is that I've come under pressure from my colleagues to go back in (no one who needs me and no one I actually report to) and that as someone whose moved a lot over the years and has another move imminent it's difficult to commit time and money to making a nice workspace for myself

My big concern about WFH as standard is that it offloads the cost of providing workspace and infrastructure onto workers, with no corresponding bump in salary or expenses.

My big concern about WFH as standard is that it offloads the cost of providing workspace and infrastructure onto workers, with no corresponding bump in salary or expenses.

Agreed, and also less H&S oversight of working spaces. My office chair at home is virtually identical to one that a colleague of mine used to have in his office, which the occupational health team took one look at and replaced there and then as a health hazard...

I suppose one might point out that WFH saves people the time and cost of commuting, but those of us who walk or cycle to work won't see any benefit from that.

That can happen anyway. When our office was south of the river I biked or bussed. When it moved north of the river I started using the tube again but colleagues east or north would walk cycle or bus.

We can start as early as 8 or as late as 10. 2 people regularly start at 8. Most arrive between 9.40 and 10.

There was an outbreak in a factory where I live and it was workers that had been bussed in from Swindon. Seems there are a few issues there.

Testing at our local mosque now. Weeks (months?) late, but better now than never I guess.

Unsurprisingly, someone at my work has already floated the idea that eventually, people who WFH could be paid less, as they no longer have to shell out for travel costs / higher cost of accommodation near work.

The response to my reply of "you fucking what now?!?!" was, "bottom line though, it'll be worth it to someone" :(

Unsurprisingly, someone at my work has already floated the idea that eventually, people who WFH could be paid less, as they no longer have to shell out for travel costs / higher cost of accommodation near work.

The response to my reply of "you fucking what now?!?!" was, "bottom line though, it'll be worth it to someone" :(
It was talked about on You & Yours on R4 today. Everyone where I work has had a lockdown pay cut incidentally, which is theoretically going away, but, you know. (To be fair, not based on the idea of working from home, more that the company was under more financial pressure, but it's been mentioned that it's not so bad because everyone's saving money not commuting.)

Last edited:

kudos for your reply :cool:

Could you press for a 15% increase in pay to cover increased house heating, water, etc costs - to be paid from the savings they make in office costs.

What sort of mind thinks of these things? :mad:

That really is taking the piss. Suggest a pay increase for use of own water and electricity.

Presumably they pay people who live far away more than those who live close. Ah wait, no I bet they don't.
This is the thing. I've never heard of a company who pays people commuting extras (except if they're management, but that's a different matter).

In fact if companies don't have to pay rent for offices that means they make more and they should share the profits more and increase salaries right? right?

Back
Top Bottom