Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Coronavirus in the UK - news, lockdown and discussion

Can't remember. But instead of 0 deaths in Scotland in the last five weeks, for example, these figures showed 34 in the four weeks they had numbers for.
Will give that a listen, ta.

It's a bit of a mess, stat-wise, cos the ONS stats seem only to cover England and Wales, not Scotland or NI. So there are a few different methodologies mixed up together.

It's hard to say this, cos it's Hancock and the Cunts, but this is actually a sensible thing to change.

It's hard to say this, cos it's Hancock and the Cunts, but this is actually a sensible thing to change.
It's okay. You don't have to give credit to Hancock for this. This statistical anomaly was highlighted by Professor Yoon K Loke, of the University of East Anglia, and Carl Heneghan, professor of evidence-based medicine at the Nuffield Department of Primary Care back in the middle of July. It was all over the newspapers on 17th July, some shouting loudly about overcounting deaths. On the day of the publicity Hancock announced an urgent review and this change to the stats is the outcome of that.

Will give that a listen, ta.

It's a bit of a mess, stat-wise, cos the ONS stats seem only to cover England and Wales, not Scotland or NI. So there are a few different methodologies mixed up together.

The NRS is Scotlands ONS equivalent. Their weekly updates come out on a Wednesday.

It's not that, though. Tbh this clears up something that's been bothering me for a while - the way UK deaths, and specifically England's, have not been falling as quickly as those of other places, and the way the vast majority of daily covid deaths are now outside hospital, when it used to be the other way around. tbf the BBC article explains this pretty well (for once) - the provisional headline figure will use this 28-day heuristic, but covid deaths after that time will be added later.

I wouldnt attribute that difference between Englands deaths and elsewhere to just the one reason.

I would, for example, be very tempted to include the fact our severe outbreaks and deaths were spread around large parts of the country in the explanation. Because some of the countries you could compare to England probably had outbreaks mostly centred on particular regions and a few cities etc in particular, so I'm not surprised their decline in deaths looked different to Englands.

There's a thing on social media that a lot of people died of something else but since they were suspected of having Covid19 or actualy tested post mortom and found positive, it's that goes on the death cert. This sounds like obvious bollocks but an extreme example I heard, a guy die in a motorcycle accident. Suspected of having Covid19, no symptoms, just assumed and that went on the death cert. Fucking up an insurance claims for his relatives in the process.

This is obviously so wack but how are Covid19 deaths recorded. What counts as dieing of Covid19?

Unless they are going to add those deaths back into the figures, which wouldn't surprise me, but then why just announce that 5000 were being taken off before they have finalised everything.

I think there was a debunking on twitter of the motorcycle accident thing (except it was America this allegedly happened not here), I've logged off it for a couple of days and don't know if I wanna go digging for it now.

There's a thing on social media that a lot of people died of something else but since they were suspected of having Covid19 or actualy tested post mortom and found positive, it's that goes on the death cert. This sounds like obvious bollocks but an extreme example I heard, a guy die in a motorcycle accident. Suspected of having Covid19, no symptoms, just assumed and that went on the death cert. Fucking up an insurance claims for his relatives in the process.

This is obviously so wack but how are Covid19 deaths recorded. What counts as dieing of Covid19?
That's basically not 100% clear. And it can't be really - comorbidities and that - hence the phrase 'dying with Covid-19'.

But this isn't quite what some people are making it out to be. Up to now, anyone who has ever tested positive for C19 who subsequently dies has been counted on the England stats, and that does explain why those stats have been staying a bit high in the last few weeks. And people who die of covid after more than 4 weeks will still be counted, but only after having been individually evaluated as dying from c-19, rather than in the proverbial car crash. Up to now, it appears to have been a semi-automated process in which c-19 positive test at any time plus death equals a c-19 death, which is anomalous now that we're many months into the pandemic.

(It's not really crashes, though, really, in most cases. In most cases it is people who were taken ill some months ago with c-19, many of them very old or already very ill, who then die of something else.)

The NRS is Scotlands ONS equivalent. Their weekly updates come out on a Wednesday.

As far as I know neither of the stats counters (worldometers and jhu) are using the ONS figures in their calculations but I could be wrong on that.

I am sure there are various arguments for the change and I'm sure some have been incorrectly recorded as covid when it is not, but I find it really hard to believe it's as much as 5000 and we all know this lot will try and fiddle the figures for just about anything to make themselves look better.

As far as I know neither of the stats counters (worldometers and jhu) are using the ONS figures in their calculations but I could be wrong on that.
Worldometers uses the daily releases, so not ONS. I think JHU is the same, but can't swear by it.

But they do adjust periodically when better data comes out. Sweden's death distribution got rearranged significantly (same number, but very different dates) on Worldometers when the Swedish authorities released new figures a few weeks ago.

Worldometers uses the daily releases, so not ONS. I think JHU is the same, but can't swear by it.

But they do adjust periodically when better data comes out. Sweden's death distribution got rearranged significantly (same number, but very different dates) on Worldometers when the Swedish authorities released new figures a few weeks ago.

Yeah i read Sweden's numbers are often back dated from a while ago I think (I think some other countries do it the same way).

Yeah i read Sweden's numbers are often back dated from a while ago I think (I think some other countries do it the same way).
tbf I know it sounds like I might be making excuses for the authorities, but I don't think most countries, even England, are trying to fiddle the figures. It's just not that easy to keep track of it all. Worldometers and others also try to keep things as consistent as they can, but with methodologies varying across countries and time, it's not easy.

And 41,000 is still fuckloads. Plus you can't hide from the most basic figure, which is the excess deaths figure. That's the best one really, as it also catches the collateral damage of those killed by the response to covid rather than covid itself. It won't be changed by this adjustment. It's still horrible reading.

It's ridiculous to argue that someone didnt die of covid if they died in hospital and died after 5 weeks instead of 4 though. I really hope that the BBC has misreported that part.

And yeah 41000 is still loads, I wasnt arguing otherwise. Just that it seems dodgy to me especially since we know from death certificate numbers marked with covid that way more than that have died.

It's ridiculous to argue that someone didnt die of covid if they died in hospital and died after 5 weeks instead of 4 though. I really hope that the BBC has misreported that part.
No, that's not what will happen. They won't be included in the rather mechanical part of the process that gives the daily figure, but their death will be added later.

I really hope you are right because there are more than enough problems with their pandemic response as it is.
It's still a bit mechanical. A 28 day figure daily, plus a 60 day figure weekly, but no time limit if c-19 is mentioned on the death certificate.

Now the UK's four chief medical officers have decided to use a single, consistent measure and publish the number of deaths that occurred within 28 days of a positive coronavirus test confirmed in a lab, every day.

Every week for England, a new set of figures will be published showing the number of deaths that occur within 60 days of a positive test.

Deaths that occur after 60 days - such as those who have been in intensive care for many months - will also be added in if Covid-19 appears on the death certificate.

It's fair enough if that's what everyone else is doing, tbh. Cos we're all going on Worldometers or JHU and comparing countries. ;)

It's still a bit mechanical. A 28 day figure daily, plus a 60 day figure weekly, but no time limit if c-19 is mentioned on the death certificate.

It's fair enough if that's what everyone else is doing, tbh. Cos we're all going on Worldometers or JHU and comparing countries. ;)

That makes a bit more sense, the way the bbc reported it sounded like more attempts at covering shit up (I know other countries do it too , it doesn't necessarily make it better). I really hope it is true.

Thing is covid causes long term issues and increases the risks of blood clots and strokes, I've heard of people ending up in hospital from those sort of complications a month or few weeks later, and there is that illness a small number of children get weeks later.

I guess if they aren't 100% what caused it the covid illness could be mentioned as a possible contributing factor.

No, that's not what will happen. They won't be included in the rather mechanical part of the process that gives the daily figure, but their death will be added later.
How? Where will it be added? I’m sure the ONS data will pick it up but not the figures that most media report on regularly. It just seems an attempt to slightly reduce the regularly reported data to make things look better and remove an inconsistency and some errors but introduce others that won’t be reported or focused on widely when those errors are corrected by others. Maybe this is why there is talk of removing these daily figures to avoid future underreporting of deaths under the new methodology.

How? Where will it be added? I’m sure the ONS data will pick it up but not the figures that most media report on regularly. It just seems an attempt to slightly reduce the regularly reported data to make things look better and remove an inconsistency and some errors but introduce others that won’t be reported or focused on widely when those errors are corrected by others. Maybe this is why there is talk of removing these daily figures to avoid future underreporting of deaths under the new methodology.

Yep.

If they are gonna end up adding some of them back then why not do that first and calculate as accurate a figure as they can, rather than releasing a potentially incomplete figure as though it's definitive?

The important thing is that no-one is defending this pathetic tory attempt at manipulating death statistics to their benefit.

(I haven't read the whole thread)

report.PNG

Back
Top Bottom