Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Coronavirus in the UK - news, lockdown and discussion

Thanks for this.

Fares to be hiked after TfL secures £1.6bn emergency bailout deal

The article was finished before the deal. The LR article was correct in its forecast what the Tories might do. They are using the London vs rest of England as a stick to beat TFL and the "profligate" Mayor Khan. And Londoners in general is how I read what Shapps says.

So we arent all this together is what I get from this Tory imposed deal on Khan.

Fares will go up, senior citizens lose some of Freedom pass.

This bailout with strings is first step in Tories telling ordinary people they are now going to have to pay for this crisis.

The LR article shows how working class and Black Londoners have little access to cars and depend on public transport. Transport is a class issue in London.
I don't know for sure, but it strikes me that a tonne of over 60's in London have no choice but to work to support themselves and their families, so they are probably using their Freedom Passes to get to work, not for some leisurely activities, and many of them are not even earning that much. So cruel.

I'm sure Daily Mail Editor Geordie Gregg (Born 16 December 1960 in Lambeth, London,[1][2] Greig is the son of Sir Carron Greig and Monica Stourton, granddaughter of the 24th Lord Mowbray, Segrave and Stourton. Members of his father's family have been royal courtiers for three generations — including his twin sister Laura, who was a lady-in-waiting to Diana, Princess of Wales.[3] He attended Eton College and St Peter's College, Oxford.[2] ) and owner, Viscount Rothermere (Hurrah!) have been putting themselves in harms way over the last few weeks, maybe working in a care home? Out helping the homeless? Yeah?

I can remember some care home managers standing up to the NHS and refusing to take untested patients, and that wasn't so very long ago.

The care home owner that I know refused to take in discharged NHS patients unless they were tested, but these would have been new residents, not ones that had gone into hospital from her home.

I would not be surprised if two things happen.

1. the abolition of the post of London Mayor.

2. The tube becoming driverless asap.

abolishing it entirely would injure the PM's ego. you'd be saying the 8 years he spent in the role amounted to nothing too. better for them to keep the post but put more restrictions on his already very limited powers to do anything against central government direction. neuter Khan or any other Labour mayor.

2 requires £ billions of investment up front, but the government is already preparing for another round of austerity sadly

A second antibody laboratory test has been approved in the UK - Abbott's SARS-CoV-2 IgG chemiluminescent immunoassay claims specificity of 96.63% (99.05-99.90% @95%CI) and sensitivity of 100% (95.89-100% @95%CI) after 14 days.
Do you mean 99.63%?

What is it will these idiots that think they can spit in the faces of coppers, whilst claiming they have C-19?

We have had at least 4 cases across Sussex, one got a suspended sentence, one jailed for 3 months, and another for 6 months. Now we have this fourth twat, who has been convicted of spitting in the faces of two coppers and a nurse, and is facing a sentence of longer than 12 months.

Sussex Police said Sarah Clarkson-Rose, of New Barn Lane, Ridgewood, Uckfield, pleaded guilty to assaulting two police officers and an A&E nurse at Eastbourne District General Hospital, when she appeared at a virtual hearing in custody at Brighton Magistrates Court on Wednesday (May 13).

The 42-year-old, who is unemployed, was remanded in custody for sentencing next month, the force said. A police spokesman said: “District Judge Amanda Kelly remanded her in custody to Lewes Crown Court for sentencing on June 10, as she felt the offence merited a longer period in custody than 12 months.”

SOURCE

So, she's basically going to be shitting herself in custody for a month, before the case is moved up to Crown Court, panicking about how long she will have to serve, what a fucking twat.

That’s a great illustration of the danger of a “heroes” popular discourse. You don’t need to feel guilty about putting a hero in harm’s way because that’s what a hero does. So actually you can feel good and righteous for helping the hero actualise themself. Turn a class of people into heroes and you don’t need to pay them, protect them, worry about their emotional needs or do any of the other pesky things that get in the way of their destiny of sacrifice.

It’s utter bullshit. We’ve seen it play out with soldiers, with medical staff, with care staff and now it’s the teachers’ turn. If you don’t like it, you need to resist the rhetoric at every stage. Don’t fall into any of the traps, including the Poppy Day idealisation of the soldier identity, the clapping for the NHS, the use of words like “angels” and “heroes” etc etc. Use the opportunity instead to express anger that the very reason these things are seen as necessary is because we haven’t fulfilled our social duty of care to those we are creating heroes of.

Last edited:
That’s a great illustration of the danger of a “heroes” popular discourse. You don’t need to feel guilty about putting a hero in harm’s way because that’s what a hero does. So actually you can feel good and righteous for helping the hero actualise themself. Turn a class of people into heroes and you don’t need to pay them, protect them, worry about their emotional needs or do any of the other pesky things that get in the way of their destiny of sacrifice.

It’s utter bullshit. We’ve seven it play out with soldiers, with medical staff, with care staff and now it’s the teachers’ turn. If you don’t like it, you need to resist the rhetoric at every stage. Don’t fall into any of the traps, including the Poppy Day idealisation of the soldier identity, the clapping for the NHS, the use of words like “angels” and “heroes” etc etc. Use the opportunity instead to express anger that the very reason these things are seen as necessary is because we haven’t fulfilled our social duty of care to those we are creating heroes of.

This.

Honeywell to make 70 million facemasks:

FFP2 and FFP3 masks will be produced over an 18-month period at Honeywell’s site in Newhouse, Scotland, with production set to begin as early as July. Each month will see up to 4.5 million masks roll off the production line, ready for distribution to frontline NHS and social care workers.

Which, I guess, proves that we are going to be in the shit for a bloody long time. :(

Thanks for this.

Fares to be hiked after TfL secures £1.6bn emergency bailout deal

The article was finished before the deal. The LR article was correct in its forecast what the Tories might do. They are using the London vs rest of England as a stick to beat TFL and the "profligate" Mayor Khan. And Londoners in general is how I read what Shapps says.

So we arent all this together is what I get from this Tory imposed deal on Khan.

Fares will go up, senior citizens lose some of Freedom pass.

This bailout with strings is first step in Tories telling ordinary people they are now going to have to pay for this crisis.

The LR article shows how working class and Black Londoners have little access to cars and depend on public transport. Transport is a class issue in London.

It's a class issue across the UK, not just London.

It's annoyed me that the advice is "drive to work".

Also, that unlimited length car journeys are now ok. So if you own a car, you have freedom, and if you don't, you have to stay at home, and furthermore if you want to try and walk or cycle places, increased traffic makes it even worse for you.

It's not unreasonable for residents of seaside resorts to be worried about a bunch of people showing up from other parts of the country bringing infection. And in general terms, it's a myth that travelling by car is somehow risk free. It encourages people to travel more, and further (because they feel safe) and what happens at the destinations of all those journeys gets ignored.

It's notable to me that so much of the imagery of "irresponsible behaviour" on the news is pictures of people in urban parks, or supposedly crowded public transport in London. Not people in cars.

It's annoyed me that the advice is "drive to work".

I don't agree with that, if it helps to reduce people using public transport, and reduces the risk to those that have no choice, under the current circumstances, I think that's good advice.

But, I agree with the rest.

I don't agree with that, if it helps to reduce people using public transport, and reduces the risk to those that have no choice, under the current circumstances, I think that's good advice.

It depends on local circumstances.
In urban areas it can mean that if you're better off and own a car you can simply bypass the risk that everyone else has to take. Public transport is left for those who have no option, and you start to see resentment at funding going to keep systems like TfL going, because the people that can afford to bypass reliance on those systems are less invested in protecting them. Same pattern as you see in non pandemic times. I'm going a little off topic - this is probably for the anti car thread.

It's a crap plan in London. Even if everyone who could did it would never work. Imagine every retail worker in the west end going to work by car.

FFS .
Anybody heard anything about this . Apparently not official yet :(
Homeless people put up in hotels amid pandemic to be kicked out

My summary of article is that the government expect Councils to deal with homelessness and the Tories aren't going to put any money into this.

One of the things about the pandemic is that its local Councils along with volunteers who have stepped in to deal with the social consequences of the pandemic/ lockdown. With little support from Boris.

What support there is the Tories are making clear now is temporary. The lifting of the lockdown will see government telling Councils its your problem now.

Also the article points out the no eviction period ends soon and its likely there will be an increase in people made homeless.

Back
Top Bottom