Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Coronavirus in the UK - news, lockdown and discussion

It's an odd situation for johnson, the ultimate position of strength in parliament, opposition in disarray, fawning backbenchers on his own side, no obvious scenarios as to how any of that will change (at least pre virus). But then he's clearly fucking things up and pretty much killing people in the name of business-as-usual-neoliberalism. This should be the point where an alternative opens up (well, at least at the end of the crisis, next year), but I don't see any of the things you'd need in place for that to happen. I really don't take it as read that this will strengthen anybody even vaguely on the side of the angels. :(
Yup still 20 points ahead of Mr Forensic 'Real Deal ' Starmer

The thing is very occasionally Boris pauses mid sentence and a look comes across his face that makes me think he's had a brief moment of clarity and realised that he's talking utter nonsense, but he's already halfway down the log flume ride and can't stop now.
It's a political persona that doesn't have to make sense. He's made a career out of talking to people in ways that are neither logical nor deal with detail, a kind of Have I Got News For You + Get. Brexit. Done. Trump comparisons are often overdone in regard to Johnson, but not that.

Fines are being increased from £60 to £100, doubling with every ticket to a maximum of £3200. :hmm:

Making the advice more vague while bumping up the fines? "Stay Alert" reminds one of nothing. There's no fucking way that's not deliberate in some fashion. A green border, really? Fuck this stupid, arrogant, privately miseducated cuntdick government.

Utter shitbunglers. Those idiots are going to ruin us all with their incompetence, and then in their petty and self-serving malice they will shift the blame onto us and make us pay for their mistakes and crimes.

Sorry, that turned into a bit of a rant. I wasn't impressed with how this outbreak is being handled in this country before, but I've been experiencing an increasing combination of disbelief and anger at how badly this thing is being handled right now.

Even a lot of businesses don't seem to be impressed. Certainly nothing has changed at my place of work.

So what, you do your normal work while getting paid 80% of your wage? That sounds....an interesting proposition.

Employers have the option to pay the 20%. Either way the volunteering would have to be truly voluntary at least for the 80%. I can sort if see the sense as furloughed workers have possibly volunteered for something. However charity employers can be as cunty as any other. Also if the work can still be done and needs to be done then surely they shouldn't be furlough them anyway. Argh. Brain hurts.

I like your other posts better.

Sorry about that. I am overweight myself, and have terribly limited experience of discussing the subject beyond my own family etc where we all all familiar with talking about it in our own, relaxed, sometimes jokey manner, with various degrees of disregard of things that actually matter when discussing more broadly/publicly.

I am genuinely interested to see whether Johnson attempts to lose some weight after his Covid experience. I know that I am going to try to use it to scare myself into more seriously tackling my own weight.

Anyway since I am useless at discussing this subject there is every chance I will put my foot in it again now when seeking to explain myself. The whole reason I opened my gob on this in the first place is that I just dont get these comments about how ill Johnson looks these days. I should have just said he still looks the same to me. But then my mind starts to wander and I start thinking about things that I will probably start talking about in all the wrong way again. Such as the idea that if he is losing weight before our very eyes, some people might think that he actually looks more ill as a result, but I will be judging it differently. Oh dear, I'm sorry, there are reasons why I ended up as a nerd who can talk endlessly about certain narrow subjects, but who has a vast range of things I never want to try to talk about on u75. My comfort zone is rather narrow and I usually fall down when I step beyond it, sorry again.

Making the advice more vague while bumping up the fines? "Stay Alert" reminds one of nothing. There's no fucking way that's not deliberate in some fashion. A green border, really? Fuck this stupid, arrogant, privately miseducated cuntdick government.

Utter shitbunglers. Those idiots are going to ruin us all with their incompetence, and then in their petty and self-serving malice they will shift the blame onto us and make us pay for their mistakes and crimes.

Sorry, that turned into a bit of a rant. I wasn't impressed with how this outbreak is being handled in this country before, but I've been experiencing an increasing combination of disbelief and anger at how badly this thing is being handled right now.

Even a lot of businesses don't seem to be impressed. Certainly nothing has changed at my place of work.

Don't apologise for having a rant. There's been a problem all along with the messages being given by the government, lack of clarity, and slogans/scheduled applause instead of addressing concerns and questions.

I am not sure whether to laugh or cry right now, probably a bit of both, maybe will have a rant myself later. Go ahead and rant.

This is a petition, started by the CEO of a charity, asking for the government to allow furloughed charity workers to volunteer at the charity they work for.

:thumbs:

I work for a charity; I am not furloughed.

However we have many 100s of staff who are furloughed - some of them would jump at the chance to keep helping the charity fulfil its aims.

So what, you do your normal work while getting paid 80% of your wage? That sounds....an interesting proposition.

1. No. The government pays 80% the charity pays the other 20%.

2. Who says they have to do their "normal work" (or their normal hours)?

Covid19 restrictions mean that many of our staff are unable to do their normal jobs. However there are plenty of other tasks which need doing that are not impacted by Covid19 restrictions.

I am currently advertising for volunteers; I would love for existing staff - who chose to - to help the work I'm undertaking. The rules around the government's Job Retention Scheme mean they are forbidden from helping the charity in any way at all. :(

The how many people can you meet outdoors thing is like one of those irritating 'maths' puzzles that are all over Facebook cos everyone is so bored.

Boris lives with his partner and a baby.

Boris has two previous wives and at least seven children, as well as a mother, father and two siblings.

How many trips out must Boris make in order to see all his family?

Answer - none because they've all seen enough of the cunt.

Responding with responses. Can't say fairer than that.

By which I mean this useless cunt would literally be able to say 'fairer than that' because it's too complex of a phrase.

elbows have you seen any updates on community/serology tests? I mean from the POV of establishing spread through the population.

This came up again in the press conference, did you see it? Vallance talking about results (that are now out of date) along the lines of maybe 10% in London, more like 4% elsewhere, but I was only half listening and havent got time to go back and transcribe that bit properly at the moment so check those numbers before taking my word for it.

Anyone else watching through their fingers.
I just watched 20 seconds, which was enough. Only thing I'd say is that his waffle and non-answers are quite effective, in a limited sense. Nobody can, to say the least, be impressed with him but it does avoid getting into any of the difficult questions.

I think it's all about context. If there was a strong opposition ready to pounce along with a critical national broadcaster - and even more so a strong working class politics with its own infrastructure - he'd be weakening his own position with the waffle. But as none of those things are in place,, it just makes these events a waste of time, a neutral score draw really.

Sorry about that. I am overweight myself, and have terribly limited experience of discussing the subject beyond my own family etc where we all all familiar with talking about it in our own, relaxed, sometimes jokey manner, with various degrees of disregard of things that actually matter when discussing more broadly/publicly.

I am genuinely interested to see whether Johnson attempts to lose some weight after his Covid experience. I know that I am going to try to use it to scare myself into more seriously tackling my own weight.

Anyway since I am useless at discussing this subject there is every chance I will put my foot in it again now when seeking to explain myself. The whole reason I opened my gob on this in the first place is that I just dont get these comments about how ill Johnson looks these days. I should have just said he still looks the same to me. But then my mind starts to wander and I start thinking about things that I will probably start talking about in all the wrong way again. Such as the idea that if he is losing weight before our very eyes, some people might think that he actually looks more ill as a result, but I will be judging it differently. Oh dear, I'm sorry, there are reasons why I ended up as a nerd who can talk endlessly about certain narrow subjects, but who has a vast range of things I never want to try to talk about on u75. My comfort zone is rather narrow and I usually fall down when I step beyond it, sorry again.
You do such an amazingly valuable job of pulling a lot of complicated and bitty information together clearly, that it just leapt out as a bit hunh??

I guess the context of your post didn't come across. (But then, nor should you have to justify yourself.)

Pure anecdote but I was in the socially distanced queue to marks & fucking Spencer’s this morning in a small town in Hertfordshire that’s voted Tory since it was born and people were not just moaning about yesterday’s announcement they were saying they were going to disobey it (not send their 5 year olds to school & not go to work) . For the context it was pretty interesting that kind of defiance , this is not where you’d expect to see mass disobedience and I think there could be an interesting few weeks ahead.

This came up again in the press conference, did you see it? Vallance talking about results (that are now out of date) along the lines of maybe 10% in London, more like 4% elsewhere, but I was only half listening and havent got time to go back and transcribe that bit properly at the moment so check those numbers before taking my word for it.

No I didn't, cheers though. Difficult with out of date info, though I suppose it always will be... Given that New York City was reporting 25% it's either a) low or b) quite worrying. Or c) just not really enough info (given NYC's data is also somewhat open to interpretation). I can understand somewhat why this makes the job of advisers so tricky.

e2a: I haven't actually watched a single full conference, can't afford to be continuously replacing computer monitors...

Pure anecdote but I was in the socially distanced queue to marks & fucking Spencer’s this morning in a small town in Hertfordshire that’s voted Tory since it was born and people were not just moaning about yesterday’s announcement they were saying they were going to disobey it (not send their 5 year olds to school & not go to work) . For the context it was pretty interesting that kind of defiance , this is not where you’d expect to see mass disobedience and I think there could be an interesting few weeks ahead.
This is not just food a queue, this is a Marks and Spencer queue...

I work for a charity; I am not furloughed.

However we have many 100s of staff who are furloughed - some of them would jump at the chance to keep helping the charity fulfil its aims.

1. No. The government pays 80% the charity pays the other 20%.

2. Who says they have to do their "normal work" (or their normal hours)?

Covid19 restrictions mean that many of our staff are unable to do their normal jobs. However there are plenty of other tasks which need doing that are not impacted by Covid19 restrictions.

I am currently advertising for volunteers; I would love for existing staff - who chose to - to help the work I'm undertaking. The rules around the government's Job Retention Scheme mean they are forbidden from helping the charity in any way at all. :(
I'm sure that it would be great for some people. But if I think about some of the charities I used to work for, I know that they would not be topping up that 20% and would certainly be pressurising people to come and do their full jobs on the 80%.

I'm glad your organisation isn't like that, but there are plenty of charity shit shows out there.

If people really want to volunteer but can't for their own organisation, can't they do it reciprocally, or for whichever charity they'd also like to support?

Maybe childminders can open now. Or on Wednesday. Or on the 1st of June.
No one knows yet, which is nice. They might be able to open if they can do social distancing. But they might not have to.
Also nurseries. Maybe they should be encouraging all children of keyworkers to be going in now (or from Wednesday). Maybe they will be required to have smaller groups and social distancing or maybe not. Probably from 1st June?
DfE might clarify later.
Oh wait, now they've re-clarified and it is 1st June.

The how many people can you meet outdoors thing is like one of those irritating 'maths' puzzles that are all over Facebook cos everyone is so bored.

Boris lives with his partner and a baby.

Boris has two previous wives and at least seven children, as well as a mother, father and two siblings.

How many trips out must Boris make in order to see all his family?

Answer - none because they've all seen enough of the cunt.

Back
Top Bottom