Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Coronavirus in the UK - news, lockdown and discussion

We get about 3 a day, caused a few meltdowns so far for my 7 year old. She's getting over it now but it's a trigger for her. She's been great overall but the ice cream van is a deal breaker. :(
My five year old still believes they only play music when they run out of ice cream. Don't think that'll last long though. Could see the woman opposite (who is a local Labour activist and has been vocally against easing lockdown on our street's whatsapp group) had been bullied into going by her two daughters.

2 weeks time surely?

Any changes in behaviour will be gradual. So what the tube looked like this morning, it'll be worse by friday. And everything takes time to have an effect. By June 1st, when the school reopen, I'd expect us to be firmly back in oh fuck territory, only this time with reduced resources across the board and public morale grievously depleted.

This is a petition, started by the CEO of a charity, asking for the government to allow furloughed charity workers to volunteer at the charity they work for.

:thumbs:

If they can own that space with large numbers they can manage it now
I think this is wildly optimistic as
  1. they don't have large numbers of staff to deploy
  2. any new staff brought in would need to understand the complex systems of tunnels connecting the platforms and how passengers move along them when changing trains
  3. the more staff they stick in the tunnels trying to stop people moving, which is realistically all they can do, the more pinch points they create
Unless they can successfully limit the number of people wanting to travel by tube, which would have been made rather easier if Johnson hadn't made his announcement at 7pm on a Sunday, it will be a huge struggle to manage it, especially given that there is still a reduced service running and it will take weeks to get it back to normal levels.

What does this actually mean?

People may drive to outdoor open spaces irrespective of distance, so long as they respect social distancing guidance while they are there, because this does not involve contact with people outside your household. pp27

Is it the driving that means you do not involve contact (which is obvious unless you crash) or is it the 2m rule when you get to wherever you are going? If it is social distancing why the final clause?

This is a petition, started by the CEO of a charity, asking for the government to allow furloughed charity workers to volunteer at the charity they work for.

:thumbs:
So what, you do your normal work while getting paid 80% of your wage? That sounds....an interesting proposition.

What does this actually mean?

People may drive to outdoor open spaces irrespective of distance, so long as they respect social distancing guidance while they are there, because this does not involve contact with people outside your household. pp27

Is it the driving that means you do not involve contact (which is obvious unless you crash) or is it the 2m rule when you get to wherever you are going? If it is social distancing why the final clause?

It means go where you like, as long as you steer clear of others when you get there.

One of the few bits of common sense in all this tbh. Fining someone for having a picnic or sunbathing 100 metres from anyone else when you've got thousands of people sat shoulder to shoulder on tube trains thanks to government policy would be a gross absurdity.

Bit of a rant. But a valid one.No idea who that guy is mind you. I think they've stopped putting Cabinet members up for the morning Morgan slaughter and sending in nobodies

For some reason that's not displaying on here but easily found on Twitter.

Now THAT'S forensic.

What a fucking mess. Completely inept.

I mean - just taking the TV appearance yesterday - ignoring the fact that Johnson is simply can't do anything serious - I thought it was fairly clear, if actually impractical and possibly the wrong things to be doing at this time.

However, soon after some additional changes seemed to have been given to news organizations which confuses things. Today there's a bunch more 'stuff' and the stuff announced yesterday (like going back to work) was actually only to start from Wednesday?

I was moaning about the Monday/this week stuff in the Starmer thread last night, but it turned out there was an earlier press release yesterday that did mention Monday for work stuff, which explains why opposition, unions and media yesterday were going on about a return to work with only 12 hours notice, despite the fact Johnson said 'this week' not Monday in his speech.

This is what I said last night before I knew about the press release:

Johnson didnt actually say Monday, he said this week. The new guidelines for companies arent even published yet and there is supposed to be various hideous detail out during the week.

"And the first step is a change of emphasis that we hope that people will act on this week."

Its psychological stuff, trying to evolve the sense of what is the next new normal, and trying to ramp up various pressures on certain workers to return to work. In reality I'm sure that they know its going to be a long process. Psychological stuff they need to indulge in because neither they or the virus are in sole control of the timetable. The attitude of the masses towards the pandemic, risks to themselves or others, and a bunch of other stuff will also dictate the reality of how lockdown relaxes, at what pace, and what the new normals are along the way. I dont want opposition figures, unions etc to deliver criticisms that contain implicit acceptance of certain aspects of the governments position and message, and I feel a bit like thats what they've done by going for a 'he's only given people 12 hours notice' criticism this evening. I'd have been happier if they just said Monday was absurd and acted like even Johnson couldnt possibly have meant that! Keep the R below 1 and the Ridicule above 1.

And this is what I said when I heard about the press release:

Got a bit more detail today that explains the context of the situation that lead to my previous complaint about the media & opposition figures treating the return to work stuff as something that should have started on Monday. Apparently there was a press release some hours before Johnson spoke yesterday, and that mentioned Monday. So even though Johnson only said this week in his speech, the earlier detail had already been picked up on by Starmer, unions and the media. Anyway, apparently it says Wednesday in todays document. The BBC news showed Starmer asking Johnson questions about this in parliament earlier, but didnt show Johnsons response.

The whole statement appeares to be purposefully vague so that at no point later on can he be held to account for it.

I fear that may not play out as he hopes it will. Another month or so of this clown show and even the likes of Kuenssberg will be forced to climb at least part of the way back out of Johnson's arsehole.

Maybe childminders can open now. Or on Wednesday. Or on the 1st of June.
No one knows yet, which is nice. They might be able to open if they can do social distancing. But they might not have to.
Also nurseries. Maybe they should be encouraging all children of keyworkers to be going in now (or from Wednesday). Maybe they will be required to have smaller groups and social distancing or maybe not. Probably from 1st June?
DfE might clarify later.

I was moaning about the Monday/this week stuff in the Starmer thread last night, but it turned out there was an earlier press release yesterday that did mention Monday for work stuff, which explains why opposition, unions and media yesterday were going on about a return to work with only 12 hours notice, despite the fact Johnson said 'this week' not Monday in his speech.

This is what I said last night before I knew about the press release:

And this is what I said when I heard about the press release:
I thought he said ' tomorrow ' re going back to work. Which would be Monday, but he didn't say the word Monday. But I'm not 100% sure and haven't got the will to watch it again.

But if you can't get childcare and your employer says you need to come in anyway, they probably shouldn't do that, and maybe you should have a chat with them.

Back
Top Bottom