Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Coronavirus in the UK - news, lockdown and discussion

I'm so delighted that Trump's banned flights from the EU to the USA but NOT here. That means that every single American trying to get home from any virus hotspot in the EU is going to be coming via London. Slow hand clap.
It's a weirdly arbitrary decision, even for Trump. Does he understand the difference between Schengen and non-Schengen free movement?

It's like he had a hat full of random stuff to do and just pulled one of them out.

I really hope Trump catches it.

I'm so delighted that Trump's banned flights from the EU to the USA but NOT here. That means that every single American trying to get home from any virus hotspot in the EU is going to be coming via London. Slow hand clap.

No, there are still fights from the Schengen zone to approved US airports, but only US citizens or lawful residents will be able to take them after today.

Anyone sneaking in via the UK from tomorrow and pretending they have not been in the Schengen zone in the past 14 days will be barred for life from the US if caught. If they infect anyone they can expect a very long prison term.

No, there are still fights from the Schengen zone to approved US airports, but only US citizens or lawful residents will be able to take them after today.

Anyone sneaking in via the UK from tomorrow and pretending they have not been in the Schengen zone in the past 14 days will be barred for life from the US if caught. If they infect anyone they can expect a very long prison term.
Oh. That's not how it's being reported on the BBC.

Trump halts travel from Europe to US

In the Trumpverse, everything is a political pose, isn't it? Britain needs to be 'rewarded' for brexit. UK has left EU so its position wrt coronavirus is magically different. It's bonkers.

Trump is a twat, but it's nothing to do with brexit, it's to do with the Schengen area, hence Ireland & other European countries are not being included in the ban.

Trump is a twat, but it's nothing to do with brexit, it's to do with the Schengen area, hence Ireland & other European countries are not being included in the ban.
that's an arbitrary decision, though, not based on any sensible calculation of risk re Schengen/non-Schengen. It's a purely political position.

eg Poland is in Schengen and has both a low rate of infection currently and a set of very rigorous measures put in place early.

I’ve had flu jab and pneumonia immunisation which will probably do bugger all but here’s hoping.

Hopefully it’ll be wfh next week as the city descends into chaos.

Oooh, further information coming later today from management.... suspect it will be at least a suggestion not to come in unless essential, possibly more than that.

that's an arbitrary decision, though, not based on any sensible calculation of risk re Schengen/non-Schengen. It's a purely political position.

eg Poland is in Schengen and has both a low rate of infection currently and a set of very rigorous measures put in place early.

Of course it's arbitrary, but still nowt to do with brexit.

Of course it's arbitrary, but still nowt to do with brexit.

It’s political and unable to be unlinked from brexit. He’s giving Britain special treatment (and yes Ireland as well but the focus is very much on Britain, I don’t think Trump even knows what an Ireland is at this stage of his dementia)

It’s a nod to the Special Alliance and I don’t think you can divorce it from brexit.

Gatherings of more than 500 people should be cancelled from next week, the Scottish government is advising.

First Minister Nicola Sturgeon said this was to free up emergency services, including police and ambulance crews, to deal with coronavirus.

She said it was not necessary to close schools and universities yet, but added that would remain under review.

In the Trumpverse, everything is a political pose, isn't it? Britain needs to be 'rewarded' for brexit. UK has left EU so its position wrt coronavirus is magically different. It's bonkers.

Probably a bit of both. He dislikes the EU and likes Brexit, so it is two fingers up to the EU. At the same time Ireland is still in the EU, so it's more a Schengen thing, as people can in theory walk from Italy to Germany and get on a plane to the US. Of course Trump has no idea that Iceland is in Schengen.

Oh. That's not how it's being reported on the BBC.

Trump halts travel from Europe to US

The facts are:

From midnight tonight US time anyone arriving from the Schengen Zone will be turned back if not a US citizen or lawful US resident. Further the US will only accept flights from (and therefore to) the Schengen Zone in to approved airports; Atlanta, Dallas Ft Worth, Detroit, Newark, Honolulu, JFK, LAX, Chicago O'Hare, Seattle, San Francisco and Washington Dulles.

Anyone arriving from a non-Schengen Zone country will need to declare that they have not entered the Zone in the past 14 days. Same as from China (not Hong Kong and Macau) and Iran.

Hopefully that big jump in numbers today will increase pressure on the government to put in place a few more measures. I see the guardian's now running a stream of articles to say the government's response isn't good enough.

Back
Top Bottom