Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Coronavirus in the UK - news, lockdown and discussion

apparently you can't get hand sanitiser in dalston for love nor money. which is peculiar seeing as it has not the slightest effect on a virus.

Yeah I hear the shelves are empty. I know anti-bacterial won't do anything but can you get anti-viral? Why would the government recommend something which is useless? Its not bothering about masks and stuff.

Checkout worker at the supermarket today was coughing away into her hands then of course grabbing every item and scanning them through. Nice bonus layer of virus and bacteria all over your goods - lovely.

Sadly with hundreds of people passing them each day they will be among the first to catch this when it gets going, and will no doubt pass it on to plenty.

I had this text out of the blue yesterday

If you've been to Wuhan or Hubei Province in China in the last 14 days (even if you do not have symptoms)
OR to other parts of China, Thailand, Japan, Taiwan, Singapore, Republic of Korea, Malaysia or Italy in the last 14 days and have a cough, high temperature or shortness of breath (even if it's mild) or have been in close contact with someone with confirmed coronavirus
DO NOT go to a GP surgery or hospital. Call NHS 111, stay indoors and self isolate.

The report on Newsnight last night was suitably calming and low key. Started ranting on about mass death epidemic or something. Twats.
You should have heard prof Nial Ferguson on R4 this morning. The numbers are very understated....

grauniad site:

NHS staff have been asked to shave their beards to allow masks to fit more securely in a bid to limit the spread of coronavirus, according to the Sun.

Bosses at Southampton University NHS Trust sent a mass email to tackle a “known problem” with ill-fitting masks on hairy faces.

Medical director, Derek Sandeman, attached an image with 36 different kinds of facial hair showing if they are acceptable or not based on whether they fit inside a mask.

Small, pencil-type moustaches such as the “Zorro” and “Painter’s Brush” are allowed, but fuller growths including “mutton chops” and the “chin curtain” are out, according to the image.

However, staff with beards for religious or cultural reasons are exempt.
In the past we'd have been able to blame forced beard removal on the EU. :(

Checkout worker at the supermarket today was coughing away into her hands then of course grabbing every item and scanning them through. Nice bonus layer of virus and bacteria all over your goods - lovely.

Sadly with hundreds of people passing them each day they will be among the first to catch this when it gets going, and will no doubt pass it on to plenty.
Time to start using the scab tills?

Do you come from the North? Was it delivered by a pop man? A sugar heavy version of the milk man. I was amazed when I first heard about the concept, the Northerner I was speaking to at the time as equally amazed it wasn't a thing down South.
it was a thing in Devon. I still clearly remember the corona lorry coming down my street.

yeh. many people who use the scab tills may pass on all manner of things. plus you don't know how your goods have been stored before being shelved.

yeh. many people who use the scab tills may pass on all manner of things. plus you don't know how your goods have been stored before being shelved.

Yes, I wasn’t suggesting unmanned tills are safe. Just being in the supermarket is likely going to be hazardous in the next few months.

Much as I’ve always sneered a little at preppers with their tin roofed shelters with filtered air supplies and 6 months worth of army rations buried in the garden, at times like these they might start to look somewhat prescient.

Have we had the slightly blurry, telephoto lens tabloid news pic of body bags being loaded/moved by ARMY !!! trucks to London/B'ham yet?

I had this text out of the blue yesterday

If you've been to Wuhan or Hubei Province in China in the last 14 days (even if you do not have symptoms)
OR to other parts of China, Thailand, Japan, Taiwan, Singapore, Republic of Korea, Malaysia or Italy in the last 14 days and have a cough, high temperature or shortness of breath (even if it's mild) or have been in close contact with someone with confirmed coronavirus
DO NOT go to a GP surgery or hospital. Call NHS 111, stay indoors and self isolate.

Who sent you that? (haven't read whole thread.)

I had a Chinese takeaway on Sunday. I have developed a cold, cough, slight shortness of breath.

Should I panic or go to the pub as I was planning to later? (Have forsaken the gym, it's also raining.)

Alcohol based ones will kill both bacteria and viruses probably including coronavirus.

Needs to be above 60% alcohol apparently. the little cuticura ones are 57.6% Ethanol. Look for surgical ones, the ones i have from my kitchen are 80%.

But as Mr. Model says. you'll be hard pushed to find any at this point.

Who sent you that? (haven't read whole thread.)

I had a Chinese takeaway on Sunday. I have developed a cold, cough, slight shortness of breath.

Should I panic or go to the pub as I was planning to later? (Have forsaken the gym, it's also raining.)
Isn't always the advice to keep up your fluid intake when suffering from a head cold? So....pub it is, I guess? :D

Back
Top Bottom