Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Coronavirus in the UK - news, lockdown and discussion

I suspect this might be a generational thing as well as a geographical thing. But growing up in the 80's / 90's the pop man was still a thing in Lancashire I'm led to believe. Very much less so in Oxfordshire.

In the 80's in south Wales too.

I suspect this might be a generational thing as well as a geographical thing. But growing up in the 80's / 90's the pop man was still a thing in Lancashire I'm led to believe. Very much less so in Oxfordshire.
v.much late 60's/early-mid 1970s for me.

Flu is a far greater risk. You would be extraordinarily unlucky to catch this.

Fuck. I've 3 "extremely rare" autoimmume diseases...
When I was sick with the last one pre diagnosis, one dr said "you'd be extremely unlucky to develop another one"... and yet.... sigh.
If I had the equivalent measure of good luck I'd have won the lottery by now.....twice.

FFP3 masks and swimming goggles are being deployed.

A young friend of mine says Sheff UNi, is thinking of confining returning Chinese students to residences for two weeks, though i really think this is rumour.

Not just a rumour but complete bollocks. About as likely as UCEA suddenly deciding to give us a 10% pay rise, for much the same reasons.

We are however being provided with hand sanitiser and being asked to use it as often as possible.

A young friend of mine says Sheff UNi, is thinking of confining returning Chinese students to residences for two weeks, though i really think this is rumour.
Possibly hyperbole based on this: The UK Government is now advising anyone who has recently returned from Wuhan to ‘self-isolate’ for 14 days after entering the UK.

sadly some cases of Chinese here getting shouted at, funny looks, etc.

A local town has abruptly cancelled the Chinese Gala Show that we had put together with our (mostly Wuhan) students and various local/community groups - The first performance last week went-off really well and the few people who had been in Wuhan most recently voluntarily stayed out of it. :(

As a rule.

It was Alpine vans round here in the 70s. Bright, lurid liquids like in a mad scientist’s lab.
Aha, yes. I was thinking "Alpen" but that's breakfast cereal. Yes, we had Alpine lorries visiting for a short time in the mid/late 1970's. It can't have been all that profitable, because it didn't last long. Ooh! Ice-cream vans too!

Do you come from the North? Was it delivered by a pop man? A sugar heavy version of the milk man. I was amazed when I first heard about the concept, the Northerner I was speaking to at the time as equally amazed it wasn't a thing down South.

We certainly had the Corona man & van come round in Essex when I was growing up in the 70's, also the Mr Kipling man too.

On the TV news they showed 4 of those Horseman of the apocalypse coaches turning-up.
Yep, and none of the drivers had any visible anti-viral protection...unlike the service personnel sat up front who were in what looked like pretty full bio-hazard kit.
Very brave/selfless or foolhardy/conned?

Yep, and none of the drivers had any visible anti-viral protection...unlike the service personnel sat up front who were in what looked like pretty full bio-hazard kit.

You wouldn't catch me doing it!

In fact I have a Chinese take-away as a client, I was going to pop in & see them today, until the news of these 2 cases broke, which reminded they had only flown in following their annual holiday in China on Tuesday, it wasn't urgent, so they can wait another week or so!

Its a nice visual example of the way protection measures tend to veer between excessive and too little. I sort of wish I was surprised to see the two extremes sitting side by side, but I'm not.

Anyway I'd do the job. Except I cant drive, so the journey would probably have a much higher mortality rate than the disease. And I'd probably get in trouble for making jokes over the PA about dropping the passengers off at a Brexit party.

Dunno about Sharona...every time I hear about this bug I'm cast back to being about 7 years of age and gleefully glugging down the contents of these dimple-necked bottles.
My fave was the red (Cherryade) on the right.

View attachment 197202
49474880966_3e272f4e15_o.jpg

Has Coronavirus hit Battersea? This is getting close to home. I have already started stockpiling.

We have a thread for Corona virus.

This is a thread for discussion of door to door soft drink deliveries by region.

Back
Top Bottom