Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Coronavirus in the UK - news, lockdown and discussion

Must admit, 10 days ago I'd have thought a figure pushing up to 400 would have pushed government into school closures and the rest.

Haven't they said that as of today they are testing everyone attending / in hospital with a respiratory problem? How long does it take for the test results to come in? Because it seems to me this will be the crunch moment - either an enormous surge or a sigh of relief.

Are we testing fewer people because fewer people are presenting/requesting? Or because fewer people can say 'yes I have definitely had contact that conforms with your criteria for testing'?

How many in London yesterday? I have it in my head it was 60 but that might have been from days ago.

Haven't they said that as of today they are testing everyone attending / in hospital with a respiratory problem? How long does it take for the test results to come in? Because it seems to me this will be the crunch moment - either an enormous surge or a sigh of relief.

It was apparently 48 to 36 hours. Maybe less now if more hospitals are doing the tests onsite now.

Callie ?

Sensible discussion and debate with differing POV is what the forum is about isn't it? Time, as always will tell, with the outcome and my take is that we will have a new strain of influenza in the human population ie it will become endemic.

If it becomes endemic and seasonal, that doesnt mean it is also going to be incorrectly rebranded as influenza. It is not influenza.

re school closures i think zoe williams has it spot on

It is right, both on the subject of carers and more generally about the general unsustainability of so much of how modern society is set up (even in normal times leading to people's lives being fucked when just some small thing becomes impossible), the pointlessness of GDP as the primary measure of social health, and so on.

Will this change perceptions long term though? Tbh I don't think it will. In six months' time we'll just have all the same bullshit. Any attempt to look at the social conditions will be shunned in the media as "politicising a tragedy".

I can imagine various different outcomes, but I have absolutely no sense of which ones will be more likely. There are some interesting possibilities along the lines of demanding something better in exchange for our sacrifices, very unlike what happened with austerity. A big reason that might not happen is people just ending up weary and desperate for a sense of normality. But depending on whats collapsed, that might not be possible anyway, at which point perhaps other priorities could rise up.

It is scary to think that I am 42 and have never faced the slightest real national crisis, I mean, nothing that has in any meaningful way disrupted day-to-day life en-masse. Let alone potentially (let's face it, probably) affecting everyone. For weeks.

I don't think we're well set up to deal with this in any way, logistical or psychological.

I'm quite taken with an idea I read on Twitter where someone was saying we cannot hope for anything like real productivity working from home, far better, where possible, for people to do just what it takes to keep things moving for just a few hours a day, a few days a week, and concentrate on looking after our mental and physical needs and our families. Obviously, that's not going to be an option for every worker, but when discussing with my manager (seeing as our job is not critical to anything) I want to suggest we take this approach and not expect 7 hours a day 5 days a week from anyone if it comes to lockdown, which I think she'll be open to.

I'm really going
It is scary to think that I am 42 and have never faced the slightest real national crisis, I mean, nothing that has in any meaningful way disrupted day-to-day life en-masse. Let alone potentially (let's face it, probably) affecting everyone. For weeks.

I don't think we're well set up to deal with this in any way, logistical or psychological.

I'm quite taken with an idea I read on Twitter where someone was saying we cannot hope for anything like real productivity working from home, far better, where possible, for people to do just what it takes to keep things moving for just a few hours a day, a few days a week, and concentrate on looking after our mental and physical needs and our families. Obviously, that's not going to be an option for every worker, but when discussing with my manager (seeing as our job is not critical to anything) I want to suggest we take this approach and not expect 7 hours a day 5 days a week from anyone if it comes to lockdown, which I think she'll be open to.

I didn't have much luck with that with my line manager in our meeting a few minutes ago. :rolleyes: she accused me of panicking when I said we should be facilitating WFH as much as possible asap rather than wait til italageddon or the govt lockdown the whole city, but is in a panic herself that someone might get one over her by not being as productive as usual.

Pessimistic view of what might happen:

The 27 EU leaders are currently taking part in a teleconference summit on the coronavirus outbreak. Their conclusion is that all countries across the EU should go into lockdown to stop the spread of the virus. The UK, having just left the EU and being run by fucking idiots, decides that this needn't apply in this country, and we blunder on regardless. The virus continues to spread in the UK while it slows down in the EU. By the time we realise the EU were right, it's too late. Brexit turns out to be a bigger fuck up than we'd initially feared.

Doom-mongering, right? It could never pan out like this...

:facepalm:

She sounds a right charmer. Cough all over her at every opportunity.

I mean that's not what she said of course. Something about people not having their usual routine blah blah. I'm more annoyed because having people WFH as much as possible over the next couple of months is just the socially responsible thing to do. If I have to come to work I want to share the tube with as few people as possible.

I mean that's not what she said of course. Something about people not having their usual routine blah blah. I'm more annoyed because having people WFH as much as possible over the next couple of months is just the socially responsible thing to do. If I have to come to work I want to share the tube with as few people as possible.
She sounds quite unreasonable though, although she might be getting pressure from above. I'm the complete opposite - I tell the team if they need to work from home (not just at the moment) for whatever reason to just do it. We normally do 2/3 days a week at home as a rule anyway, but often 5 where need be.

She sounds quite unreasonable though, although she might be getting pressure from above.

Or the pressure could be self-generated, based on what they think expectations are, what they think they are supposed to promote in their role, or just their own personal attitude to work and illness. Large, dramatic shocks are often required to dislodge their thinking from the stale rails of normality.

The local story here is that the owner of Nottingham Forest has a confirmed case of covid-19, and met with the entire team late last week.

So there goes promotion for yet another season.

I wonder at what stage we just start ourselves avoiding groups of people? Even if the instruction has not yet come down from on high. It isn't just that I would rather not get the virus, more significantly I wouldn't like to be the one that infected others during an incubation period. I usually go to my camera club on a Wednesday, there are between 35 and 45 people there usually, many of them retired, if I don't have it I could catch it, if I do have it I could infect others.

Back
Top Bottom