Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Coronavirus in the UK - news, lockdown and discussion

The use of the word peak seems meaningless to me... Im taking it to mean within two weeks they'll press the lockdown button

I think that's about right. As it starts going up measures will start to try and flatten the curve and push it into the future. My understanding is that's the reason for not doing the lockdown now but waiting.

If they close the schools I can't go to the one I clean for money and clean it (for money). Coronavirus dipping my pockets now.

Last edited:
Given the way things have gone so far...at a rate of 30% increase daily and fatalities at the current 1.5%, by the end of March we're looking at over 78,000 cases and over 1100 deaths. Obviously a lot might alter those numbers but it's not the blah blah jokey joke it was a month ago, is it

In a move similar to that announced in Italy, UK taxpayer-owned bank RBS will allow people affected by the coronavirus outbreak to defer mortgage and loan repayments for up to three months.

The bank, which runs the RBS, NatWest, and Ulster Bank brands, also said savers could close fixed-term savings accounts early with no charge.

This is designed to allow people to access cash if they need it as the impact of the virus is felt.

from BBC live updates page at 12:50 https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/world-asia-51811969

Not sure where else to put this, but i am getting very worried, not just about contracting Covid, but what i can see is a lack of preparation for disabled and sick people, all slots for tesco delivery are booked next couple of days, the help lines are jammed and long wating times, already i have carers who are saying they wont be working for me much longer, this is before it gets severe, also wondering what happens if ISP's are affected, the internet is essentail for DASP.

just looked online, hardly any pasta at tescos

I wonder, especially as we approach the two week Easter holidays, if - should things escalate further - we'll see a default "self-managed" lock down of schools preempting any Government announcement.

1) I suspect we'll see significant numbers of parents keeping their children home. I know of one example where after a case was diagnosed in a nearby school dozens of (extra) children were absent from school the following day with unspecified minor illnesses.

2) I know the Government and School leaders have talked of how to run schools if a % of staff are off...but the reality is the moment any gets it the rest of the school will be self-isolating anyway.

Honestly the numbers now will seem like a puddle compared to the torrents later.

Yes, I am trying to get that across to the team.

The spread here is roughly half the Italian rate, meaning if we follow their tactics, we would still not be locked down (quite) by end of month. That’s a lot of assuming, though, and I expect us to be sunk on ticket sales anyway (they tend to come through about now).

Feel bad for the guys who have been working really hard on it. :(

Not to turn the thread into a maths discussion but here are the figures for Italy on a daily basis (this is the time being used on which the exponential growth calculation would be based) since the first death. It might be me but I do not see except for the first 4 days any pattern of exponential growth ie the growth is not increasing at a constant rate whatever that might be (I am aware it does not have to be double but initially here it was) - for the first 4 days it was doubling so exponential - but then the total went up by 4/8 followed by 5/12, 5/17, 2/11 etc.....so considering this data on a daily basis I cannot see how the growth is exponential but then as someone said maths was a long time ago and i have forgotten most of it. Given this is a medical outbreak though it would be very odd if it was exponential growth.

Date
21​
22​
23​
24​
25​
26​
27​
28​
29​
1​
2​
3​
4​
5​
6​
7​
8​
9​
Nos of deaths
1​
1​
2​
4​
4​
5​
5​
4​
8​
11​
11​
27​
22​
47​
49​
36​
133​
97​
Total
1​
2​
4​
8​
12​
17​
22​
26​
34​
45​
56​
83​
105​
152​
201​
237​
370​
467​
Given the relatively small numbers involved, there's going to be a fair bit of variation in the daily number while still fitting the overall pattern. Taking groups of four days, you have:

8 ... 18 ... 57 ... 154 ... then 231 for just first two days of last period, being conservative, double that to make 462

The underlying pattern there would appear to be about a tripling of deaths every four days, so yes, exponential growth.

Number of cases

As of 9am on 10 March 2020, 26,261 people have been tested in the UK, of which 25,888 were confirmed negative and 373 were confirmed as positive. Six patients who tested positive for COVID-19 have died.

Given the way things have gone so far...at a rate of 30% increase daily and fatalities at the current 1.5%, by the end of March we're looking at over 78,000 cases and over 1100 deaths. Obviously a lot might alter those numbers but it's not the blah blah jokey joke it was a month ago, is it

But, we are not seeing a 30% increase daily, yesterday it went from 273 to 319 cases, today it went from 319 to 373 - both around the 17%.

Back
Top Bottom