Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Coronavirus in the UK - news, lockdown and discussion

Yeah it’s weird. Just found the ad and it promises full ppe & sickness benefit as well. No mention of any skills required.

Not in flats. At least not here. We have the black and green boxes but don't have to use the caddies for kitchen waste. (Thank fuck.)
OK, seeing as people can't stop posting about their personal recycling conditions from wherever they are in the country, I'm going to move the posts to that other thread. This is an important and useful thread, so let's keep in on topic, please.

*Update - all the recycling posts I found have been moved here:

I don't like 'policing' content particularly, but it was one hell of a derail!

Last edited:
[/QUOTE]
Isn't "helpdesk" an IT thing? I've not seen NHS reception jobs advertised as helpdesk roles before.

Yes, definitely IT support role. Worked on loads of 'helpdesks' for other industries (sadly not at £37k) and this (sort of money) is definitely IT..

I’d add that I believe the courts would be extremely unwanted
Gove caught out lying again.

View attachment 204269

Yeah my mum said that a couple of days ago one of the callers to R4's any answers was an epidemiologist who pointed out that actually the idea that the UK couldn't have enough tests, and couldn't rapidly step up production was a load of bollocks. Didn't raise it at the time because 'my mum heard on any answers' is probably the worst reference you can give... Actually I would have probably dug it out, but that would have involved listening to a full episode (may the lord preserve us).

I’d add that I believe the courts would be extremely unwanted

Yeah my mum said that a couple of days ago one of the callers to R4's any answers was an epidemiologist who pointed out that actually the idea that the UK couldn't have enough tests, and couldn't rapidly step up production was a load of bollocks. Didn't raise it at the time because 'my mum heard on any answers' is probably the worst reference you can give... Actually I would have probably dug it out, but that would have involved listening to a full episode (may the lord preserve us).
Any Answers can be pretty hilarious sometimes. Indistinguishable from satire.

I would not trust it as a source of any sort of information whatsoever, though.

Julian Peto was the guy on any answers, professor at LSHTM, specifically a statistician and cancer epidemiologist... He was arguing that many labs could use their PCR machines (currently used for a vast array of purposes), enough to test everyone in Britain once/week. So I suppose a kind of lab crowd-sourcing.

About 28:50

Here we go. A solution! How we can save lives whilst preventing 6 months of lockdown. We'll be crying out for it.

And it's being proposed by academics, too. Definitely not by the Government. No.

The location-tracking tech would enable a week's worth of manual detective work to be done in an instant, they say.

But the academics say no-one should be forced to enrol - at least initially.

UK health chiefs have confirmed they are exploring the idea.

Last edited:
Here we go. A solution! How we can save lives whilst preventing 6 months of lockdown. We'll be crying out for it.

And it's being proposed by academics, too. Definitely not by the Government. No.

Yeah honestly I'd rather sit at home for the forseeable. It was bad enough when one of my colleagues turned on google tracking on my phone for a laugh- I freaked out when I received a "here is where you have been this month" report

It was bad enough when one of my colleagues turned on google tracking on my phone for a laugh- I freaked out when I received a "here is where you have been this month" report
That doesn't sound very funny :(

(My wow/wtf response was about what your colleague did, not about you preferring to stay home, btw. I'd rather stay home, too.)

Last edited:
Christ. The words "even Trump" are trending on my twitter this morning because The President has just publicly criticised the UK's early strategy on this.

“If you remember they were looking at that in the UK and all of a sudden they went hard the other way because they started seeing things that weren’t good. They put themselves in a little bit of a problem..well you know it’s a concept, it’s a concept- if you don’t mind death.."

Last edited:
View attachment 204296

What?

"The result showed that 59% of the 1.5 million people who participated and tested positive, noticed a loss of smell and taste."

Surely just 1.5 million who participated. If they tested positive too, then testing is vastly under-reported.

:confused:
There's a report on that study on the BBC website ATM, based on 400,000 people with symptoms, only a small number had positive tests.

Back
Top Bottom