Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Coronavirus in the UK - news, lockdown and discussion

The latest risk assessment for Delta was published yesterday. Its just a single page summary and I wont try to quote most of it, just the Overall assessment at the bottom:

Delta is predominant in the UK and there is very rapid global spread. All analyses continue to support increased transmissibility and reduced vaccine effectiveness against symptomatic infection. Whilst risk of hospitalisation appears increased, early data on hospitalised patients does not show indicators of increased severity once in hospital and further analyses are required to resolve this. The priority investigations are to improve understanding of asymptomatic transmission in the vaccinated, to monitor for new mutations occurring on Delta, and continued investigation of the viral kinetics and clinical course of disease.

On this occasional I was referring to chipping away at a problem in a sincere way, ie via actually getting some people who had been resisting vaccination to get jabbed.

My brain isnt working very well today, had a migraine earlier in the week, so I dont know if my choice of language or ability to interpret other peoples posts is impaired at the moment.

On this occasional I was referring to chipping away at a problem in a sincere way, ie via actually getting some people who had been resisting vaccination to get jabbed.

My brain isnt working very well today, had a migraine earlier in the week, so I dont know if my choice of language or ability to interpret other peoples posts is impaired at the moment.
sorry was a v bad joke referring to micro chipping. not the right thread for jokes, i admit. sorry.

Not sure where to put this, but my workplace, a public sector org, has now decided that long covid = normal sickness so they’re all going down to half pay from August. So treated as any other illness

I am only the payroll person so don’t know the whys and wherefore of each case but it’s highly likely they contracted COVID-19 doing their frontline public-facing key worker job with inadequate PPE.

doesn’t seem a fair way to treat people in my view :(

Last edited:
Not sure where to put this, but my workplace, a public sector org, has now decided that long covid = normal sickness so they’re all going down to half pay from August. So treated as any other ill

I am only the payroll person so don’t know the whys and wherefore of each case but it’s highly likely they contracted COVID-19 doing their frontline public-facing key worker job with inadequate PPE.

doesn’t seem a fair way to treat people in my view :(
I hope all their people leave, and that they have a nightmare time trying to find replacements.

Ultimately, the only thing that is going to stop employers behaving like cunts is the realisation that doing so is a major impediment to recruitment. I would love to see us move on from this since-the-80s attitude of "there's plenty of unemployed people out there who'd like your job" bullshit, which enables so much of this oppressive nastiness.

On the story of them changing the app sensitivity, the BBC has:

One possible solution could be to change the sensitivity of the app, so it would tell people to self-isolate only after closer and more prolonged contact.
But sources at the app developers told the BBC they have not yet been asked to do this, although they are planning a change from 16 August when people would be able to record that they were fully vaccinated to turn off the self-isolation countdown timer.

If the delta variant is more transmissible the app’s sensitivity should be adjusted in the opposite direction!

But again I’m wondering what the point is if only 10% of people alerted are able to isolate anyway.
Ah, but you're making the fundamental error of assuming that the purpose of the app is for anything other than providing some kind of figleaf for a corrupt, backsliding, lying, deceitful government that isn't interested in anything except the contents of its pockets.

I think I said I would post some vaccine charts but I'm not going to have time for that today, so I'll just highlight this story instead. I'm not really surprised since the initial uptake in younger people was not really a good indication of how that picture would end up looking as a whole.

Covid-19 vaccine uptake in England has almost halved over the past fortnight, with health experts blaming mixed government messaging about normality returning on 19 July.

Analysis from the Guardian found that take-up had particularly slowed among people under the age of 30 in the last three weeks after an initial surge of enthusiasm that the government likened to a “Glastonbury-style rush”.

Indie SAGE had that story in their video today which is what drew my attention to it.

It's hardly surprising that take up has slowed among people under the age of 30, we always knew take up would be lower as they worked down the age groups.

Those that wanted it came forward early, those that don't, haven't since.

Its probably one of the reasons theyve briefed on 'hybrid immunity' rather than trying to do it with vaccines alone. That and not offering vaccines to people under 18.

Its probably one of the reasons theyve briefed on 'hybrid immunity' rather than trying to do it with vaccines alone. That and not offering vaccines to people under 18.

Unless I've missed something, isn't the jury (JCVI) still out on that?

If the delta variant is more transmissible the app’s sensitivity should be adjusted in the opposite direction!

But again I’m wondering what the point is if only 10% of people alerted are able to isolate anyway.

Yeah, but it's due to the fact they know if they loosen restrictions infections will massively surge, and businesses will struggle with all the isolating workers connected to those infections. Also why some NHS executives are arguing that NHS staff should be spared isolation if a contact of a positive case after 19th July. Which is totally irresponsible, but also in the logic of the completely bonkers plan also makes some kind of sense.

Just thinking out loud really, know you know this. The whole thing is fucked up. In the areas I've heard about NHS staffing is really struggling now, I can't imagine what it's going to be like in a few weeks.

Unless I've missed something, isn't the jury (JCVI) still out on that?

yeah I'm talking about in time for this wave. I've no idea what they are planning for later, although they are clearly weary about whether thr risk-reward balance will stack up in favour of vaccination for children. Things in future could change that equation that I cannot account for at this time.

Shit load of data released by the ONS, most of it excellent news. Including this tit bit;

Deaths in England and Wales fall below five-year average​

6 July 2021​

The number of deaths from all causes in England and Wales in the week ending 25 June 2021 was 8,690; 7.6% below the five-year average for the corresponding week.

There were 99 deaths involving coronavirus (COVID-19) registered in England and Wales in the week ending 25 June; three deaths fewer than the previous week. Deaths involving COVID-19 accounted for around 1 in 91, or 1.1%, of all deaths.

Yeah, but it's due to the fact they know if they loosen restrictions infections will massively surge, and businesses will struggle with all the isolating workers connected to those infections. Also why some NHS executives are arguing that NHS staff should be spared isolation if a contact of a positive case after 19th July. Which is totally irresponsible, but also in the logic of the completely bonkers plan also makes some kind of sense.
The covidiots were arguing against NHS staff self-isolating, over a 'little flu', right from the start of all this.

It's like the lunatics have taken the asylum.

A big chunk of the lunacy is just how the establishment likes to do things normally, couldnt with this virus, but then figured they can again because of vaccinations.

They would like the waves of infection to be smaller as a result of vaccination, and without this the absurdities become more obvious to everyone. But so long as the hospital numbers dont go beyond a certain point, they will carry on regardless. And they will certainly be aiming to reduce disruption over time, one way or another - either by changing rules and level of testing/surveillance or by actually ending up with less potential for explosive waves in future.

Thi was always going to be part of the landscape when transitioning away from the aute phase of a pandemic. I'd rather have seen it done without a big wave of infections. And I never know how long the gains will hold due to mutation uncertainties, ie I wont know for sure if we have really escaped the acute pandemic phase properly until quite a lot of time passes. But for now at least the march towards something closer to the old normal remains in progress, its just a bit ugly.

Last edited:
yeah I'm talking about in time for this wave. I've no idea what they are planning for later, although they are clearly weary about whether the risk-reward balance will stack up in favour of vaccination for children. Things in future could change that equation that I cannot account for at this time.

Yeah, the 'risk-reward balance' question has clearly become more complex, what with AZ already ruled out, and now the rare cases of the inflammation of the heart associated with both the Pfzier and Moderna vaccines.

Yeah, the 'risk-reward balance' question has clearly become more complex, what with AZ already ruled out, and now the rare cases of the inflammation of the heart associated with both the Pfzier and Moderna vaccines.

And since the number of children who die from Covid is low, it doesnt take much vaccine death to really make things look bad and run the risk of an understandable backlash if the vaccine kills more children than it saves.

A big chunk of the lunacy is just how the establishment likes to do things normally, couldnt with this virus, but then fiure they can again because of vaccinations.

Yeah, I do feel a bit dirty having worked on the vaccination program lots in the last months. Feels like it's now given them a shield to do what they're now going to do. (I know more complicated and not quite like that, but does grate on my nerves when they go on about it.)

Shit load of data released by the ONS, most of it excellent news. Including this tit bit;

Deaths in England and Wales fall below five-year average​

6 July 2021​

The number of deaths from all causes in England and Wales in the week ending 25 June 2021 was 8,690; 7.6% below the five-year average for the corresponding week.

There were 99 deaths involving coronavirus (COVID-19) registered in England and Wales in the week ending 25 June; three deaths fewer than the previous week. Deaths involving COVID-19 accounted for around 1 in 91, or 1.1%, of all deaths.
When exponentially rising numbers are what you're worried about, I'm not sure how numbers from more than two weeks ago can present excellent news.

All my youngish colleagues (20s) are desperate to get vaccinated.

Can they not get appointments now? :confused:

Our GP hubs have plenty of appointments & vaccines available, but the uptake by those 18-29 has petered out at 60%, so they are throwing their doors open for 'walk-in' sessions, no appointment required, in the hope to increase take-up.

All my youngish colleagues (20s) are desperate to get vaccinated.
I wonder how many young adults are quietly seething at the way in which they are going to be expected to stand on the front lines and face the inevitable tsunami, while finding it very difficult to get a vaccine?

If I were the hot-headed young adult I was in my 20s, that might just piss me off enough to make me want to throw things. In the company of many others, also throwing things.

Back
Top Bottom