Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Coronavirus in the UK - news, lockdown and discussion

But not make face coverings and social distancing optional - we need those more than ever now
Yep, this, absolutely. You could imagine the government going for some substantial measure of opening up in the name of some kind of 'balance'. I almost certainly wouldn't have agreed with doing that before everyone is even vaccinated, but it would have been a genuine debating point. But actively removing the requirement for masks and social distancing means it really is a let it rip policy. Nothing else. The requirement to mask up has just about no downside, aside from loon campaigns and for most sectors, social distancing can be easily accommodated. The government are genuinely trying to speed up the spread of a still deadly disease.

They are hoping that some of what we know could happen doesnt happen and that things peak sooner/at a lower level than some of the possibilities they've floated in recent days. In which case they'll consider it a big victory and a vindication of the gamble they have taken.

I've still got no idea whether they will get away with the current approach without things busting past the limits they think are tolerable for hospitals etc.

Has Scotland shown some signs of peaking? I hate trying to detect peaks quickly using daily case data. Whatever happens there will offer some clues.
Maybe. Bit early to tell

Screenshot_20210707-235704~2.png
Screenshot_20210707-235607~2.png
From Scotland Coronavirus Tracker

I just need to ask this because I'm feeling pretty concerned with this drastic move to dropping all restrictions. I was feeling OK but with potentially huge amounts of infection around and of the delta variant I'm kinda bricking it again.

My situation is I work in a shop, I was double jabbed with AZ 2 months ago, I wear a surgical mask all day, I'm in the second category of vulnerability, the shop is extremely well ventilated due to the door being open all day and I'm about to go into a situation where more and more people are going to stop wearing masks in the shop after the 19th.

For the sake of my sanity, and I mean that literally at this point, what are my risks of:

1. Catching it
2. Getting symptomatically ill from catching it. I'm thankfully not concerned about being hospitalised with it.
3. Getting long covid. That's my biggest concern as a dear friend of mine has had ME getting on for 10 years and it completely and utterly derailed their life.

I appreciate there are unknowns in this but I'd just like some evidence of these risks, how mild or severe they are and to what extent and how I need to protect myself further or not because I'm just fucking exhausted with it all. I'm exhausted with people not taking it seriously, exhausted with shit heads not wearing masks and exhausted with trying to work all this stuff out and searching for useful information. So if someone who has access to useful information about this then could they please share it with me? Thanks.
I really hear you. I'm fucking exhausted with being afraid. 18 months of being in the firing line is wearing me down now.

Maybe. Bit early to tell

From Scotland Coronavirus Tracker
Thanks for the info and your thoughts on that.

I see the language Sturgeon has gone for currently, as reported by the BBC involves 'could' and 'stabilising'.

Ms Sturgeon said case numbers were "much higher than we want them to be", but said it could still be the case that the recent increase was stabilising.

And stuff like this:

She said: "We are literally monitoring the data on a daily basis right now, as we head towards the review point next week where we will be able to say what our plans are for 19 July.

"We are looking at this very carefully. My biggest concern right now is that even though we are seeing a weakening of the link between cases and hospitalisations, if we have a high number of cases even a lower proportion of those cases ending up in hospital can put pressure on our NHS."

Its so sad that its so easy to find stories about elements of Scotlands NHS being under such bad pressure right now.

Letter to the Lancet

DEFINE_ME
As the third wave of the pandemic takes hold across England, the UK Government plans to further re-open the nation. Implicit in this decision is the acceptance that infections will surge, but that this does not matter because vaccines have “broken the link between infection and mortality”.1 On July 19, 2021—branded as Freedom Day—almost all restrictions are set to end. We believe this decision is dangerous and premature.
An end to the pandemic through population immunity requires enough of the population to be immune to prevent exponential growth of SARS-CoV-2. Population immunity is unlikely to be achieved without much higher levels of vaccination than can be reasonably expected by July 19, 2021. Proportionate mitigations will be needed to avoid hundreds of thousands of new infections, until many more are vaccinated.
Nevertheless, the UK Government’s intention to ease restrictions from July 19, 2021, means that immunity will be achieved by vaccination for some people but by natural infection for others (predominantly the young). The UK Health Secretary has stated that daily cases could reach 100 000 per day over the summer months of 2021.2 The link between infection and death might have been weakened, but it has not been broken, and infection can still cause substantial morbidity in both acute and long-term illness. We have previously pointed to the dangers of relying on immunity by natural infection,3 and we have five main concerns with the UK Government’s plan to lift all restrictions at this stage of the pandemic.
First, unmitigated transmission will disproportionately affect unvaccinated children and young people who have already suffered greatly. Official UK Government data show that as of July 4, 2021, 51% of the total UK population have been fully vaccinated and 68% have been partially vaccinated. Even assuming that approximately 20% of unvaccinated people are protected by previous SARS-CoV-2 infection, this still leaves more than 17 million people with no protection against COVID-19. Given this, and the high transmissibility of the SARS-CoV-2 Delta variant, exponential growth will probably continue until millions more people are infected, leaving hundreds of thousands of people with long-term illness and disability.4 This strategy risks creating a generation left with chronic health problems and disability, the personal and economic impacts of which might be felt for decades to come.
Second, high rates of transmission in schools and in children will lead to significant educational disruption, a problem not addressed by abandoning isolation of exposed children (which is done on the basis of imperfect daily rapid tests).5 The root cause of educational disruption is transmission, not isolation. Strict mitigations in schools alongside measures to keep community transmission low and eventual vaccination of children will ensure children can remain in schools safely.6–8 This is all the more important for clinically and socially vulnerable children. Allowing transmission to continue over the summer will create a reservoir of infection, which will probably accelerate spread when schools and universities re-open in autumn.
Third, preliminary modelling data9 suggest the government’s strategy provides fertile ground for the emergence of vaccine-resistant variants. This would place all at risk, including those already vaccinated, within the UK and globally. While vaccines can be updated, this requires time and resources, leaving many exposed in the interim. Spread of potentially more transmissible escape variants would disproportionately affect the most disadvantaged in our country and other countries with poor access to vaccines.
Fourth, this strategy will have a significant impact on health services and exhausted health-care staff who have not yet recovered from previous infection waves. The link between cases and hospital admissions has not been broken, and rising case numbers will inevitably lead to increased hospital admissions, applying further pressure at a time when millions of people are waiting for medical procedures and routine care.
Fifth, as deprived communities are more exposed to and more at risk from COVID-19, these policies will continue to disproportionately affect the most vulnerable and marginalised, deepening inequalities.
In light of these grave risks, and given that vaccination offers the prospect of quickly reaching the same goal of population immunity without incurring them, we consider any strategy that tolerates high levels of infection to be both unethical and illogical. The UK Government must reconsider its current strategy and take urgent steps to protect the public, including children. We believe the government is embarking on a dangerous and unethical experiment, and we call on it to pause plans to abandon mitigations on July 19, 2021.
Instead, the government should delay complete re-opening until everyone, including adolescents, have been offered vaccination and uptake is high, and until mitigation measures, especially adequate ventilation (through investment in CO2 monitors and air filtration devices) and spacing (eg, by reducing class sizes), are in place in schools. Until then, public health measures must include those called for by WHO (universal mask wearing in indoor spaces, even for those vaccinated), the Scientific Advisory Group for Emergencies (SAGE), the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (ventilation and air filtration), and Independent SAGE (effective border quarantine; test, trace isolate, and support). This will ensure that everyone is protected and make it much less likely that we will need further restrictions or lockdowns in the autumn.

Last edited:
First (very brief) TWIV comment on UK strategy ...
Given later comments I doubt they registered that it included an end to compulsory masks in key areas...

Last edited:
thank you. Was just about to ask if anyone can find the letter.
"This strategy risks creating a generation left with chronic health problems and disability, the personal and economic impacts of which might be felt for decades to come."
What a time to have these particular idiots in charge of the country.
It's a pretty stark warning.

No need to quibble about the exact definition of Long Covid, the risk of a generation left with chronic health problems and disability is good enough for me.

Ive worked in London throughout and it is pretty much normal life now. I know when I go out of London it is strikingly different so attitudes differ.
Photos of mates around Wembley Stadium, looked pretty much like a busy FA cup final day of old

Everything seems to be a recipe for people just deleting the Track & Trace app as well - or everyone's just going to ignore 'pings', certainly by August when they'll go 'Well no one will need to isolate in a few weeks anyway, so forget it'. Has it been in the least bit effective in the last month anyway? Sounds like way too many and too fast case spread for the system to have any mitigating effect now.

This mornings Indie Sage. Very strong, very clear and direct account of why the government's approach is appalling. I've been critical of Whitty on various threads and the guy from the Lancet mentions him and Vallance from 55:35 onwards. The whole thing is worth a (depressing) watch though.

I almost feel there's a pause on this thread. Things are so awful, particularly the spread to young people, impact on the vulnerable and widespread long covid. All that combined with a situations where 'we' have so little chance of impacting on what they are doing. Things like the bedroom tax and the coming of PIP were all battles that were ultimately lost, but there was a chance to fight. This isn't even a battle. Mass infection.

I almost feel there's a pause on this thread. Things are so awful, particularly the spread to young people, impact on the vulnerable and widespread long covid. All that combined with a situations where 'we' have so little chance of impacting on what they are doing. Things like the bedroom tax and the coming of PIP were all battles that were ultimately lost, but there was a chance to fight. This isn't even a battle. Mass infection.
I suppose I dont really see it that way because the chances of u-turns in this pandemic have been much greater than u-turns in other policy areas.

In terms of the number of different people posting on this thread and the volume of posts, it has clearly dropped over time. eg no subsequent lockdown generated quite as much traffic as the original one. Partly because these things were no longer a shocking new event that was unlike anything we had previously seen in out lifetimes.

If the peak comes relatively early then the government may avoid repeating the same set of u-turns this time. Or if the pace of increasing infections slows then the timing will be changed and the government will be hoping to cling on to their current approach. So it is not possible to claim that this period will be sure to be a sort of re-run on the first half of March 2020. It might, it might not.

No ambiguity about what he thinks of the plan.

Unfortunately he felt able to say that bit by prefacing it with comments about how he did not believe the UK approach involved the old 'herd immunity' plan.

He isnt directly quoted on that bit in this article but they do mention it.

Ryan did, however, address reactions to Johnson’s announcement earlier this week amid claims by some that the new policy appeared to be to allow new infections on top of vaccinations so that the country could reach herd immunity, saying he did not believe that was the intention.

But actually he is wrong about that. As I mentioned yesterday, journalists have been briefed that 'hybrid immunity' is part of the plan. And that just means a mix of immunity through vaccination and immunity through infection, so it is just a modified version of the old herd immunity plan, reenabled by vaccine programme successes.

Back
Top Bottom