Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Coronavirus in the UK - news, lockdown and discussion

9 deaths yesterday, 321 on machines, 79 million jabs done. Steady as she goes.

Germany lifts ban on double jabbed from the UK, no quarantine - it's almost as if the summer tourist cash now outweighs smearing Oxford/AZ:

still have to quarantine on the way back though, so my excitement was vey short lived.

“At the overall rate of vaccination that they have, I wouldn't be considering removal of all restrictions ... I don't think that's the way we'll see things unfold in New Zealand,” Hipkins said.

“We are likely to see more incremental change, [rather] than dramatic change where we wake up one morning and say, 'We just go back to the way things were before Covid-19.'

“One of the things that [the] UK Government have been very clear about [is] that there will be a spike in cases, potentially thousands of cases a day; there will be more people dying ... That's not something that we have been willing to accept in New Zealand.”

Comments from the NZ director of health. I agree with all of the above.

Reports from Israel suggest negotiations are underway to transfer around 1 million unused doses of Pfizer to the UK within the next week as their current stock would expire before a second dose could be administered. In return the UK would forward to Israel an equivalent number of doses from their upcoming shipments from Pfizer.
Failing that they would seek an extension of validity from the manufacturer.
Now destined for ROK.

We're already getting pressure to go into the office as of the 19th. Puts me in a shitty position. Because I don't want to go back into the office, frankly I don't believe the government and am not willing to take the risk of long-covid. I'm operating on reduced lung capacity. Which is why I got the vaccine long before most people my age.

Am I within my rights to refuse to go in?

We're already getting pressure to go into the office as of the 19th. Puts me in a shitty position. Because I don't want to go back into the office, frankly I don't believe the government and am not willing to take the risk of long-covid. I'm operating on reduced lung capacity. Which is why I got the vaccine long before most people my age.

Probably not tbh, although chatting to your union would be a starting point. Lots of this stuff is going to depend on the reasonableness of your boss/employer I think.

Absolutely, your work place should make reasonable adjustments for you based on your clinical vulnerability. I'd get onto the union ASAP and if you are not in one join one!

Ryanair announced yesterday that they’d uphold mask policy for all passengers & crew. I suspect all other airlines will do the same.
Think so too. Cabin crew must be a very high risk of infection job and if they were to be testing positive all the time airliines wld be screwed.

I would certainly question this with your employer and make clear your objections and reasons. When Johnson was doing his time to get back to work nonsense last summer as numbers were beginning to soar my partner's employer tried to get everyone back in and she just told them she was asthmatic and really not keen and they were fine with that.

It will depend on the employer in how decent they are but I think in general a blanket refusal to return to work is legally unstable ground.

My employer was already gearing for everyone to be back at work even before yesterday's gubbins. After a year of being really worried that covid sweeping through the factories would essentially shut us down they now think its fine to just go back to normal. I did query it with my manager and just got the standard shrug in response.

It does feel like we're living in some sort of weird parallel world at the moment.

I would certainly question this with your employer and make clear your objections and reasons. When Johnson was doing his time to get back to work nonsense last summer as numbers were beginning to soar my partner's employer tried to get everyone back in and she just told them she was asthmatic and really not keen and they were fine with that.

It will depend on the employer in how decent they are but I think in general a blanket refusal to return to work is legally unstable ground.

My employer was already gearing for everyone to be back at work even before yesterday's gubbins. After a year of being really worried that covid sweeping through the factories would essentially shut us down they now think its fine to just go back to normal. I did query it with my manager and just got the standard shrug in response.

It does feel like we're living in some sort of weird parallel world at the moment.

About half of our employees have worked in the office right through this, despite the guidance of 'work from home where possible'. Which it most definitely is, it's an office. I joined during the pandemic and haven't really met many of my colleagues in person so I can see the value in that but I suspect the big boss likes to look out from his office survey his realm, 70 odd people beavering away.

I'll talk to them. It just looks a bit bad unfortunately im the only one who disobeys. I think they'll agree but my card might be marked thats my worry.

About half of our employees have worked in the office right through this, despite the guidance of 'work from home where possible'. Which it most definitely is, it's an office. I joined during the pandemic and haven't really met many of my colleagues in person so I can see the value in that but I suspect the big boss likes to look out from his office survey his realm, 70 odd people beavering away.

I'll talk to them. It just looks a bit bad unfortunately im the only one who disobeys. I think they'll agree but my card might be marked thats my worry.

I think in the first instance I would approach HR (assuming they have a HR department) and or occupational health. You clearly have pre-existing health conditions which make you more vulnerable and managers who make decisions on promotions , pay rises etc should not necessarily be aware of those conditions. It strikes me as a health gdpr thing but I'm no expert.

I understand your predicament which is even more difficult because you're still new with them. I would hope that your card wouldn't be marked but if it does come to that your health is the most important and it will tell you a lot of the company you are working for.

Sorry if I've missed this and it's already been discussed. Chris Whitty seems to be saying that there will inevitably be a new wave, that it's better to have this in the summer than later in the winter. But if more and more people get vaccinated, and possibly get a booster jab as well, then surely any new wave later on will be substantially lower?

Ugh, can't wait to hear Philip Schofield's views on whether masks should remain on public transport - as if anyone on This Morning uses public transport...

Richard Madeley went full Partridge once again yesterday on this subject.. he's also told a government minister last week on the show going to his villa in France, whatever the guidance :D

Last edited:
Absolutely, your work place should make reasonable adjustments for you based on your clinical vulnerability. I'd get onto the union ASAP and if you are not in one join one!
While it's true that employers have to make reasonable adjustments within the workplace, part of many people's concerns will involve their journey to and from work, which their employer obviously can't control directly.

And if public transport is about to become even more of a free for all in terms of masks etc, there's still a significant problem with expecting people (especially those who are more vulnerable) to go back to work just because the government says it's safe now.

While it's true that employers have to make reasonable adjustments within the workplace, part of many people's concerns will involve their journey to and from work, which their employer obviously can't control directly.

And if public transport is about to become even more of a free for all in terms of masks etc, there's still a significant problem with expecting people (especially those who are more vulnerable) to go back to work just because the government says it's safe now.
My idea of reasonable adjustments according to Petcha is that they are allowed to work from home given reduced lung function (Health and Saftey) plus the numerous amounts of evidence of the benefits for employers and employees when staff that want to work from home are permitted to do so. Petcha I think you should ask for an occupational health referral and start getting the evidence to support your stance.

I'm assuming a lot about your work place so sorry if you do not have HR or occupational health. I still think you should gather clinical and psychological evidence to support you continuing to work from home.

I think the mask wearing or not after the 19th is going to be a really divisive and horrible issue. I really feel for people working on transport and in retail and other places where this will mainly play out.
Maybe they can have maskless carriages on trains, in the same way they had smoking carriages? Might also reduce the number of people sexually assaulted on public transport since I’d imagine there to be quite a strong correlation between the two.

Back
Top Bottom