Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Coronavirus in the UK - news, lockdown and discussion

Regardless of individual circumstances, my point remains that I wont be very impressed if the rush to ditch some things actually ends up making a return to normal less likely to be sustainable.

I for one will return to normal behaviour much more slowly if there are no mask rules. I wont be alone.

I am not, and never have advocated instant normality, I'm a retired nurse, I understand infection (as do you).

When out, I wear a mask, of course I do. I also maintain distance, and sanitise my hands when out and about.

Because of very reduced lung function, it only takes about fifty yards until I am gasping for breath, the mask makes this quite unpleasant. It follows, that I want masks dropped ASAP, when it is safe to do so.

I don't really pay a lot of attention to government diktat, my own measures are much more stringent, but I do look forward to the day when things return to as normal as they will ever.

I don't wear masks just to walk outside, away from other people. There's really need no need, there's negligible risk of infection in that scenario.

Masks are needed when close to others outdoors, and when sharing space indoors. As you probably know.

Re. Masks,
In early April 2020 I joined a group of people who had started making cloth masks, with a lot of sharing info on designs, fit, materials, filtration, user friendliness, and distribution. My reaction to this was really positive, as this could make it possible for me to minimise the risk of the activities I needed to do. (eg in person shopping or negotiating crowded pavements.) It also meant I felt ok about going round to a friend’s mum’s garden and sitting outside for a chat. I welcomed them and viewed them as very beneficial. And (more fool me) looked forward to them catching on.

In short, I took to masks as a means of widening out my range of activities. Never saw them as a restriction or as an imposition.

Weekend before last they had the conference league playoffs here in Bristol, Hartlepool vs Torquay. Drove past a pub near the ground and there were literally hundreds of people jammed into the beer garden and spilling onto the pavement, all squashed together. Reckon that might have seeded a few cases, what are the stats like in monkey hanger land now?

Anyone (elbows?) done any forward projections for number of daily cases and hospitalizations we are possibly going to be on by July 19th?

Anyone (elbows?) done any forward projections for number of daily cases and hospitalizations we are possibly going to be on by July 19th?
I dont generally do such things myself, I just look at what modellers come up with for various scenarios, occasionally look at other peoples attempts on twitter, etc. I'll post someone eleses next time I see one.

Although in theory its not hard to do a crude projection if I plot stuff using a logarithmic scale so that the graph resembles zig-zags rather than curves.

The government knew things would be rather bad by mid July though, its part of the reason why they are repeatedly underlinig their learning to live with covid rhetoric at the moment.

When judging the UK figures as a whole, we'll also need to wait and see what happens to Scotlands data now that their schools have broken up for summer.

And this should offer clues about cases:

Which reminds me to say that optimists on twitter (such as that Oliver person who is prone to describing themselves as a corona centrist) were happier during the period where there was a slight kink in the trajectory as shown in one of those graphs, but more recently they are alarmed again because the trajectory returned to a rather steep one with high R and short doubling time.

Last edited:
And its exactly that sort of case data presented in that fashion (eg using log scale) that has caused me to shout 'emergency, emergency!' a few times in recent weeks. I dont know if I should be trying to raise the alarm in a different way at the moment.

I should also say that I probably wouldnt attempt to do a future hospital projection just yet, since there is a suspicion that the admissions curve is going to bend upwards soon, and I dont want to be misled by it being on a less steep incline until then.

I think I will be paying much attention to mechanical ventilator beds figures this time around, since it may provide more clues about deaths than the broader hospital figures. And so far I've been keen to point out that the ratio of hospitalised to mechanical ventilation patients seems worse this time, so I want to keep an eye on it quite carefully.

Plus these sorts of projections dont offer enough clues about when the virus might start to run low of victims in certain age groups. We can see how bad things will be if all these measures remain on their current trajectories, but that doesnt offer many clues about when, and at what level, the trajectories will start to bend lower, leading to a peak and then decline.

Last edited:
It's really upsetting that there are so many people who won't make a tiny bit of effort, then you've got someone who, as I posted here, from March 2020 did not leave their house for fear of catching Covid. Their situation, their freedom, is seriously impacted by the former group of people, who do go out but complain that people might object to them not wearing a mask to protect themselves and others.

Disabled and chronically ill people, as usual, at the bottom of the pile are the ones whose freedoms are being most curtailed, on top of them receiving even less support than they already did.

I am fucking terrified of catching this thing. My life's already restricted, proper restricted like. Wearing a mask on the rare occasions I do go out is the absolute least of my worries. 😡

Its a phenomenon that is visible on such graphs but its not that impressive and there are actually multiple causes.

Although some of the death reductions are caused by people that would have lived till then having died earlier because of the pandemic, there are other factors. Such as the effects of lockdown and reduced economic activity, equivalent to start of a recession that would be expected to reduce deaths due to factors such as air pollution, and people not going out and indulging in risky behaviour. And the effects of lockdowns and other measures reducing the number of other illnesses at various times.

And certainly the level that deaths fell to after the first wave was not an indicator of their future potential to rise, it didnt stop deaths reaching horrible levels again when the second wave came along.

Although a large number of vulnerable people lost their lives already in this pandemic, I dont think the overall state of the nations health is positively transformed as a result. Especially not with the healthcare backlog that has accumulated so far, and the currently unknown scale and longer term impact of things like long Covid, state of health and care services etc.

Anyway here is an updated graph which shows the period I hadnt filled in on the graph I posted the other day. It shows deaths from all causes per day for England only. Deaths have been especially low again recently, but I expect those figure to bounce back at some point. I dont know exactly what the baseline they've used is based on but it does provide a guide as to how much deaths are expected to change with the seasons in normal, non-pandemic times.

View attachment 276111
Made using data from the weekly PHE surveillance reports (the latest spreadsheet of data from National flu and COVID-19 surveillance reports ).
Number of deaths prevented from "not engaging in risky behaviour" is going to be rather low. Same goes for air pollution given that's more of a long term than a short term factor.

But I'm not by any means suggesting we can't see high numbers of deaths from a new variant of Covid or from any other new virus that comes along. Covid is different from flu because the mortality rate is much higher in older ages and people with comorbidities.

I also agree that long term the pandemic has been bad for life expectancy because of the negative economic effects, long Covid and delayed treatments.

On the plus side the current vaccines work very well at preventing serious illness from the current variants, so I do think it's worth giving this unlocking thing a shot. We can always lock down again if variant Zeta comes along.

For anyone who is not comfortable with unlocking, they can at least take their own personal precautions. (E.g. order groceries online, limit social contact, avoid crowded places).

For younger people who have never been at risk and have given up their freedom it's a chance for them to have a life again. Thinking particularly of those who are single, or those who have had weddings postponed multiple times.

Number of deaths prevented from "not engaging in risky behaviour" is going to be rather low. Same goes for air pollution given that's more of a long term than a short term factor.

Risky behaviour was shorthand for all manner of things that happen to people during periods of high economic activity.

A lot of deaths of different sorts were prevented in 2020. Pollution kills asthmatics and people with various other conditions in the short term, it triggers acute illness from conditions they already have. the effects of pollution are not simply a matter of longer term health. Indeed they are one of the factors that causes some spikes in death during certain summer weather conditions.

And more generally, I had too long an argument with someone else last night to want to have another one today, but I very much disagree with the bulk of your current pandemic stance that you have been expressing recently. And for now never mind future variants, we have a heavy battle on our hands right now with the Delta variant.

And more generally, I had too long an argument with someone else last night to want to have another one today, but I very much disagree with the bulk of your current pandemic stance that you have been expressing recently. And for now never mind future variants, we have a heavy battle on our hands right now with the Delta variant.

And sorry if thats a bit strong. Its a difficult moment right now because there is the very awkward juxtaposition of a rapidly declining situation, combined with increased desires from some quarters to advocate a return to normality for many. These two things rub rather uneasily against eachother, and I am also extra tetchy whenever we are in a period of seeing cases escalate but before government has gotten round to responding to the increases with action. But this time around, unlike previous occasions, we dont even know if or when they will be forced to take action, their rhetoric has set them up to resist u-turns much more than on previous occasions. But there is still a limit to how far this government can stretch indifference and inaction somewhere, a limit government may yet have to face if hospitalisations get back on track with following case rises (hospital admissions had a period where they stagnated recently, which overexcited the optimists, but that stage now seems to have passed).

eg see charts like this one that I talked about ages ago at The nerdy amounts of pandemic detail thread

The stuff in green, less deaths etc than usual, is the reason I was entirely unsurprised by how low deaths fell at some stages of 2020. Note that there is an entire table relating to short-term impact.

View attachment 276146
Nice table, but these things are notoriously difficult to estimate correctly. The whole thing hangs on 3000 fewer deaths due to air pollution, but road traffic went back pretty quickly to pre pandemic levels unfortunately.

And don't get me started on the economic bit of the table. 2000 less deaths from dementia and 2000 less from heart conditions, because there will be a recession? What? Because lockdowns cure dementia and make people do more exercise to improve their cardio health? It completely contradicts itself because it highlights low exercise as one of the risks.

Last edited:
And sorry if thats a bit strong. Its a difficult moment right now because there is the very awkward juxtaposition of a rapidly declining situation, combined with increased desires from some quarters to advocate a return to normality for many. These two things rub rather uneasily against eachother, and I am also extra tetchy whenever we are in a period of seeing cases escalate but before government has gotten round to responding to the increases with action. But this time around, unlike previous occasions, we dont even know if or when they will be forced to take action, their rhetoric has set them up to resist u-turns much more than on previous occasions. But there is still a limit to how far this government can stretch indifference and inaction somewhere, a limit government may yet have to face if hospitalisations get back on track with following case rises (hospital admissions had a period where they stagnated recently, which overexcited the optimists, but that stage now seems to have passed).
No worries, I respect your point of view but it's clear we are on opposite ends of optimism/pessimism spectrum.

I don't see anything to worry about in terms of hospitalisations on the govt. dashboard either but that may be the optimist in me. Case numbers are dire I admit.

Lots can happen in the gap between a positive case and a hospitalization as well. Numerous other healthcare service contacts, various calls to GPs and 111, a GP appointment, an OOH clinic trip, maybe ambulance attending, possibly a trip to A&E without ending up in admission, all sorts of stuff that impacts the capacity of the NHS.

Nice table, but these things are notoriously difficult to estimate correctly. The whole thing hangs on 3000 fewer deaths due to air pollution, but road traffic went back pretty quickly to pre pandemic levels unfortunately.

And don't get me started on the economic bit of the table. 2000 less deaths from dementia and 2000 less from heart conditions, because there will be a recession? What? Because lockdowns cure dementia and make people do more exercise to improve their cardio health? It completely contradicts itself because it highlights low exercise as one of the risks.

I dont have time to properly get my teeth into this now. I'll just say its very complicated and there are lots of factors at play, some of which may not immediately spring to mind.

The old normal, and prosperity, kills people.

Plus there a lot of different aspects to the timing of death. Recessions can change the timing of death in ways that may seem counterintuitive if you are only thinking about the development of their health condition over the long term, as opposed to events that actually trigger their death within a particular period of time.

Back
Top Bottom