Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Coronavirus in the UK - news, lockdown and discussion

But one of the most frustrating things at the moment is that one reasonable answer to this - not perfect but at least defensible - was to say 'until most people were double jabbed', and that would only have been a few months more - just a few more months after fifteen months of shit. Instead we're getting an answer to it that has a mostly political logic, and as a result future lockdowns have been made more likely, with increased future deaths and increased long covid rates a certainty.
What about the large numbers of people not getting jabbed? I have no agenda with this question. Waiting a few months would have been my idea too, I don't want a forever limited life but numbers of non vaxxers in my area are high.

Reports from Israel suggest negotiations are underway to transfer around 1 million unused doses of Pfizer to the UK within the next week as their current stock would expire before a second dose could be administered. In return the UK would forward to Israel an equivalent number of doses from their upcoming shipments from Pfizer.
Failing that they would seek an extension of validity from the manufacturer.

Reports from Israel suggest negotiations are underway to transfer around 1 million unused doses of Pfizer to the UK within the next week as their current stock would expire before a second dose could be administered. In return the UK would forward to Israel an equivalent number of doses from their upcoming shipments from Pfizer.
Failing that they would seek an extension of validity from the manufacturer.

is this the same batch the Palestinians turned down because it was being offered but about to expire?

Proposed timetable for autumn booster (third) doses and influenza vaccinations floated by the JCVI.
Any potential COVID-19 booster programme should be offered in 2 stages:

Stage 1. The following persons should be offered a third dose COVID-19 booster vaccine and the annual influenza vaccine as soon as possible from September 2021:
  • adults aged 16 years and over who are immunosuppressed
  • those living in residential care homes for older adults
  • all adults aged 70 years or over
  • adults aged 16 years and over who are considered clinically extremely vulnerable
  • frontline health and social care workers

Stage 2. The following persons should be offered a third dose COVID-19 booster vaccine as soon as practicable after stage 1, with equal emphasis on deployment of the influenza vaccine where eligible:
  • all adults aged 50 years and over
  • adults aged 16 to 49 years who are in an influenza or COVID-19 at-risk group
  • adult household contacts of immunosuppressed individuals

Not clear. Supposedly these 'expire' 30 July. Of course, if Pfizer can validate that they can be used for an extended period...

The first batches will have been put on stability studies. I’m not sure what end time point they will have used, but it will be longer than the existing expiry date printed on the batches.

If arsed I could have a look at the AZ submission to EU for product approval. It should be in there. I’ve not seen any info for pfizer though, and that is a very different product with respect to stability.

Surely Delta will rip through Europe and the US soon too?

Yup. The simple fact is that we (and most of the world) are loosening the restrictions from one pandemic, just as another one that actually requires tighter restrictions than the first did than the first sweeps across us.

The plan, if there is one, can only be to hope like hell that vaccination can save us. It’s still not nearly clear from the guinea pig (us) that it is going to be able to, at least in terms of severe disruption to hospitals etc.

I’ve been expecting for a while now the messaging to change to “don’t worry [if you’ve been vaccinated and] test positive, don’t go to hospital, stay at home, you’ll be fine [and if you die, well at least you won’t have clogged up the nhs]”

Also I have no conception what the ‘plan’ regarding this new pandemic is with regards to the vast swathes of the developing world where vaccination simply isn’t going to be at a level to even possibly be a bulwark.

I’m veering towards the pessimistic :(

Yup. The simple fact is that we (and most of the world) are loosening the restrictions from one pandemic, just as another one that actually requires tighter restrictions than the first did than the first sweeps across us.

The plan, if there is one, can only be to hope like hell that vaccination can save us. It’s still not nearly clear from the guinea pig (us) that it is going to be able to, at least in terms of severe disruption to hospitals etc.

I’ve been expecting for a while now the messaging to change to “don’t worry [if you’ve been vaccinated and] test positive, don’t go to hospital, stay at home, you’ll be fine [and if you die, well at least you won’t have clogged up the nhs]”

Also I have no conception what the ‘plan’ regarding this new pandemic is with regards to the vast swathes of the developing world where vaccination simply isn’t going to be at a level to even possibly be a bulwark.

I’m veering towards the pessimistic :(
as i said on the schools thread, the Javid era plan seems to be herd immunity for kids, vaccine immunity for adults, tough shit for anyone who dies/gets seriously ill

Yeah and I think the yanks are more complacent than us about it.
the one factor that might slow it is schools will break up soon, so they might miss that cauldron phase...but seems inevitable to me...certainly by September (only a couple of months away).

Looking at that graph Ed posted, looks like US and EU figures ever so slightly going up too

the one factor that might slow it is schools will break up soon, so they might miss that cauldron phase...but seems inevitable to me...certainly by September (only a couple of months away).

Looking at that graph Ed posted, looks like US and EU figures ever so slightly going up too
It looks to me like a repeat of last year but a bit different due to vaccines. Open up in the summer and then restrictions again in autumn once the weather turns and numbers really go up. I don't expect there will be another lockdown though.

Are there any figures showing how high the numbers/percentages are, for people who've been double jabbed but still get re-infected?? :confused:

I'm aware that how long it is since their second jab before infection comes, must be one of the relevant factors.

It's just that the story at the weekend about Andrew Marr getting Covid again** caught my attention :hmm:

**ETA : After having been double-jabbed, but I have no idea of timings on that.

Last edited:
Another reason we should be trying to keep infections down. Potentially huge numbers of people with covid induced immune system issues, assuming I have understood the article.

Are there any figures showing how high the numbers/percentages are, for people who've been double jabbed but still get re-infected?? :confused:

I'm aware that how long it is since their second jab before infection comes, must be one of the relevant factors.

It's just that the story at the weekend about Andrew Marr getting Covid again** caught my attention :hmm:

**ETA : After having been double-jabbed, but I have no idea of timings on that.
Pfizer gives you 80-90% protection against reinfection, two weeks after the second dose. AZ gives 60-70% according to this article: The Covid Delta variant: how effective are the vaccines?

Obviously 30% of a big number is still a big number, which is one explanation for case numbers continuing to rise. (The other reason being that most under 40s haven't had two jabs yet so they don't have strong protection.)

Pfizer gives you 80-90% protection against reinfection, two weeks after the second dose. AZ gives 60-70% according to this article: The Covid Delta variant: how effective are the vaccines?

Obviously 30% of a big number is still a big number, which is one explanation for case numbers continuing to rise. (The other reason being that most under 40s haven't had two jabs yet so they don't have strong protection.)

But, better protection against hospital admission.

According to an analysis by PHE, the Pfizer/BioNTech jab was linked to a 94% vaccine effectiveness against hospital admission with the Delta variant after one dose and 96% after two doses, while the figures for the Oxford/AstraZeneca jab were 71% and 92% respectively.

These numbers aren't anything to do with "re-infection".

That is incorrect (in the article).

Figure are for protection against symptoms or hospitalisations or death, not against picking up an infection. Sorry for being a pedant.
The question I was answering was about Andrew Marr who had a symptomatic infection. Ok, asymptomatic infection exists as well but it doesn't put anyone in hospital and it's not as common as people think.

These numbers aren't anything to do with "re-infection".
They are to do with infection. Reinfection is a subset of infection.

If you're being pedantic then, the chances of reinfection should logically be lower for anyone who has both acquired immunity and a vaccine. So those numbers represent a lower bound.

Just replace 60-70% with at least 60-70% and you're good to go.

Many younger adults won't have even been offered their second dose by September.
Yes, that article covers that; there's no need for a third dose for them to safeguard healthcare provision over the winter.
No it doesn't. The figures are for a (sub-)population, not an individual, as has been mentioned repeatedly.

Yes, that article covers that; there's no need for a third dose for them to safeguard healthcare provision over the winter.

No it doesn't. The figures are for a (sub-)population, not an individual, as has been mentioned repeatedly.
Please elaborate. Population statistics should apply to the average individual too?

They are to do with infection. Reinfection is a subset of infection.

If you're being pedantic then, the chances of reinfection should logically be lower for anyone who has both acquired immunity and a vaccine. So those numbers represent a lower bound.

Just replace 60-70% with at least 60-70% and you're good to go.
It's not pedantic to point out you are providing numbers that are for something other than what you said they were. If it needs to say "at least" then it's your job to write that, not the reader's to insert it.

It looks to me like a repeat of last year but a bit different due to vaccines. Open up in the summer and then restrictions again in autumn once the weather turns and numbers really go up. I don't expect there will be another lockdown though.

Unclear which countries you are suggesting that timetable for. Because as far as the UK goes the explosive growth in cases is happening now, no need to wait for autumn.

Back
Top Bottom