Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Coronavirus in the UK - news, lockdown and discussion

I bet Tim Spector is already regretting the stupid things he said about not worrying about variants, and his 'ripple not a wave' shit.

Meanwhile it seems I started my plan to monitor some people who do modelling on twitter but have stupid Telegraph type attitudes to the pandemic in the nick of time. The person I picked is already unhappy with what data that came out since shows, is going to have to redo their modelling next weekend, and is regretting their stupid decision to call their previous modelling results a prediction not a scenario.

The same old mistakes, largely because of their tendency to believe what they wanted to believe, rather than what was actually most likely to fit with reality.

A large range of possibilities for this wave still exist in my mind. So far the indications point towards bad shit, but there is always a chance things might improve.

I've literally travelled the length of the country in the past 24hrs and 6 different trains and my feeling is that mask wearing is similarly ropey everywhere, from South London to the Scottish Highlands. Loads of under-30s seemingly not bothered at all, mixed sketchiness with the middle aged, and the only carriage I've been in where nearly everyone had a mask on was going through the Yorkshire dales filled with a group of retired-aged walkers.

Meanwhile my reading during this journey has changed my general feeling from "maybe we've got a bit of a problem coming up" to "looks rather likely we might have a big problem coming up".

The school where I work has been very good at mask wearing, ventilation and distancing but now the mask mandate's gone everyone's stopped bothering. There was a small outbreak (one class and a few contacts sent home) a week before half term so there's obviously virus around. The windows are still open all the time but I think that's more to do with it being June.

Not recognising half my students was the main problem. There's one kid who looks like my best mate from primary school with a mask on but has a weird skinny face without it. Was a bit of a shock.

They're still testing though so there will probably be outbreaks soon.

My old "war wound" is tingling about the rise in case rates ...

Out for various things today and I'm seeing quite a lot of stupidity / risk-taking with masking (poking out noses and the like).

I do hope that the vaccines do their job at breaking the link between cases, hospitalisations and deaths. But people need to continue to observe : Hands : Face : Space & Fresh Air to reduce cases as much as possible.

Was just texting with my cousin who lives in New York, who says his two teenaged daughters have been double jabbed. When I told him we are celebrating that 25 year olds are at the front of the queue he replied ‘It’s strange how far behind the Uk is’. And I had really no idea, to some extent ive been comparing us to places where it’s 100 times worse but also no question I must have bought the Gov’s Worldbeating theme.

Was just texting with my cousin who lives in New York, who says his two teenaged daughters have been double jabbed. When I told him we are celebrating that 25 year olds are at front if the queue he replied It’s strange how far behind the Uk is.
And I had really no idea, to some extent I’ve bought the Gov’s Worldbeating theme .

The US is well behind the UK on vaccinations.

Just because they are jabbing teens, doesn't mean they have done well with adults.

Was just texting with my cousin who lives in New York, who says his two teenaged daughters have been double jabbed. When I told him we are celebrating that 25 year olds are at the front of the queue he replied ‘It’s strange how far behind the Uk is’. And I had really no idea, to some extent ive been comparing us to places where it’s 100 times worse but also no question I must have bought the Gov’s Worldbeating theme.
Your friend is wrong

1623179433260.png

1623179468650.png
1623179501788.png

That's England, not the UK. Wales has already started offering vaccines to all adults.

Wales' Covid-19 vaccine rollout 'one of the best in the world' | ITV News

It depends on what you're comparing, no?

If you look at England only, instead of the UK as a whole, and if you look at New York only, instead of the US as a whole?

As said, New York state seems to be just slightly better than Uk as a whole, they must just doing it differently. He just replied saying he didn't pay. he'd definitely insured tho.
I'm not trying to talk down Great Britian! was just saying it was a shock to hear that.

Screenshot 2021-06-08 at 20.17.34.pngScreenshot 2021-06-08 at 20.17.42.png

As said, New York state seems to be just slightly better than Uk as a whole, they must just doing it differently. He just replied saying he didn't pay. he'd definitely insured tho. I'm not trying to talk down Great Britian! was just saying it was a shock to hear that.
View attachment 272551View attachment 272550
Yeah but you seem to be comparing NY state with the whole of the UK. Which doesn't really seem like a reasonable basis for comparison?

I dont know why people are so interested in international comparisons when they are apparently so disinterested in comparisons between different countries and regions within the UK.

Also how good the population estimates which are used to come up with percentage figures are bound to vary. As I was saying yesterday, better hope the London regions population estimates are wrong:

Screenshot 2021-06-08 at 20.23.jpg

I dont know why people are so interested in international comparisons when they are apparently so disinterested in comparisons between different countries and regions within the UK.

Also how good the population estimates which are used to come up with percentage figures are bound to vary. As I was saying yesterday, better hope the London regions population estimates are wrong:

View attachment 272553
Is it cos London is full of Young People?

I don't think vaccination rates would be the only ranking where Vermont comes first and Mississippi comes last - according to this list, if the UK was a state it would rank 28th in terms of the proportion fully vaccinated, between Illinois and Florida.

Back
Top Bottom