Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Coronavirus in the UK - news, lockdown and discussion

In terms of the nature of criticisms Hancock is facing in parliament today, there is quite a lot of focus on the timing of the India red list decision compared to Pakistan etc. Johnsons India trade trip was mentioned.
IINM, Hancock claimed that the redlist decision regarding Pakistan & Bangladesh was based upon those two countries of origin yielding significantly higher rates of test positivity than India at that time.

Sounds like BS; hope he's asked to produce the data to support the claim.

IINM, Hancock claimed that the redlist decision regarding Pakistan & Bangladesh was based upon those two countries of origin yielding significantly higher rates of test positivity than India at that time.

Sounds like BS; hope he's asked to produce the data to support the claim.

I heard him saying yesterday that India was testing far more than Pakistan & Bangladesh, so I checked on worldometers, hoping to nail him, but he was correct about testing.

Tests per 1m population-
India - 227,344
Pakistan - 55,401
Bangladesh - 34,359

All worrying TBH, the UK is on 2,478,213.

Its quite possible he can produce dataa that fits the narrow criteria and timing, but then the question just becomes how shit that narrow criteria was.
And whether to not it was applied equally to other countries, or was it really just number crunching created with hindsight to cover Johnson's trade-deal based decision regarding India?

I heard him saying yesterday that India was testing far more than Pakistan & Bangladesh, so I checked on worldometers, hoping to nail him, but he was correct about testing.

Tests per 1m population-
India - 227,344
Pakistan - 55,401
Bangladesh - 34,359

All worrying TBH, the UK is on 2,478,213.

Yeah, but in the commons he specifically called it on the rate of positive tests results. I presume that's testing on arrival?

View attachment 268799
No expert, but that doesn't sound like it's something to toast down 'spoons this evening?
Yeah thats why I go on about not focussing too much on the current hotspots if that risks distracting from the fact this variant is seeded quite widely across the country. When combined with how long the time is between cases occuring and genomic analysis revealing how many were of the new variant, the safest thing to assume is that this variant is widespread by now. If searching for something more positive to say, the best I can manage is to also keep in mind the context of the overall levels of prevalence of infections in general still being fairly low right now.

On a related note:

Last week, Bedford Borough Council called for vaccines to be offered to all residents aged 16 and over due to the increase in cases.

Professor Chris Whitty, England's chief medical officer, said local "surge vaccinations" were not being pursued as there was a "finite" supply of doses and younger people were less at risk from the virus.

Louise Jackson, portfolio holder for public health and wellbeing at the council, said she thought not offering vaccines to people aged over 16 was "a mistake".

"We have the second highest rate of infection in the country," she said.

"We should be getting the resources and vaccinations here so we can get on top of things."

From Covid: Surge testing in Bedford due to Indian variant

I dont know what I'd do about that, I dont think my first instinct would be to rush to vaccinate people in the younger age groups.

bimble said:
Screenshot 2021-05-17 at 18.46.50.png

All that noise about having to show vaccine status to go inside pubs and things never amounted to anything did it.

Supine said:
She hasn’t exactly mastered mask wearing yet :)

Not a great message at all, I agree :(,

But TBF, Mrs Couperthwaite might well have just been posing for the press-opportunity before the place actually opened.

(When I manage to get myself to Bolton some time in the future, I'm going to go to that pub I think! Beer choice looks good :D )

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom