Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Combating hopelessness

For Mindfulness fans. Dr Florian Ruths (who treated me with Lithium at Community Health in Norwood Hight St/Streatham High Rd in 2010/11) is on this podcast.

I'd forgotten how personable and yet bonkers he is. He never suggested Mindfulness to me - but that was not the remit in community psychiatry, it was more how to bring the patient down to earth without screwing the benefits.
If I tell you that St Florian is the patron saint of firemen you might get why I myself personally am skeptical of mindfulness - even Mindfulness on a Motorbike à la Dr Florian.

tried some online mindfulness zooms during lockdown to help my anxiety but just couldn't cope with it at all. It brought on a panic attack.
Decided I might needed out-of-mind-fulness.

tried some online mindfulness zooms during lockdown to help my anxiety but just couldn't cope with it at all. It brought on a panic attack.
Decided I might needed out-of-mind-fulness.

I did that too (an NHS mindfulness course) - also during lockdown and it did work for me but:
1) some of the people in my group had serious mental health issues. I could of course be optimistic and assume that mindfulness was offered to them as part of their actual treatment but I suspect it was a substitute (or a side dish to SSRIs).
2) it required a lot of commitment and effort, 1-2h per day + weekly sesh + one half-day sesh. I was told it was primarily targeted at people with depression and if I know one thing about depression is that doing something - anything - is incredibly difficult, let alone such a rigorous course.
3) it was helpful and relaxing but in the end it was not what reduced my anxiety; letting negative thoughts come and go is not the same as dealing with the mechanisms behind those thoughts.
4) I think a big part of the therapeutic effect came from simply talking about issues with the group - once we got to know each other and felt less freaked out.

TL;DR: mindfulness is a nice to have but it's being used as treatment which it is not, and don't even get me started on its use in the workplace

TL;DR: mindfulness is a nice to have but it's being used as treatment which it is not, and don't even get me started on its use in the workplace

I think there is a lot to be said for meditation practise/ mindfullness

Within business however it is used to make people feel the problems they face in the workplace ( in capitalist society where there labour is being exploited) is due to them not having the right frame of mind.

I know one company that offers its staff free mindfullness courses yet the way it operates as a business is the opposite of mindfullness.

There is a certain appropriation of Eastern philosophy that means a CEO can have Feng Shui designed office, give staff mindfulness courses yet exploit there staff.

Ive only recently become aware of the idea of collective trauma and coming to terms with post thatcher stress disorder.

We live in a mad world.

Could that maybe be an underlying theme of this whole thread ?
And how we are affected , and respond - individually and collectively - to the circumstances we are living through ?
Yes.

No amount of mindfulness will solve today's political problems, that of voracious capitalism devouring the world's resources.

I found myself accidentally part of an extinction rebellion march recently and their joyous chants of 'this is what democracy looks like!' filled me with hope.

I did that too (an NHS mindfulness course) - also during lockdown and it did work for me but:
1) some of the people in my group had serious mental health issues. I could of course be optimistic and assume that mindfulness was offered to them as part of their actual treatment but I suspect it was a substitute (or a side dish to SSRIs).
2) it required a lot of commitment and effort, 1-2h per day + weekly sesh + one half-day sesh. I was told it was primarily targeted at people with depression and if I know one thing about depression is that doing something - anything - is incredibly difficult, let alone such a rigorous course.
3) it was helpful and relaxing but in the end it was not what reduced my anxiety; letting negative thoughts come and go is not the same as dealing with the mechanisms behind those thoughts.
4) I think a big part of the therapeutic effect came from simply talking about issues with the group - once we got to know each other and felt less freaked out.

Seems like my local NHS seems to only offer Cognitive behavioural therapy, CBT. Which didn't help my panicking and is not helpful for every mental health condition.

During lockdown 5 of us from my older queer group set up our own weekly 'wellbeing zoom' like a sort of group therapy to talk about our physical, mental and social problems. We discussed what we wanted, what we were comfortable with and decided on a format of each talking one by one without interruption for ten minutes or so then general discussion, questions, suggestions with time at the end again to each speak without interruption about how we were afterwards and what we do next.

That felt very helpful. I think we are capable of figuring out our own solutions and it was good to be taking things into our own hands.

I think there is a lot to be said for meditation practise/ mindfullness

Oh, I agree with you. I still do both here and there, and they feel particularly attractive in a society where distraction is sold as multitasking. But yeah, like you said, in a workplace it's often either a way to make people feel responsible for their own exploitation, a hasty crisis management exercise or a way to look like they're doing something whilst doing nothing.

Seems like my local NHS seems to only offer Cognitive behavioural therapy, CBT. Which didn't help my panicking and is not helpful for every mental health condition.

During lockdown 5 of us from my older queer group set up our own weekly 'wellbeing zoom' like a sort of group therapy to talk about our physical, mental and social problems. We discussed what we wanted, what we were comfortable with and decided on a format of each talking one by one without interruption for ten minutes or so then general discussion, questions, suggestions with time at the end again to each speak without interruption about how we were afterwards and what we do next.

That felt very helpful. I think we are capable of figuring out our own solutions and it was good to be taking things into our own hands.

Yeah, I had the same. I did find CBT helpful but I waited 1.5 years for the princely 6 sessions of it. My therapist told me about a mindfulness course run by NHS and I self-referred. But what really helped me were Feeling Good podcasts on TEAM CBT. Dr Burns irritates the shit out of me, his comments can be sexist/racist/egotistical/etc, but his system is very effective and I'd wish I had access to this resource when I was younger.

Your lockdown group sounds absolutely wonderful. I wish I had something like that in my life. I think most people would!

Just asking about this
WPF Therapy came up in my Facebook timeline (as "sponsored").
Privilege, Identity and Otherness:
An Intersectional Exploration...............
(it said)

Anything mentioning intersectionality attracts my attention.
Does it exist, or is it:
a fond thing vainly invented, and grounded upon no warranty of Scripture, but rather repugnant to the Word of God?

Whatever the case an introductory interview with WPF Therapy to elucidate in one's personal case will cost £120

Just curious to know how Facebook's algorithm determined I was good for this.
Do I compute as "vulnerable, depressive, bipolar, super-rich, non-substance-abusing"?

Just asking about this
WPF Therapy came up in my Facebook timeline (as "sponsored").
Privilege, Identity and Otherness:
An Intersectional Exploration...............
(it said)

Anything mentioning intersectionality attracts my attention.
Does it exist, or is it:
a fond thing vainly invented, and grounded upon no warranty of Scripture, but rather repugnant to the Word of God?

Whatever the case an introductory interview with WPF Therapy to elucidate in one's personal case will cost £120

Just curious to know how Facebook's algorithm determined I was good for this.
Do I compute as "vulnerable, depressive, bipolar, super-rich, non-substance-abusing"?
I don't like the look of them. Didn't see anything on their site about intersectionality. As well as charging £120 for an initial consultation they ask for donations - They invite donations, leagacies and have someting about gift aid - but dont include a charity number :hmm:

We are supported by individual donors who believe in the work we do; some donate regular payments by standing order and others make one-off gifts. We are grateful to all of them for their generous support which enables us to continue and develop our work.​

Donations help us in many ways:
  • supporting our affordable clinic and subsidised therapy, helping us to keep our costs down
  • providing bursaries for trainees who cannot afford full fees
  • developing new services, such as ‘life histories’ groups for older people and undertaking research to improve the services we offer
  • improving our efficiency, for example, with better IT systems
  • enhancing our communications, so that more people know about us

Donate (PayPal, Debit/Credit Card or Cheque)​

They invite donations, leagacies and have someting about gift aid - but dont include a charity number :hmm:

bottom line of their website has

Company No. 1214251 Registered in England | Registered Charity No. 273434 | Organisational member of the BACP and UKCP

I've not checked either.

And I misread it as WTF which is probably not good

I'm feeling fairly hopeless today, but that could just be because I'm ill. It all looks bleak.

:(

get well soon

Yes.

No amount of mindfulness will solve today's political problems, that of voracious capitalism devouring the world's resources.

I found myself accidentally part of an extinction rebellion march recently and their joyous chants of 'this is what democracy looks like!' filled me with hope.
I love XR for their optimism, but I do find them (XR Lambeth used our hall a lot before lockdown, & several times since lockdown ended) rather bourgeois, & therefore a bit removed from what life is like for those of us at "ground zero". They're rather like the Green Party in that way. They are, however, advocates of direct action, & that can only be a good thing.

I'm feeling fairly hopeless today, but that could just be because I'm ill. It all looks bleak.
Keep your chin up. We've been here before, back in the 1970s, with politicians reacting to events they have no control over; with poverty; with political turmoil; with stagflation & that existential pain from believing that everything is falling apart. We survived that - & Thatcher - & we'll survive this. It hurts, but it'll pass, & solutions to problems - or at least ameliorations - will be found. Capitalism won't strangle itself. It'll make accommodations, because who kills off their customer base? What we need to do is make (large OR small) efforts to help them realise this. Me, I send letters to large retailers, instructing them how to not be such wasteful people, & how donating to communities is a good way to establish "customer loyalty". :D

Maybe I'm going off-topic here, but one of my issues is how political correctness has morphed into war.
I've just ordered this US academic treatise in the Springer academic sale - wonder if it will clear things up?
The book is from 2018 - predating the way things have now gone in the UK with Twitter wars and GB News - but not predating Fox news of course.
1666688535436.png
  • A timely intervention in the hot-button topics of free speech and political correctness
  • Accessibly engages with the sociological and cultural concerns arising from recent events on college campus and in wider society
  • Relevant to an array of disciplines including sociology, culture and media studies, psychology, politics, and American studies
I was finally pushed into this by someone I know re-Tweeting a Momentum attack on the Labour MP for Canterbury, who has apparently called into question Eddie Izzard's status as "a woman".

It does seem to me that life on the left these days is a bit like European religious life in the 16th century.
On the one hand you could be burned at the stake for undermining the Pope or the King - but then again you had charismatic nutters like this who said the kingdom of God has arrived and polygamy was now permitted

It might be quite nice to go back to the mores of Manchester c. 1974 when drag queens were fun and not an identity issue. (pace one of my former employers - Mr Danny la Rue)

Last edited:
CH1 Not read the book but the title annoys me. Fits in with the popular media idea that anyone who complains is a whining snowflake. When there is so much to complain about they want to highlight the arguments in a few universities and spatts on twitter that highlight difference and divisions between us. It plays into the hands of who benefit by the principal of divide and rule.

Last edited:
Maybe I'm going off-topic here, but one of my issues is how political correctness has morphed into war.
'political correctness' was a previous term of abuse against anyone who called out sexism, racism, or homophobia. Like 'woke' now.

I've often been told I was too 'politically correct' when I objected to jokes about patients with AIDS or objected to everyday sexism, racism etc. it was a way to belittle my objection and reinforce the egos of those who thought their own unexamined cruel words were perfectly acceptable and it was I who lacked a sense of humour.

Not sure what you mean by 'morphed into war'. I always felt I was 'at war' with the status quo, the Tory govt and the patriarchal world in general. I felt very much under attack and the need to fight back. Isn't it the same now?

'political correctness' was a previous term of abuse against anyone who called out sexism, racism, or homophobia. Like 'woke' now.

I've often been told I was too 'politically correct' when I objected to jokes about patients with AIDS or objected to everyday sexism, racism etc. it was a way to belittle my objection and reinforce the egos of those who thought their own unexamined cruel words were perfectly acceptable and it was I who lacked a sense of humour.

Not sure what you mean by 'morphed into war'. I always felt I was 'at war' with the status quo, the Tory govt and the patriarchal world in general. I felt very much under attack and the need to fight back. Isn't it the same now?
On GB News Woke is used like Queer was used against me at school.
On the other hand I seldom hear woke used in a positive way.

On the third hand I have often heard - in the past - "politically correct" used to describe something appropriate and progressive.

Will we always be dancing around euphemisms in what we say? Suella Braverman managed to turn Guardian reading and tofu eating into a form of fascist abuse. So what is the response?

Personally I favour censorship. Braverman has gone, unless Sunak brought her back. I think it would be great if GB News and Talk TV were taken off air. And TBN Christian TV on Freeview 66.

It's bad enough people slagging you off in person, should that happen, without paying your license fee to facilitate it on Freeview!

Interesting how yesterday's media insults become common language. Eg suffragette.

In the gay community it's always been the tradition to adopt the insult and wear it with pride. Like the word 'Queer' or 'pits and perverts'. I remember 'swirling in a cesspit of our own creation' on a huge banner above the stage at Pride in kennington park in '89. How we laughed and danced then.

I read a article in the standard reminding us Ms Braverman is years out of date mentioning tofu. If she was up to date she would have said jackfruit and kimchi. Reminded how yogurt eaters and muesli eaters were derided by previous ministers. I think someone has already made a t-shirt out of the tofu munching wokeratti comment which I expect to see on demos everywhere soon.

CH1 Not read the book but the title annoys me. Fits in with the popular media idea that anyone who complains is a whining snowflake. When there is so much to complain about they want to highlight the arguments in a few universities and spatts on twitter that highlight difference and divisions between us. It plays into the hands of who benefit by the principal of divide and rule.

Yeah, same here. I'd be very curious to find out whether the book covers the adoption of the 'victimisation culture' by CIS white men, aka the Jordan Petersen crowd. And then differentiates between the groups that are genuinely marginalised and those that just want the social capital that comes with being seen as such. I'm not holding my breath.

Yeah, same here. I'd be very curious to find out whether the book covers the adoption of the 'victimisation culture' by CIS white men, aka the Jordan Petersen crowd. And then differentiates between the groups that are genuinely marginalised and those that just want the social capital that comes with being seen as such. I'm not holding my breath.
That is precisely the point. Never mind Petersen, GBN, Carole Malone etc claim to be victimised by "culture warriors".
This is all ass about tit. Trump gets witch-hunted and people suffocated by police officers are drug abusers.
The Metropolitan Police culture in London jumped on this bandwagon according to their WhatsAp fulminations.

Something must make you happy?
Is this to the world in general or to a particular poster?

Is happiness the antidote to hopelessness?

edit to add I find happiness to be a slippery and transitory emotion. One that is constantly sold to us by capitalism.

In the gay community it's always been the tradition to adopt the insult and wear it with pride.
I suppose I did that in as far as I was able. Became the school mascot pervert of my year if you like.
But this is not healthy is it? It left me with a life-long habit of "over sharing".

That is precisely the point. Never mind Petersen, GBN, Carole Malone etc claim to be victimised by "culture warriors".
This is all ass about tit. Trump gets witch-hunted and people suffocated by police officers are drug abusers.
The Metropolitan Police culture in London jumped on this bandwagon according to their WhatsAp fulminations.
Those those in power / in the majority seem to feel threatened by any visibility or presence by any minority or less powerful than themselves.

Idk if I understand you correctly (if not, correct me) but to me it seems pretty understandable and to have been expected. The society progresses, we attach social capital to being marginalised in order to give marginalised people a voice (I won't go so far as to say 'power'), then everyone wants some. Frustrating at times, sure, but expected.

I love XR for their optimism, but I do find them (XR Lambeth used our hall a lot before lockdown, & several times since lockdown ended) rather bourgeois, & therefore a bit removed from what life is like for those of us at "ground zero". They're rather like the Green Party in that way. They are, however, advocates of direct action, & that can only be a good thing.
yes, and no. advocates for, yes, but they don't give a damn about the people arrested on their direct actions.

Back
Top Bottom