Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Combating hopelessness

I suppose I did that in as far as I was able. Became the school mascot pervert of my year if you like.
But this is not healthy is it? It left me with a life-long habit of "over sharing".
Don't know, depends if internalise it or wear it proudly maybe?

I feel it's protected me on occasion , when someone shouted 'dyke!' in my direction and I said 'Yes dyke here! Someone calling me?' Which shut them up. (I hasten to add they were on the opposite side of a busy road and far enough for me to run away from, hence my bravery)

yes, and no. advocates for, yes, but they don't give a damn about the people arrested on their direct actions.
I thought there was a XR network of volunteers to support those who arrested. Thought too that they urge people who might suffer or be victimised not to put themselves forward to be arrested.

Idk if I understand you correctly (if not, correct me) but to me it seems pretty understandable and to have been expected. The society progresses, we attach social capital to being marginalised in order to give marginalised people a voice (I won't go so far as to say 'power'), then everyone wants some. Frustrating at times, sure, but expected.
Is there social capital to being marginalised? Does that happen? (I'm old and we used to being treated like scum) I suppose lgbtq became fashionable at some point - is that what you mean?

I thought there was a XR network of volunteers to support those who arrested. Thought too that they urge people who might suffer or be victimised not to put themselves forward to be arrested.
it's possible there have been such groups, but if so the group of about twenty people i saw in court at city of london magistrates a couple of years back slipped through their net, as none of them had ever encountered this support and no one from xr turned up to offer even moral support. the group of people i saw getting convicted came from a range of backgrounds, including a couple of pensioners. it's disgraceful that the organisation that encouraged them to risk arrest did nothing to support them when they were arrested, charged, and prosecuted.

it's possible there have been such groups, but if so the group of about twenty people i saw in court at city of london magistrates a couple of years back slipped through their net, as none of them had ever encountered this support and no one from xr turned up to offer even moral support. the group of people i saw getting convicted came from a range of backgrounds, including a couple of pensioners. it's disgraceful that the organisation that encouraged them to risk arrest did nothing to support them when they were arrested, charged, and prosecuted.
That is sad to hear. I'm sure we can find fault with every organisation of protest that has ever existed. I still find it hopeful that XR exist and are raising awareness of and fighting climate change in creative ways.

Are you on this thread just to nit pick or do you have something to say about combatting hopelessness?

That is sad to hear. I'm sure we can find fault with every organisation of protest that has ever existed. I still find it hopeful that XR exist and are raising awareness of and fighting climate change in creative ways.

Are you on this thread just to nit pick or do you have something to say about combatting hopelessness?
i don't think it's nit picking to raise in response to a post about xr how shoddily they treat people arrested on their protests when they're in the courts. after all, one of the aims of xr was to clog up the courts with arrestees from their demos, it's not oops we never thought about people facing magistrates. they just don't care.

but turning to combating hopelessness, one of the things i did over lockdown was to start putting out birdfeeders - watching birds eating is very therapeutic ime, you see what social creatures they are and how they take turns to eat. and if you're lucky you'll see a squirrel or two doing acrobatics to get at the food. ok, it's not going to defeat the 3am depression, but it's certainly good for mental health. if you watch autumnwatch when it comes on - probably next month, i think - you'll see various stories about how getting out into nature has worked wonders for people's mental health. you don't need to go to the cairngorms, there's a surprising amount of wildlife fairly near each of us. plus viewing autumnwatch and the other -watches are beneficial in themselves.

Is there social capital to being marginalised? Does that happen? (I'm old and we used to being treated like scum) I suppose lgbtq became fashionable at some point - is that what you mean?

I'd argue that there is. The society has been changing. There's a growing understanding that people from marginalised groups: 1) need to be represented in more areas of decision making; 2) are best placed to lead the discussion on the specific issues relating to the group. We discuss whether we need quotas. We try to amplify those voices when we can. We haven't 'arrived' - not by far, it's a hard-going grind with much backlash - but I'd say that there's definitely been progress.

i don't think it's nit picking to raise in response to a post about xr how shoddily they treat people arrested on their protests when they're in the courts. after all, one of the aims of xr was to clog up the courts with arrestees from their demos, it's not oops we never thought about people facing magistrates. they just don't care.
This isn't a thread about the operational inadequacy of a particular group. Isn't there an XR thread somewhere? Go bother that.

but turning to combating hopelessness, one of the things i did over lockdown was to start putting out birdfeeders - watching birds eating is very therapeutic ime, you see what social creatures they are and how they take turns to eat. and if you're lucky you'll see a squirrel or two doing acrobatics to get at the food. ok, it's not going to defeat the 3am depression, but it's certainly good for mental health. if you watch autumnwatch when it comes on - probably next month, i think - you'll see various stories about how getting out into nature has worked wonders for people's mental health. you don't need to go to the cairngorms, there's a surprising amount of wildlife fairly near each of us. plus viewing autumnwatch and the other -watches are beneficial in themselves.
Are you into Messiaen? (Just asking)

how about a squirrel picnic table?

5e94a6ce0b3c9b6c7e3f9d03

(although suppose you might get trouble from the crack addicts)

I'm finding this series "not without interest". Is Psychiatry working? (Radio4)
Part 1 was about being initially diagnosed - contrasting the experience of the middleclass white presenter, who had a manic psychosis leading to hospitalisation. I could relate to that, having been poisoned by the Russians shortly after Blair won the 1997 general election. There was another participant who as a black teenager also had psychosis leading to him taking a knife to school - which led him into the criminal justice system (for understandable reasons).

Part 2 today dwelt on detention in hospital. What kind of intrigued me is there were many words from Dr Shubalade Smith - old time consultant at the Maudsley, and now CBE, MBBS, FRSM, MD, FRCPsych - and with a private practice at the Sloane Court Clinic - top of her lisitgngs on Google. I had a run in with her around 2001 (as a result of a weird GP/patient blow up) but she listened, and actually somehow I got onto a detailed CBT trial for lithium users and non/other medicated people a coupe of years later which was very interesting and helpful.
Anyway Dr Shubulade was going on about schizophrenia in black people - newly arrived, first generation and in effect "indigenous". As though this was new. I'm sure I've got an old VHS cassette somewhere of a Horizon BBC2 programme on exactly this topic. From around 1989. Plus ca change as they say in Sloan Court!
Possibly this series may continue to interest - I think there are 4 more episodes, and being sound only probably on the BBC Sounds thingee for a year.

I'm finding this series "not without interest". Is Psychiatry working? (Radio4)
Part 1 was about being initially diagnosed - contrasting the experience of the middleclass white presenter, who had a manic psychosis leading to hospitalisation. I could relate to that, having been poisoned by the Russians shortly after Blair won the 1997 general election. There was another participant who as a black teenager also had psychosis leading to him taking a knife to school - which led him into the criminal justice system (for understandable reasons).

Part 2 today dwelt on detention in hospital. What kind of intrigued me is there were many words from Dr Shubalade Smith - old time consultant at the Maudsley, and now CBE, MBBS, FRSM, MD, FRCPsych - and with a private practice at the Sloane Court Clinic - top of her lisitgngs on Google. I had a run in with her around 2001 (as a result of a weird GP/patient blow up) but she listened, and actually somehow I got onto a detailed CBT trial for lithium users and non/other medicated people a coupe of years later which was very interesting and helpful.
Anyway Dr Shubulade was going on about schizophrenia in black people - newly arrived, first generation and in effect "indigenous". As though this was new. I'm sure I've got an old VHS cassette somewhere of a Horizon BBC2 programme on exactly this topic. From around 1989. Plus ca change as they say in Sloan Court!
Possibly this series may continue to interest - I think there are 4 more episodes, and being sound only probably on the BBC Sounds thingee for a year.
more fuel to the 'double bind' theory?

more fuel to the 'double bind' theory?
Shubulade Smith is what might be called "eclectic" rather than Laingian. From the Sloane Court Clinic website:

"She is recognised nationally and internationally for her work in the hormonal and reproductive effects of antipsychotic medications. Dr Smith has experience in using psychotherapeutic techniques for treating mental disorders and has used psychodynamic and cognitive therapy with her patients as well as running a psychodynamic group for people with personality disorders for two years. Her approach to psychiatric care is holistic, focusing on the complex interactions between the biological, psychological and social aspects of a person. It is her firm conviction that close attention to this complexity allows a better determination of how best to help that individual."

Since she is of Nigerian heritage I guess they particularly asked her about the black schizophrenia diagnosis/overdiagnosis issue.

I think Laing was an interesting provocateur - although the Ken Loach Laign-inspired "Family Life" must have caused a lot of suffering in families caring for young people with mental distress. Family Life (1971 British film) - Wikipedia

Nevertheless I have a great love of RD Laing

It maybe stating the blatant obvious - but is a sense of hopelessness a consequence of a loss of hopefulness ?
Do we become less hopeful as we age ( I’m 69 ) , and I was more hopeful when I was younger.
Both individually , in personal circumstances and also collectively in the wider world in general.
Can having children also be a factor , in being hopeful for their prospects on their behalf ?
( I don’t have children )
If anybody feels hopeful about general state of the world , I’d appreciate hearing….

From childhood many of us were inundated from religion , fairy tales , Hollywood , pop songs , adverts etc with the hope that we were going to be saved/rescued by some “saviour” , which could take many forms - which the "romance industry" also exploits.

Much religion and/or politics are probably most responsible in indoctrinating a “blind faith” in following “leaders” in order to be “saved”.
And that can be utilised to placate people - both individually and collectively - to accept/tolerate suffering in life with promises of "salvation" in future and/or an "after-life.

Romantic fantasies of “perfect partners” promising “happy-ever-after”.
Political leaders promising material “abundance” if elected.
Happiness always just being around the corner.
Religious saviours promising eternal life-ever-after…

As much as all that can be understood , could it still leave a lingering (unconscious) “imprint” - which capitalism exploits opportunistically.

As Patrick Ness put it in his novel A Monster Calls - “Your mind will believe comforting lies while also knowing the painful truths that make those lies necessary. And your mind will punish you for believing both.”

" For Todd McGowan - ‘the recurring fantasy within capitalism is that of attaining some degree of authentic belonging (in a romantic relationship, in a group of friends, in the nation, and so on)’

- but while capitalism ‘spawns a type of fantasy, it constantly militates against the fantasy’s realization’ because if the subject were to reach the fulfilment promised by capitalism, it would stop needing to pursue the infinite pleasures and commodities of capitalism itself.

Capitalism doesn’t just prevent us from getting or being what we want.
It also creates the desire for what we want and for who we want to be ;
before mediating, limiting and controlling those desires.

Todd McGowan : Capitalism & Desire
Capitalism and Desire | Columbia University Press

I wanted to write a "true believer" medication post - and my post-paranoid idea was that currently people are force-fed SSRI anti-depressants by GPs who are unable to secure access for their patients to "proper" mental health services.

I was pulled up short by this graph from the House of Commons library
08abb5ab-a3aa-42bd-84f6-03662840e0b4.png
This completely refutes my generalised speculations about medication, even though I am deeply prejudiced against SSRIs - having been put on prozac, sertraline and seroxat by SLaM psychiatrists in the period 1997-2001 - when in my view they should have known better.

The graph above does not correlate with SSRI miss-use. Fluoxetine was first marketed in the USA in 1988, and unheard of in the NHS until the 1990s.
As can be seen above suicide was on a downward trend in Britain in the 1980s and has been fairly stable in the last thirty years.

I myself am a devoted consumer of prophylactic lithium, with variable support from "services".
Lithium has a very good anti-suicidal reputation ("the gold standard") but only about 0.1% of the population take it - so the effect on suicide statistics must be negligible.

The interesting thing about the above suicide graphs is this - is suicide a function of testosterone or other male hormones facilitating desperate reactions to feelings of despair?
Or are women protected by their social position in some way? [kids, family ties, filial obligations]

I leave the thought hanging.

The interesting thing about the above suicide graphs is this - is suicide a function of testosterone or other male hormones facilitating desperate reactions to feelings of despair?

I'm sure there have been some studies on this -

Are men more likely than women to attempt suicide? As in more prone to not seeking any sort of help / talking about stuff?

Are men more likely to complete suicide than women by using more violent methods?

I wanted to write a "true believer" medication post - and my post-paranoid idea was that currently people are force-fed SSRI anti-depressants by GPs who are unable to secure access for their patients to "proper" mental health services.

I was pulled up short by this graph from the House of Commons library
View attachment 371500
This completely refutes my generalised speculations about medication, even though I am deeply prejudiced against SSRIs - having been put on prozac, sertraline and seroxat by SLaM psychiatrists in the period 1997-2001 - when in my view they should have known better.

The graph above does not correlate with SSRI miss-use. Fluoxetine was first marketed in the USA in 1988, and unheard of in the NHS until the 1990s.
As can be seen above suicide was on a downward trend in Britain in the 1980s and has been fairly stable in the last thirty years.

I myself am a devoted consumer of prophylactic lithium, with variable support from "services".
Lithium has a very good anti-suicidal reputation ("the gold standard") but only about 0.1% of the population take it - so the effect on suicide statistics must be negligible.

Or are women protected by their social position in some way? [kids, family ties, filial obligations]

I leave the thought hanging.

Testosterone has both an anti-anxiety and anti-depressant effect at levels that are healthy in men (including when administered to women in such levels). It would be useful to see the testosterone levels in the men who have committed suicide vs. men with no history of depression, as well as the levels in the depressed men over time.

Last edited:

Are men more likely than women to attempt suicide? As in more prone to not seeking any sort of help / talking about stuff?

Are men more likely to complete suicide than women by using more violent methods?

Yes, men are more likely to complete suicide, and tend to use different means. Often drug overdoses in women with men being more likely to hang themselves, jump off high things, or use guns where available.

Women are much more likely to attempt suicide, however.

Germaine Greer once said the only things men were better at than women were cooking and dressmaking. She may have missed one thing.

Last edited:

Dunno - but last summer someone jumped under a train at LJ on a Sunday morning and was killed.
So then they put up (or maybe I noticed for the first time) loads of discreet Samaritans signs at LJ (and Streatham - a station I also use often).

Possibly the Smaritans might be responsible for the reductions in the 1980s - but possibly not as they were founded in 1953

Its an issue that I feel in my heart - but so long as I take my
2 Structure of Li+-Ions Structure of Carbonate
I feel OK.

I did Sociology at Manchester under Professor Peter Worsley in 1972 - a Maoist so extreme he had to show his Chinese operas in the Friends Meeting House.
eg The Red Detachment of Women etc
e13-713.jpg

Notwithstanding our first term was devoted to "Suicide" by Emile Durkheim.
This is actually like a Lib Dem or Green Party tract (of 404 pages!)
Durkheim saw suicide as of four types:
Egoistic suicide.
Altruistic suicide.
Anomic suicide.
Fatalistic suicide.

Egoistic suicide
relates to the person being alone or an outsider and subsequently they see themselves alone within the world. This type of person has a low social interaction with others. This seems to be the ones we worry about and perhaps identify with.
Altruistic suicide is when social group involvement is too high, expectation from a group is being met at a very high level such as a sacrifice for a cult or religion. Another example would be a suicide bomber - or a soldier taking the bullet for a comrade.
Anomic suicide relates to a low degree of regulation and this kind of suicide is carried out during periods of considerable stress and frustration. The example we were given was Marylin Monroe to fans at the top of her profession, but to herself a victim of circumstances with no prospect of a better life
Fatalistic suicide is when people are kept under tight regulation. Where there is extreme rule in order or high expectations set upon a person or peoples in which lead them to a sense of no self or individuality. I guess this might be someone who killed themselves in a public school, or maybe (in these days) people imbibing social media critiques of their body shape or identity.

Doesn't answer your question - but certainly women seem less likely to finish the job so to speak.

I did Sociology at Manchester under Professor Peter Worsley in 1972 - a Maoist so extreme he had to show his Chinese operas in the Friends Meeting House.
eg The Red Detachment of Women etc
e13-713.jpg

Notwithstanding our first term was devoted to "Suicide" by Emile Durkheim.
This is actually like a Lib Dem or Green Party tract (of 404 pages!)
Durkheim saw suicide as of four types:
Egoistic suicide.
Altruistic suicide.
Anomic suicide.
Fatalistic suicide.

Egoistic suicide
relates to the person being alone or an outsider and subsequently they see themselves alone within the world. This type of person has a low social interaction with others. This seems to be the ones we worry about and perhaps identify with.
Altruistic suicide is when social group involvement is too high, expectation from a group is being met at a very high level such as a sacrifice for a cult or religion. Another example would be a suicide bomber - or a soldier taking the bullet for a comrade.
Anomic suicide relates to a low degree of regulation and this kind of suicide is carried out during periods of considerable stress and frustration. The example we were given was Marylin Monroe to fans at the top of her profession, but to herself a victim of circumstances with no prospect of a better life
Fatalistic suicide is when people are kept under tight regulation. Where there is extreme rule in order or high expectations set upon a person or peoples in which lead them to a sense of no self or individuality. I guess this might be someone who killed themselves in a public school, or maybe (in these days) people imbibing social media critiques of their body shape or identity.

Doesn't answer your question - but certainly women seem less likely to finish the job so to speak.

I can think of at least three more, though trying to figure if one or more fit into those templates..

Four more: (maybe 3 and a half)

Hara-kiri (honourable suicide):
Killing oneself in self-punishment and acknowledgement of personal failure

Passive-aggressive suicide: Killing oneself to hurt another who has wronged you.

Banishment suicide: Ejected from the tribe. There is nothing without the tribe. Death is inevitable soon anyhow.

Extinction-event suicide: Everyone is dead, the ecosystems have collapsed, there is nothing left to live for.

Back
Top Bottom