Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Colonoscopy - Toilet status: those updates you need to know

@hash tag But why. See above....mine took 2.5 hours as well! There was a little discomfort when they were trying to snip the polyps but I walked out immediately it was over and went straight for something to eat. Recovery time was nil.
I've had five - two colonoscopies, both with sedation and three sigmoidoscopies, two without anything and one with entonox. I found the sigmoidoscopies to be bearable, but extremely uncomfortable without anything, and a bit of gas'n'air helped with the most recent one. The recovery time was twenty minutes, so no big deal. Some people's pain thresholds are obviously greater than others. Just because you can manage it, it doesn't mean everyone can. Why do you think the hospitals offer sedation?

But why. See above....mine took 2.5 hours as well! There was a little discomfort when they were trying to snip the polyps but I walked out immediately it was over and went straight for something to eat. Recovery time was nil.
the drugs stay in your body for 24 hours.

two hours? Are you twenty feet tall?

Go for the sedative although it went a bit wrong for me, The nurse took several very painful attempts to find the vein in my hand and then seemed to give me way too much as moments later I collapsed and had no idea if I was standing up or sitting down. Not a bad buzz if that's what you were in the mood for, but not so good when you're making a scene in a hospital corridor!

hmmm ... the sedation is the last thing they give here, i'm on the table, in the robe, and sideways when they administer it and i'm out before the syringe is emptied. wonderful sensation the stuff gives too.

the drugs stay in your body for 24 hours.

two hours? Are you twenty feet tall?
I've had more than enough drugs, thank you.
Hospital will keep you back for a while if you have any drugs, it could be a long while.
No driving afterwards....no thanks.

I didn't want the sedation because a) I live alone except for my kids and I didn't want to have to get someone to collect me and sit with me afterwards and b) I really hate feeling woozy or out of control. Not going to lie that it did hurt though, I was chewing on the gas and air good and proper. The bit where they have to get the camera round the corner is painful.

I nearly went through one of these. Got as far as the prep drink and OMG you need to literally be one second from the toilet because you get no warning that you are about to "Dresden" the place whatsoever! :hmm:

In the end I missed the appointment at the hospital because I was still blowing like a jet fighter and had to get a bus in what could have been the most embarrassing public transport journey anyone could possibly go through!

My stomach issues cleared and haven't returned since so I've never done the whole procedure.

So looks like I've got this to look forwards to. :(

Apparently I get the choice between gas or injected sedative (or nothing). Which one do you think is going to make the whole thing more bearable?

Those who've had it, how did you feel the next day? OK to work?
I had nothing and went into work the same day. I farted a lot and did feel some discomfort for a while but the worst part was having my arse cheek stitched because I slid down the middle of the escalator in Liverpool pissed the night before and hit a big metal spike to stop dickheads doing such.

I thought that actually, when I was looking at a picture of the inside of my uterus where it joins up with a fallopian tube, quite pretty and I'd have loved a copy 😃
I did find it a bit odd and very surreal that they offered me a view of the inside of my Jacksie. Two very attractive nurses sticking something up my arse and asking me if I'd like to watch.

"Is there any chance you could just change channel and let me watch bargain hunt so I can try and pretend this isn't happening?"

Pre appointment today. Fasting from lunchtime the day before to lunchtime the next day doesn't sound fun. Nor do the laxatives. 3 days of senna before the main ones.

How empty were people before they went along? Ideally I'll walk to hospital before but worried thagtmight not be a sound idea if I have an accident on route. :(

Also my GP has scripted me antibiotics for a urine infection I'm not really feeling any normal symptoms for. But I can't start a 7 day course tomorrow can as this will interrupt things rather won't it?

Pre appointment today. Fasting from lunchtime the day before to lunchtime the next day doesn't sound fun. Nor do the laxatives. 3 days of senna before the main ones.
Strange it used to be no food from 8pm the day before and you could eat straight after the exam. Also it was just moviprep in the evening/ morning no need for senna.

You will feel hungry as your digestive system will be empty.

Might be better waiting until after the exam before taking the AB's as they may not stay in your system long enough to be absorbed.

How empty were people before they went along? Ideally I'll walk to hospital before but worried thagtmight not be a sound idea if I have an accident on route. :(
First time I got turned away as the laxatives did not work very well; I threw them up.
2nd time a different thing was given; the quacks complimented me on how clean and empty I was :thumbs:

Back
Top Bottom