Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Coldharbour Lane, Brixton - news and updates

The name ‘Community’ fibre is a bit rich - isn’t it just a private company making money like any other? I looked up their prices and they are comparable to Hyperoptic which we have.

I use Community Fibre, which is one of the 3-4 smaller fibre to the home providers. The day to day service itself is good, exactly what I pay for. The installation was as promised. The after sale customer service was awful.

Someone sent me an article on these so called "alt nets" a week or so ago from the FT and basically the sector doesn't seem super healthy. Everyone is racing to build and worried about running out of money before getting to a sustainable size. Turning on the services and the supporting customers of the services seems to be problem.

Apparently they are all expecting most of them to go merge, go busy or be bought out by one of the big providers like Virgin.
Funnily enough only G Network is able to supply my bit of Coldharbour Lane at present - though Community Fibre and Hyperoptic both invite you to "register an interest"
There are also spoof sites out there asking you to check for G Network speeds then offering the old faithfuls - BT, Virgin, Vodaphone, EE, Shell and Uncle Tom Cobbly and all - all being fibre to cabinet at fibre to cabinet speed.

I doubt anyone can remember but when cable TV and phone was rolled out the country was divided into chunks by borough. Lambeth. Lewsham, Southwark and Greenwich got Videotron. Wandsworth, Merton and Croydon got United Artists.

I know there are some nerdy types on here. For a special treat look at this The Telecommunications (Licence Modification) (Cable and Local Delivery Operator Licences) Regulations 1999 No. 2454

Amazing they ever thought so many local TV stations and networks would work. They didn't learn either - there are very few "local" Freeview stations on Freeview channel 8.

I have to say most people I know who subscribed to cable TV and phone back then kept it - for the football.
And they seem to be the sort who can't fiddle about with an aerial and are happy to pay a premium price for a premium product.

Much like most Brixton pub customers apparently.

Signed up to G networks for their 6 months free/ cheaper than BT after that. (24£ a month compared to bt being 40£) Installation took awhile to arrange but when the date was sorted they definitely delivered. Their techs where very obliging and ensured we got the Wi-Fi hub where we wanted it. Speeds have been x5 Bt.
I use Community Fibre, which is one of the 3-4 smaller fibre to the home providers. The day to day service itself is good, exactly what I pay for. The installation was as promised. The after sale customer service was awful.

Someone sent me an article on these so called "alt nets" a week or so ago from the FT and basically the sector doesn't seem super healthy. Everyone is racing to build and worried about running out of money before getting to a sustainable size. Turning on the services and the supporting customers of the services seems to be problem.

Apparently they are all expecting most of them to go merge, go busy or be bought out by one of the big providers like Virgin.

Signed up to G networks for their 6 months free/ cheaper than BT after that. (24£ a month compared to bt being 40£) Installation took awhile to arrange but when the date was sorted they definitely delivered. Their techs where very obliging and ensured we got the Wi-Fi hub where we wanted it. Speeds have been x5 Bt.
I've ordered it. £12 per month for year 1. Amazing, if it works.

The name ‘Community’ fibre is a bit rich - isn’t it just a private company making money like any other? I looked up their prices and they are comparable to Hyperoptic which we have.

Oh absolutely.

But they're the only one on our street. Think was done a year or more back, long before we moved here

Our old street, around the corner, had G Network installation whilst we lived there which was pretty disruptive but then they didn't actually roll it out for a while and we were planning to move anyway.

Wonderful news - Hyperoptic are obviously going to go live in Coldharbour Lane!
Today's van is a Hyperoptic one with two Hyperoptic staff going up and down the road with large phones/instruments.

I have community fibre. Very happy with it so far. At least gets me away from Talktalk. You would not believe the shit I've had from them. Took two months to sort it out, and get rid of them. :mad::mad:

Last edited:
Sorry to abuse this thread with my Micro-site concerns - but I am not allowed on NextDoor as not having a mobile phone they cannot identify me.

294 Coldharbour Lane - offered at auction n February this year - but withdrawn prior. Guide price was £1.5 million.
Surprised to day to see a Southwark Council team turn up this morning and clear the house - including disinfectant, masks etc.
There were 8-10 people living in there who had been Lambeth Council tenants awaiting permanent housing. One had been there more than 5 years.

Apparently no more. Changes afoot.
But why a Southwark Council team doing house clearance in Lambeth?
They were there all day - so not just binmen doing a job on the side (I asume)
I did ask one of the chaps taking a breather on the house steps and got what the Police call a "No comment" interview.

I have to say most people I know who subscribed to cable TV and phone back then kept it - for the football.
And they seem to be the sort who can't fiddle about with an aerial and are happy to pay a premium price for a premium product.

Much like most Brixton pub customers apparently.
oh no is this me? except we dont have any football channels. Back in the days of analog when we had an indoor aerial extended with a coathanger we were always having to fiddle with it and the signal wasn't good. I live in a basement with nowhere to put an arial and I just don't understand the tech, struggled to connect our telebox. I dont think have a premium product - just basic virgin tv - but I seem to be paying premium prices. Community fibre are bombarding us with sales stuff - but I dont understand what they are offering or if we can get tv via them? or do any of the other companies provide tv and internet? argggh! I hate this century.

But why a Southwark Council team doing house clearance in Lambeth?

it's not unknown for a council to have some council homes outside its own area - there's a big city of london corporation estate off the old kent road, and i know we had some when i did housing benefits at an inner london council (it got complicated, as they had to claim housing benefit from us, but council tax benefit from the council where they lived) - single properties may be a bit more unusual, though

oh no is this me? except we dont have any football channels. Back in the days of analog when we had an indoor aerial extended with a coathanger we were always having to fiddle with it and the signal wasn't good. I live in a basement with nowhere to put an arial and I just don't understand the tech, struggled to connect our telebox. I dont think have a premium product - just basic virgin tv - but I seem to be paying premium prices. Community fibre are bombarding us with sales stuff - but I dont understand what they are offering or if we can get tv via them? or do any of the other companies provide tv and internet? argggh! I hate this century.
There are indoor aerials for modern digital TVs. I have this one https://www.amazon.co.uk/RGTech-Monarch-50-Indoor-Freeview-Black/dp/B01M658GTW Is there somewhere above ground it could go? It's plastic-covered, so if it was outside it wouldn't rust. You could connect it with an extension lead Coaxial TV Aerial Cable Extension RF Fly Lead Digital Male to Male Coax 1m - 50m | eBay

There are indoor aerials for modern digital TVs. I have this one https://www.amazon.co.uk/RGTech-Monarch-50-Indoor-Freeview-Black/dp/B01M658GTW Is there somewhere above ground it could go? It's plastic-covered, so if it was outside it wouldn't rust. You could connect it with an extension lead Coaxial TV Aerial Cable Extension RF Fly Lead Digital Male to Male Coax 1m - 50m | eBay
Just switched from BT Infinity (60£) a month to GNetworks (24£) a month, first 6 months free and they are 5x faster. No landline though, never used the BT one.

Which channels do you want?

we have a ground floor extension - where sky tested the reception years ago. Apparently our tree and the all the surrounding builings affected the signal. Would it be the same with any aerial or was that just Sky?

Sky recommended we site an aerial on the roof - which we don't own and have no access too - which is why we went with cable instead.
Which channels do you want?
the grlf really enjoys 'At the races' showing the horse racing all day. It like a bookies round here. Otherwise I suppose the terrestial / freeview ones would be ok as we seem to watch BBC and C4 the most. And netflix.

At the races must be quite expensive if that's the only channel you watch which you couldn't get for free. Do you buy box sets and movies?

What's your monthly Virgin bill? And your Netlfix bill?

Is your Virgin broadband service good? Put your post code in here to see if you can get Gnet https://www.g.network/address-checker

Do you also have a landline?

I think the Sky thingie on the roof would have been a satellite dish which has to point precisely at a certain satellite. An indoor aerial for your TV wouldn't be nearly as fussy. Just stick it on a wall in your ground floor extension. Sometimes if I can't get a strong signal for a particular channel I move it a little...dangle it off a light switch or a picture frame or something. It weighs next to nothing.

Thanks David Clapson. I'm far too mean to buy any movies or tv stuff and we get netflix for free on someone elses account. Virgin is £54 + for broadband tv and house phone. We are planning on getting rid of the landline anyway and replacing it with a second mobile with better reception (virgin mobile signal here is really dodgy too). We'll have to look into what racing channels we can get/buy, its the grlfs main pasttime and keeps her endlessly amused 364 days a year - and jumping up and down down shouting come one and get in is her main form of exercise too.

Thanks for info re aerials, they are a lot cheaper now (they were really expensive 20 years ago when there was no way of knowing if they would even work) and thanks for Gnetwork info - I'd never heard of them

Not clear whether it refers to the colour or the railway it backs onto but either way it seems like an appropriate use of the term "vibrant" for this maisonette on Coldharbour Lane for £700K.
Funnily enough the decor of that property as shown in the estate agent's photos is rather like my own place - roughly 10 doors down - was when I moved in in 1986.
I spent hundreds of pounds on carpentry having cupboards put in to cover the bare brick walls.
Presumably Right Move would say I made a terrible mistake 36 years ago.

There are about 4 properties suddenly on sale down here in SW9 8SE right now - which is quite unusual.

PS regarding railway vibration - surely it must be time for compensation? After all according to the adverts you can now get compensated if someone sold you a diesel car!

Thanks David Clapson. I'm far too mean to buy any movies or tv stuff and we get netflix for free on someone elses account. Virgin is £54 + for broadband tv and house phone. We are planning on getting rid of the landline anyway and replacing it with a second mobile with better reception (virgin mobile signal here is really dodgy too). We'll have to look into what racing channels we can get/buy, its the grlfs main pasttime and keeps her endlessly amused 364 days a year - and jumping up and down down shouting come one and get in is her main form of exercise too.

Thanks for info re aerials, they are a lot cheaper now (they were really expensive 20 years ago when there was no way of knowing if they would even work) and thanks for Gnetwork info - I'd never heard of them
GNet is an amazing bargain - see Madolesance's posts. By coincidence I am having it installed right now. There are two engineers here! Free for the first 6 months, then £24 per month for the next 6 months. 1 year contract, which you can cancel for any reason in the first 3 months. After that you can cancel if there is "cessation of service". Before I signed I asked them to define cessation, and said I would consider it to be loss of service for 24 hours. No reply, but I think it covers me.

You don't need a landline for GNet. I'm getting rid of mine this month, hooray!

Lebara Mobile is dirt cheap with no commitment and uses the Vodafone network.

GNet has no TV packages. As i'm sure you know, to get the Sky gee gees you need the whole Sky Sports package, and there are no cheap ways to get it. But it sounds like you get lots of fun from it. I had a look at Moneysavingexpert.com and the only tip I could find for your scenario is to call Virgin and haggle. Tell them you're moving to GNet! I bet they'll hate that.

GNet is an amazing bargain - see Madolesance's posts. By coincidence I am having it installed right now. There are two engineers here! Free for the first 6 months, then £24 per month for the next 6 months. 1 year contract, which you can cancel for any reason in the first 3 months. After that you can cancel if there is "cessation of service". Before I signed I asked them to define cessation, and said I would consider it to be loss of service for 24 hours. No reply, but I think it covers me.

You don't need a landline for GNet. I'm getting rid of mine this month, hooray!

Lebara Mobile is dirt cheap with no commitment and uses the Vodafone network.

GNet has no TV packages. As i'm sure you know, to get the Sky gee gees you need the whole Sky Sports package, and there are no cheap ways to get it. But it sounds like you get lots of fun from it. I had a look at Moneysavingexpert.com and the only tip I could find for your scenario is to call Virgin and haggle. Tell them you're moving to GNet! I bet they'll hate that.
I appreciate you are now a convert and true believer in G Network - but for people who want landline phone, cable TV and internet I think Virgin is reasonable value - and faster than a BT based package.

On a related matter since you have clearly done research - can you hang onto an idiosyncratic email address from a traditional supplier (in my case Force 9) if you have pimped to G Network?

I appreciate you are now a convert and true believer in G Network - but for people who want landline phone, cable TV and internet I think Virgin is reasonable value - and faster than a BT based package.

On a related matter since you have clearly done research - can you hang onto an idiosyncratic email address from a traditional supplier (in my case Force 9) if you have pimped to G Network?
Not quite a convert...waiting for holes to be drilled in the wall. Not looking forward to that. And as you say, GNet is just broadband, nothing more. I get all my box sets and films from Pirate Bay, but I appreciate that wouldn't suit everyone.

I would never tie myself to an email service from an ISP. It's a trap. I went with Gmail eons ago. There might be a way to reroute your Force 9 emails to a Gmail account. You could ask at the Plusnet community forum. Forum

Reactions: CH1
Back
Top Bottom