Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Coldharbour Lane, Brixton - news and updates

It looks like the glory days of Coldharbour Lane are well and truly over.

Dogstar - in administration, barely open and usually empty when it does bother to open its doors
Rum Kitchen - closed and boarded up
Brewdog - closed and boarded up
Albert - a pale shadow of its former busy self
Le Bab - closed
Brixton Village - up for sale with an uncertain future
Asmara - been closed for years
Prince of Wales - always seems quiet when I pass and I think the first floor area is now closed?

Maybe it's just a load of bad luck and businesses that compare badly to what else is on offer in Brixton now (including further down Coldharbour Lane opposite the barrier block where Okan and Banh Banh are). Pre 'Village' there were so few places to eat out that they could survive even if they were a bit shit. We went to Asmara years ago and it was OK but there were always other places that appealed more (and there are two Eritrean restaurants at Oval that are meant to be really good if that's what you're looking for)

The Dogstar has long been a pretty tatty and unwelcoming place. It might have had some atmosphere when it's rammed but it's not been a pleasant place when it isn't for many years.
Rum Kitchen - whole chain went under
Brewdog closed a load of bars across London
Le Bab - there were suddenly 3 kebab shops on Coldharbour Lane. The largest/most restaurant like (Mezze Me) has survived.
NanBan I'm guessing lost focus after the founder left. A lot of restaurants seem to have a lifespan - if they're not part of a chain when the owner tires they close. It was expensive and there are two other Ramen places (Koi and Okan) nearby.

PoW and Albert must have really suffered while the academy was closed (though it seems to have a busy few months of gigs lined up now)

Maybe it's just a load of bad luck and businesses that compare badly to what else is on offer in Brixton now (including further down Coldharbour Lane opposite the barrier block where Okan and Banh Banh are). Pre 'Village' there were so few places to eat out that they could survive even if they were a bit shit. We went to Asmara years ago and it was OK but there were always other places that appealed more (and there are two Eritrean restaurants at Oval that are meant to be really good if that's what you're looking for)

The Dogstar has long been a pretty tatty and unwelcoming place. It might have had some atmosphere when it's rammed but it's not been a pleasant place when it isn't for many years.
Rum Kitchen - whole chain went under
Brewdog closed a load of bars across London
Le Bab - there were suddenly 3 kebab shops on Coldharbour Lane. The largest/most restaurant like (Mezze Me) has survived.
NanBan I'm guessing lost focus after the founder left. A lot of restaurants seem to have a lifespan - if they're not part of a chain when the owner tires they close. It was expensive and there are two other Ramen places (Koi and Okan) nearby.

PoW and Albert must have really suffered while the academy was closed (though it seems to have a busy few months of gigs lined up now)
The Academy hit the Brixton hospitality trade really hard, although I remain convinced that with the right promoter (and promotion) bars can prosper.

Look at the Windmill - a fairly hefty hike out of Brixton down and then down a side road and yet the place still does well - due in no small part to the work of twistedAM

And I still think that I could have made a successful night at the Dogstar if they didn't keep changing GMs every few months and letting the place fall apart. And if the Albert demolished that fucking ridiculous DJ booth and put the stage and a half decent PA back in, there'd be no shortage of decent acts wanting to play.

I don't really know much about restaurants though.

A depressingly familiar story emerges at the opening of this murder trial ... and it is revealed that the fatal attack was captured on dashcam footage:

Keelen Morris Wong Murder: Court shown stabbing captured on car's dashcam

The trial continues.

No evidence appears to have been called on behalf of the three defendants facing the charge of murder (alternatively, anyone can post details of the reported defence case(s) if this is inaccurate).

It is possible that the trial judge may be able to send the jury out to consider their verdicts on Friday 4 October 2024.

Kyiza Sandiford has now been found guilty of the murder of the late Keelen Morris Wong on 3 October 2023, which was allegedly carried out in revenge for the murder of the late Ronaldo Scott on 4 September 2023.

Kyiza Sandiford his two juvenile co-defendants were acquitted of murder.

One hopes that the young people involved in the continuing slaughter will pause to reflect on the effect that their activities are having on their own friends and families:

The Late Keelen Morris Wong: Murderer caught after stabbing filmed by dashcam

Back
Top Bottom