Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Coldharbour Lane, Brixton - news and updates

we have a ground floor extension - where sky tested the reception years ago. Apparently our tree and the all the surrounding builings affected the signal. Would it be the same with any aerial or was that just Sky?

Sky recommended we site an aerial on the roof - which we don't own and have no access too - which is why we went with cable instead.

the grlf really enjoys 'At the races' showing the horse racing all day. It like a bookies round here. Otherwise I suppose the terrestial / freeview ones would be ok as we seem to watch BBC and C4 the most. And netflix.
Do you have any techie friends?

Because I think a Kodi Stick might be the solution for you if you have a TV that has USB slots.

v your Do you have any techie friends?

Because I think a Kodi Stick might be the solution for you if you have a TV that has USB slots.
What is Kodi? Sounds like a nerd's Roku.
The Kodi guide I just read says a lot about using Virtual VPNs - which sounds a bit paranoid. Why would you need to conceal your choice of viewing from prying eyes?
The guide akso implied that your ISP might ban streaming by a Kodi device. Why might that be?

I'm not sure if I had Virgin cable TV that I would necessarily be tempted to cancel the contract in favour of a service that needs a Virtual VPN to avoid prying eyes!

BTW I have Roku and that works on Youtube and iPlayer - but the Roku extras are a bit lame.
You get France 24 and DW TV (German world service) - both of whcih just have 4 minute clips about specific news items - not continuous coverage.
The SciFi Channel on Roku is great though - but is all that Plan 9 from outer space stuff that used to be on "The Worst Films Ever Made" on Channel 4 when it first started.

The Kodi guide I just read says a lot about using Virtual VPNs - which sounds a bit paranoid. Why would you need to conceal your choice of viewing from prying eyes?
The guide akso implied that your ISP might ban streaming by a Kodi device. Why might that be?

I should disambiguate here - there's a difference between the Kodi project (an open-source media player with a TV-friendly interface) and a "Kodi box" (meaning Kodi the media player bundled with a bunch of unofficial add-ons, usually for the purpose of obtaining access to stuff through unconventional means).

VPNs are commonly used to work around what's called geo-blocking - for instance, BBC's iplayer is accessible to anyone coming from a UK-allocated IP address; come at it from a US IP address and no Attenorough for you. However, a VPN can bounce your connection from the US to a UK exit node which makes it look like you're coming in from the UK, thus granting you access. Conversely, you might want to sign up to a US-only VOD service when you're living outside of the States.

There's also the grey-market Kodi add-ons that need the use of a VPN for access because the service itself is flat-out illegal.

I should disambiguate here - there's a difference between the Kodi project (an open-source media player with a TV-friendly interface) and a "Kodi box" (meaning Kodi the media player bundled with a bunch of unofficial add-ons, usually for the purpose of obtaining access to stuff through unconventional means).

VPNs are commonly used to work around what's called geo-blocking - for instance, BBC's iplayer is accessible to anyone coming from a UK-allocated IP address; come at it from a US IP address and no Attenorough for you. However, a VPN can bounce your connection from the US to a UK exit node which makes it look like you're coming in from the UK, thus granting you access. Conversely, you might want to sign up to a US-only VOD service when you're living outside of the States.

There's also the grey-market Kodi add-ons that need the use of a VPN for access because the service itself is flat-out illegal.
All the nudge nudge illegal Kodi stuff...do they mean torrenting? Sounds like an overcomplicated alternative to Tor and Pirate Bay, both of which cost nothing, and don't need a VPN

All the nudge nudge illegal Kodi stuff...do they mean torrenting? Sounds like an overcomplicated alternative to Tor and Pirate Bay, both of which cost nothing, and don't need a VPN

I don't think so, no - AIUI it's largely plugins that will let you stream stuff from Dubious Sources - either by VPNs to dodge geo-blocking, or VPNs to a stream of someone re-broadcasting content over tinterwebs. Don't touch any of it myself but I hear the latter is very popular for live sports.

Obv. if you want to torrent stuff on the side and have kodi or whatever display it you don't need any dodgy stuff in kodi to facilitate that (although IIRC there's a number of kodi add-ons to facilitate torrenting stuff if that's your bag).

Do you have any techie friends?

no idea what either of you are talking about. My neice who connected the telebox lives hundreds of miles away. You lot are the nearest thing I have to techie friends.

So there are clever ways of getting live football and boxing for free? Didn't know that. AverageJoe's suggestion for friendofdorothy's nags would be great if it can be made to work. A saving of £300 per annum, to be blown at William Hill.
Is this what that translates to in english? buscador please investigate

You lie! They are shit and regularly drip out for no reason. I miss BT!

Signed up to G networks for their 6 months free/ cheaper than BT after that. (24£ a month compared to bt being 40£) Installation took awhile to arrange but when the date was sorted they definitely delivered. Their techs where very obliging and ensured we got the Wi-Fi hub where we wanted it. Speeds have been x5 Bt.

I wish they'd either get on and have a proper fight or shut the fuck up with all the endless macho shouting.

I suppose if The Police aren't going to do anything about it the people involved will just take the piss more and more.
I do find it weird how the police have never got involved because it must be absolutely deafening for those living close by.

I've never complained about the noise as a point of principle, but this is the loudest, regular, early morning sound system I've ever heard in nearly 30 years. And some of the time there's only about 15 drunk people keeping up half the neighbourhood.

I do find it weird how the police have never got involved because it must be absolutely deafening for those living close by.

I've never complained about the noise as a point of principle, but this is the loudest, regular, early morning sound system I've ever heard in nearly 30 years. And some of the time there's only about 15 drunk people keeping up half the neighbourhood.
it is the worst I've ever experienced and because of the new(ish) flats surrounding us it echo's both front and back so there's no escape. the police have never been interested - it is a council noise pollution problem even though they have a fully set up festival kitchen and sometimes a bar set up as well, council hours for noise pollution is between 9 a.m and 5 p.m very useful. it is Jamaican Independence weekend which is a normal party time there and completely expected, however the current Sunday to Thursday crew can fuck right off

it is the worst I've ever experienced and because of the new(ish) flats surrounding us it echo's both front and back so there's no escape. the police have never been interested - it is a council noise pollution problem even though they have a fully set up festival kitchen and sometimes a bar set up as well, council hours for noise pollution is between 9 a.m and 5 p.m very useful. it is Jamaican Independence weekend which is a normal party time there and completely expected, however the current Sunday to Thursday crew can fuck right off
not that I've ever contacted the police, just watched them go by

I saw how it should be done - in Grenada 1981. The revolutionary government used to throw "sports days" with mega sized sound systems doing Reggae. Calypso seemed to be banned - too satirical perhaps?
Anyway government expected people to be doing this between 6 am and 6pm (ie daylight hours) - and freeroaders and capitalist lackeys outstaying their welcome would be taken to court no doubt.
I stayed in a house opposite the courthouse in Grenville and people were prosecuted for shouting and swearing in the cinema! Still even though it was a Marxist government the magistrate sat beneath a portrait of the Queen.
Bonus video: Grenada Tourist board - a drive round Grenville.
In 40 years nothing seems to have changed - including the government's emphasis on the fish market and the nutmeg pool, not the beaches!

somebody has nicked all the doorbells (5 in total) off the wall outside our gate no evidence of them being smashed, unless they had a dustpan and brush with them, just gone, if someone approaches you selling secondhand doorbells, they're ours

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom