Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Coldharbour Lane, Brixton - news and updates

Ron Higgins started a thread on MOBS Facebook group with this picture of the Loughborough Park Tavern (formerly opposite Brixton Cake Shop). There is a thread on here somewhere, but Anthony Pike on MOBS asking if it might be the same architect as Carlton Mansions - the façade is a bit similar. Gramsci
Loughborough tavern.jpg

Ron Higgins started a thread on MOBS Facebook group with this picture of the Loughborough Park Tavern (formerly opposite Brixton Cake Shop). There is a thread on here somewhere, but Anthony Pike on MOBS asking if it might be the same architect as Carlton Mansions - the façade is a bit similar. Gramsci
View attachment 342526
Thread is here: Royal Veteran/Loughborough Park Tavern on Coldharbour Lane/ Moorlands Rd SW9

You posted:

Apparently the firm who produced the design for the rebuilt pub was Eedle and Meyers of 8 Railway Approach Southwark. They did several south London local pubs including the Dover Castle, Little Surrey Street and the Larkhall Tavern, in Clapham.

Reactions: CH1
Developers at work at 316 Coldharbour Lane. Walked past today and the front door was wide open
I'd been prepared to seize the moment, and here are a couple of photos of the shell of 316 with operatives lurking in the bowels. I have had to reduce contrast using an old WinXP programme - the camera flash wouldn't fire - which maybe was just as well because the owner/worker/modern slave got very agitated and started shouting at me in Chinese, so I waved goodbye and legged it to Streatham.
On the Lambeth incompetence thread mentioned what was going on here - and that a Lambeth Building Control person told a neighbour - on the phone - "Check what they are allowed to do online, then get back to me!"
Actually there is not much of the building there at the moment in this mid-terrace property.
I wonder if they are insured? If they make a mistake and damage 318 and/or 314 who will sort THAT out?
The latest planning application I can find on this property was turned down in 2020. The developer is a new owner who does not think planning or building control, affect them I reckon
316chl-1.jpg316CHL-2.jpg1664659664333.png
Thanks to editor for Buzz photo 2020, teuchter is this of interest? I reckon there's every Health and Safety breach in the book going on here (speaking as one who failed a NEBOSH course at Southwark College!)

Developers at work at 316 Coldharbour Lane. Walked past today and the front door was wide open
I'd been prepared to seize the moment, and here are a couple of photos of the shell of 316 with operatives lurking in the bowels. I have had to reduce contrast using an old WinXP programme - the camera flash wouldn't fire - which maybe was just as well because the owner/worker/modern slave got very agitated and started shouting at me in Chinese, so I waved goodbye and legged it to Streatham.
On the Lambeth incompetence thread mentioned what was going on here - and that a Lambeth Building Control person told a neighbour - on the phone - "Check what they are allowed to do online, then get back to me!"
Actually there is not much of the building there at the moment in this mid-terrace property.
I wonder if they are insured? If they make a mistake and damage 318 and/or 314 who will sort THAT out?
The latest planning application I can find on this property was turned down in 2020. The developer is a new owner who does not think planning or building control, affect them I reckon
View attachment 345400View attachment 345401View attachment 345402
Thanks to editor for Buzz photo 2020, teuchter is this of interest? I reckon there's every Health and Safety breach in the book going on here (speaking as one who failed a NEBOSH course at Southwark College!)
Further to all this - there was a building control application on 18th July. No drawings. I've never looked these up so I don't know how public this info is. But definitely no planning application from the present owner - and the previous 2 applications - and appeals - were refused.

Maybe this new owner is familiar with "The Art of the Deal" - like - do you want it repaired - or do you want it to fall down? And how about a repair grant?
316 building control.jpg

I saw that house from the train (ie from the back) the other day and noticed that there wasn't much of its insides left.

If, as the building control notice says, it's just an internal rebuild, then they don't necessarily have to get planning permission as well.

And if that notice has been made to building control, then there ought to be a building control inspector coming to site periodically to look at what they are doing.

If someone's worried that they have made the building itself unsafe, then they can report it to Lambeth

If the worry is that the site is being operated in a way that puts people working there at risk then I think it's the HSE

I reckon if I lived next door I would be pleased that they are finally doing some work to fix it up. Obviously if I saw something they were doing that thought was going to lead to something collapsing, then my feelings would be different.

Reactions: CH1
What's the story with the continual litter/ rubbish along Coldharbour from Valencia Place to Loughborough Park. The rubbish bin situation is getting out of control - so messy every morning!

What's the story with the continual litter/ rubbish along Coldharbour from Valencia Place to Loughborough Park. The rubbish bin situation is getting out of control - so messy every morning!
On my side (north ie railway side) its because we don't have front gardens - so the wheelie bins live on the street permanently.
Sorry about that - maybe Lambeth Vestry planning committee should have had some foresight when the buildings were erected in the 1850s/1860s.

Thanks but for no need for the sarcasm - turns people off using these forums.

I was trying to see how the rubbish situation could be improved. There's always bags of rubbish that are not picked up by the binmen and not enough street bins for litter from what I can see - especially the block around Brixton Station Road/ Gresham Road/ Coldharbour Lane/ Valencia Place. It would be nice to know if anyone had any luck with the council if they have any plans to improve the situation as they have not responded to my email(s).

I was trying to see how the rubbish situation could be improved. There's always bags of rubbish that are not picked up by the binmen and not enough street bins for litter from what I can see - especially the block around Brixton Station Road/ Gresham Road/ Coldharbour Lane/ Valencia Place. It would be nice to know if anyone had any luck with the council if they have any plans to improve the situation as they have not responded to my email(s).

Have you tried emailing local Cllrs? It's in Coldharbour ward.

They are more likely to get answer from officers

When Council refused to collect large bulky waste from my place I complained to Cllrs and hey presto suddenly officers agreed to do this from my part of Coldharbour lane. ( A service residents pay extra for).

The stretch you are talking about from Valencia place up to Barrington road corner often has bags of rubbish along the pavement.

Not coldharbour, but i have had great success in getting flytipped rubbish to disappear by using the ‘fixmystreet’ website up around myatts fields. It both opens a ticket with the council and shames them, and it also gives you a handy link to send to councillors if it gets ignored for too long.

Last edited:

If it's outside the shops, some have different contractors. Lambeth only collect residential rubbish for free.
The three new blocks behind the shops (Coal Lane) were built by Taylor Wimpey. Possibly they might be responsible for the rubbish collections - if they haven't sold the block on.

I recently discovered that if your bin gets lost or stolen or damaged, it's £57 to get another. Which might explain why some people prefer to leave out bags.

I recently discovered that if your bin gets lost or stolen or damaged, it's £57 to get another. Which might explain why some people prefer to leave out bags.
When Lambeth introduced wheelie bins in 1994 (or so) we were told we were not allowed to leave out black bags:
Health and Safety (SHARPS!!!)
Foxes

To tidy up BoulieB 's and my discussion re rubbish and wheelie bins on Coldharbour Lane, here is a letter sent out by the council to all residents in Coldharbour Lane in 1997. So it looks like wheelies came in AFTER this. Apologies for mis-remembering the date.

In any case all the issues in the letter still apply. Which actually comes down to the fact that Lambeth have never had enforcement - merely threats. I think I'd better dump those 2 mattresses on the pavement whilst the going is good!
street rubbish pre wheelies.jpg
PS I think Doug Perry is still at his desk! (unless he is working from home of course)

I heard two shots fired in Coldharbour Lane tonight, but luckily no one was hurt

shots-coldharbour-1.jpg

What with the Railton Road shooting it makes me wonder whether there are more guns around.
There certsinly seems to be more violence given that there was a stabbing on the tube only a few days ago.

If those 'drive by' losers hadn't been such pathetic shots, it could have been a double murder.

Hello to this thread. Hope it's the right place for this query. (Waves to editor )

Am considering houses on the roads behind barrier block off somerlayton rd. We want to move somewhere more accessible, on the flat and more suited to getting old in without steep steps outside.

How 'safe' do people think that estate is now? Anyone live or walk through there? Especially like to hear from other women or queer people how they feel, as we are both.

How does crime or anti soc behaviour compare with other bits of the borough? Gangs on the streets? We had hellish neighbours over here (Herne hill side of the tracks) for over a decade and don't want that again.

I don't really want to move away from the area and I hate suburbia. Why people want to retire to the countryside is beyond me, it far too dark and there's not enough buses. Can't drive so I want somewhere that a can shuffle to shops or night life on my walking frame when I'm 80.

Hello to this thread. Hope it's the right place for this query. (Waves to editor )

Am considering houses on the roads behind barrier block off somerlayton rd. We want to move somewhere more accessible, on the flat and more suited to getting old in without steep steps outside.

How 'safe' do people think that estate is now? Anyone live or walk through there? Especially like to hear from other women or queer people how they feel, as we are both.

How does crime or anti soc behaviour compare with other bits of the borough? Gangs on the streets? We had hellish neighbours over here (Herne hill side of the tracks) for over a decade and don't want that again.

I don't really want to move away from the area and I hate suburbia. Why people want to retire to the countryside is beyond me, it far too dark and there's not enough buses. Can't drive so I want somewhere that a can shuffle to shops or night life on my walking frame when I'm 80.
To be frank Id say avoid it.

I live on street property nearby. Which is fine. The few times Ive been in that area ( to pick up Amazon deliveries} and I would avoid it. Whilst being low rise there have been issues around that area.

I'm lucky where I am on CHL main road. Neighbours are fine. Mix of owners and social housing. Only ( non) problem is traffic noise and drunked people walking down the road late at night. Which does not bother me.

There's definitely no shortage of incidents around the estate - almost always gang related - but I've know people who have lived there years without any bother.
I'd definitely take a flat there if I had to move out of where I am, but maybe I've just got used to walking past the police tape.

Is there any further news from Shane and Sophie on how they are getting on with the sale of their dream house in Coldharbour Lane?

PRI_184777859.jpg

‘We saw the neighbourhood as a more flavoursome Notting Hill’

‘There are a lot of real characters around, and we were drawn to the place by the constant vibrant, bank holiday weekend feel, and the global cuisine on offer. Plus, we knew the area was on the up.’

How times change in the home of "the constant vibrant, bank holiday weekend feel, and the global cuisine on offer":

"Coldharbour Lane residents say the area gets a bad reputation but the real danger is gentrification ..."

Life on the South London street once labelled 'Britain's most dangerous' that's now rammed with £1million houses

2_london365-brixton.jpg

(Source: Facundo Arrizabalaga/MyLondon)

"Esme Thawe says Brixton used to be more musical with people dancing down the street"

South London man bought house for £5,000 on 'Britain's most dangerous' street - now thanks to gentrification it's worth £1m

1_FMA_MYL_08261.jpg

(Source: Facundo Arrizabalaga/MyLondon)

"Hasan Rezvan bought his four-bed house for the price of a very cheap deposit"

Back
Top Bottom