Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Coldharbour Lane, Brixton - news and updates

Looks like the Cake Shop opposite the Barrier Block has baked its last bun, and the trendy estate agents seem to have given up the ghost too.

Seems the scourge of 5G Smart Water Meters has now hit Coldharbour Lane.
Not sure what to think about it.
Theoretically I ought to be better off than paying a flat rate based on the rateable value of the property in 1973.

What has pissed me off is the way this was handled by Thames Water.
A couple of letters saying work was being done in the street - and reassuringly also stating that it doesn't affect you if you have not been specifically notified.

This morning I see a massive Thames Water van outside - and a note stuffed through the letter box saying "You can now use your water". I put my head out the front door sand asked what was going on
"Oh, didn't they give you a knock" says the cheeky chappy putting the paving stones back down.

I rang Thames Water metering and had a bizarre but friendly conversation with a lady who told me she live in Ruislip in a large house with a big family, and her next door neighour with no family will be benefiting. She also said that Lambeth was an area where smart water meters have been mandated COMPULSORY.

Looks like I'm stuck with a huge Thames Water vehicle blotting out the sunlight in my kitchen for the rest of the day. That is an insult to injury for me - the reason I haven't bee able to change my dead washing machine for 18 months (apart from Covid) is the aggro of sorting out a contractor to do the work in a controlled parking area - where Thames Water is immune.

Is the a Smart Water Meter thread? I garther the only way you can read your smart meter is to log onto the Thames Water website and check. Ideal for computer non-savvy pensioners and the like. Just found this by the way. Seems Arqiva can make Thames Water smart metering work - despite being unable to supply BBC Four HD to Coldharbour Lane.

Mark Cooper, who heads up smart metering at Thames Water, describes reaching the milestone of half a million devices as a 'gamechanger' for the company and for the environment. He talks to Utility Week about the progress and challenges of the programme.

Thames was the first UK water company to begin widescale deployment of fully smart water meters, known as AMI or advanced metering infrastructure. These differ from the automatic meter reading (AMR) such as drive-by reads that have been adopted more widely across the country, which are themselves a significant step up in terms of usage data compared to manually reading meters in the street.
Over the past six years the company has increased its meter penetration from around 34 per cent to 49 per cent, which Cooper explains was compulsory under the water resource management plan.
“Metering really is the cornerstone of our strategy around our water resources management plan,” Cooper says. “It’s about really punching home the message of taking less water from the
environment and securing water supplies for future generations.”

Moving customers to a meter generally results in water savings, however Cooper says the granular level of data gives further incremental saving when moving to an AMI smart meter.

“We hope to move up from what is a standard 12 per cent saving going from unmetered to metered and pushing that up to 15-17 per cent saving with the smart meters by giving customers an additional view of their usage.”

thames-smart-meter-300x200.jpg
The data available to Thames on usage has shot up from the two million reads from the ‘dumb’ meter estate the business previously had access to, to 12 million every day.

The company celebrated a half million milestone in April, which was possible thanks to Arqiva’s radio network of 106 masts across the capital which the AMI meters communicate with to feed back data.

etc etc. Rolling out a smarter water future in London - Utility Week

Seems the scourge of 5G Smart Water Meters has now hit Coldharbour Lane.
Not sure what to think about it.
Theoretically I ought to be better off than paying a flat rate based on the rateable value of the property in 1973.

What has pissed me off is the way this was handled by Thames Water.
A couple of letters saying work was being done in the street - and reassuringly also stating that it doesn't affect you if you have not been specifically notified.

This morning I see a massive Thames Water van outside - and a note stuffed through the letter box saying "You can now use your water". I put my head out the front door sand asked what was going on
"Oh, didn't they give you a knock" says the cheeky chappy putting the paving stones back down.

I rang Thames Water metering and had a bizarre but friendly conversation with a lady who told me she live in Ruislip in a large house with a big family, and her next door neighour with no family will be benefiting. She also said that Lambeth was an area where smart water meters have been mandated COMPULSORY.

Looks like I'm stuck with a huge Thames Water vehicle blotting out the sunlight in my kitchen for the rest of the day. That is an insult to injury for me - the reason I haven't bee able to change my dead washing machine for 18 months (apart from Covid) is the aggro of sorting out a contractor to do the work in a controlled parking area - where Thames Water is immune.

Is the a Smart Water Meter thread? I garther the only way you can read your smart meter is to log onto the Thames Water website and check. Ideal for computer non-savvy pensioners and the like. Just found this by the way. Seems Arqiva can make Thames Water smart metering work - despite being unable to supply BBC Four HD to Coldharbour Lane.

Mark Cooper, who heads up smart metering at Thames Water, describes reaching the milestone of half a million devices as a 'gamechanger' for the company and for the environment. He talks to Utility Week about the progress and challenges of the programme.

Thames was the first UK water company to begin widescale deployment of fully smart water meters, known as AMI or advanced metering infrastructure. These differ from the automatic meter reading (AMR) such as drive-by reads that have been adopted more widely across the country, which are themselves a significant step up in terms of usage data compared to manually reading meters in the street.
Over the past six years the company has increased its meter penetration from around 34 per cent to 49 per cent, which Cooper explains was compulsory under the water resource management plan.
“Metering really is the cornerstone of our strategy around our water resources management plan,” Cooper says. “It’s about really punching home the message of taking less water from the
environment and securing water supplies for future generations.”

Moving customers to a meter generally results in water savings, however Cooper says the granular level of data gives further incremental saving when moving to an AMI smart meter.

“We hope to move up from what is a standard 12 per cent saving going from unmetered to metered and pushing that up to 15-17 per cent saving with the smart meters by giving customers an additional view of their usage.”

thames-smart-meter-300x200.jpg
The data available to Thames on usage has shot up from the two million reads from the ‘dumb’ meter estate the business previously had access to, to 12 million every day.

The company celebrated a half million milestone in April, which was possible thanks to Arqiva’s radio network of 106 masts across the capital which the AMI meters communicate with to feed back data.

etc etc. Rolling out a smarter water future in London - Utility Week

Sounds to me like a way this privatised company can make more money out of people.

Sounds to me like a way this privatised company can make more money out of people.
The paranoid in me suggests its so they can measure what you are using - and turn off the supply if you default - all at the touch of a button in Beijing,,,,

Reading the interview with the Water boss. Reducing waste of water through metering is about making the consumer deal with it. Anything other side of the meter is consumers responsibility. So at no cost to Thames Water.

I didn't see anything in the interview about obligation for Thames Water to fix and water loss on their side of the system.

Like a lot of green measures its about making life more difficult for the consumer at individual level.

Reactions: CH1
Reading the interview with the Water boss. Reducing waste of water through metering is about making the consumer deal with it. Anything other side of the meter is consumers responsibility. So at no cost to Thames Water.

I didn't see anything in the interview about obligation for Thames Water to fix and water loss on their side of the system.

Like a lot of green measures its about making life more difficult for the consumer at individual level.

Surely it’s about enabling leak detection on a per house basis rather than a per street ( or whatever ) basis ?

Right now they can only detect leaks on a “this 200 house set uses above average” basis - once you meter you can detect which house has the leak, or that the mains are fucked more than average.

If this lets them fix more leaks - it’s greener.

Surely it’s about enabling leak detection on a per house basis rather than a per street ( or whatever ) basis ?

Right now they can only detect leaks on a “this 200 house set uses above average” basis - once you meter you can detect which house has the leak, or that the mains are fucked more than average.

They are certainly doing a good job on 316 Coldharbour Lane, uninhabitted for 25 years.
I presume a derelict property doesn't pay water rates. Does it pay the standing charge for a meter?

They are certainly doing a good job on 316 Coldharbour Lane, uninhabitted for 25 years.
I presume a derelict property doesn't pay water rates. Does it pay the standing charge for a meter?

If they are doing it on the basis I outline above - they’d do every possible mains connection, to maximise their opportunity to detect leaks.

If they are doing it on the basis I outline above - they’d do every possible mains connection, to maximise their opportunity to detect leaks.
From what I was told when I rang them up on Friday they are prioritising Lambeth.
I predict a fucking great fat-burger under the takeaways opposite the Batrrier Block.
If you cut down on the water in you will end up with blocked sewers. That's my theory and I;m sticking to it.

What I'm not clear on is cutting down on leaks etc on consumer side will be included in Thames Water targets for reducing leaks overall in its system.

Thames Water has patchy track record in reducing water loss across its network.

What I'm not clear on is cutting down on leaks etc on consumer side will be included in Thames Water targets for reducing leaks overall in its system.

Thames Water has patchy track record in reducing water loss across its network.

I’m sure they will if they find it !

I saw them out a couple of weeks back up Brixton Hill, installing. One of the installers took a couple of minutes to explain it when we walked past and nodded a greeting.

I'll give him points for being cheerful

Reactions: CH1
Water companies have targets with their regulator to fix leaks, Thames water will be taking all of the credit

So you agree Thames bringing in water meters to get people to reduce leaks on their side of meter means they will take credit with regulator despite it being at minimal cost to them.

There will be winners and losers with meters. Single people or households with no children could benefit. Family households could pay more. Poor families with children could face higher bills.

At least with standard non metered charge you could budget easily.

Since privatisation bills have gone up. Whilst the regulator has had to act at times firmly to get companies like Thames water to stop leaks.

I do think water is basic need that should not be run by private companies. Its to important to leave to profit seeking business

So you agree Thames bringing in water meters to get people to reduce leaks on their side of meter means they will take credit with regulator despite it being at minimal cost to them.

There will be winners and losers with meters. Single people or households with no children could benefit. Family households could pay more. Poor families with children could face higher bills.

At least with standard non metered charge you could budget easily.

Since privatisation bills have gone up. Whilst the regulator has had to act at times firmly to get companies like Thames water to stop leaks.

I do think water is basic need that should not be run by private companies. Its to important to leave to profit seeking business

It’s much worse than this - the cost of metering will be being added to all of our bills.

I think it should be metered as it discourages usage, but perhaps it should only be metered over a certain base rate per hour property. I recognise that this is regressive.

Agree it shouldn’t be run by private companies, certainly not a for profit company - privatisation of water, gas and electricity have had no winners other than exploitative financial engineers.

Alex

Brixton Square (Carney Place/Chez Mr Bim of Bar) has a concierge. I have to get in there from time to time to deliver a Brixton Society newsletter to a member).

I generally find the concierge staff very polite, typically smartly dressed South London Caribbean men. Not sure why they don't have women, and also why they occasionally are apt to disappear for a sandwich when you want to get into the complex, but as they say "I've never had any trouble".

BTW Brixton Square does have some units which were either social or affordable - on the side overlooking the Walton Lodge Laundry. Naturally on my fleeting quarterly visits I have not been able to survey those residents on their salary levels - but it would appear from casual observation that there is a healthy ethnic representation.
We did have a woman concierge but their job is also to take out the huge bins when the dustmen arrives, and they were to heavy for her to push, so they had to get A MAN to come and help her every Wednesday. Obviously this wasn’t viable so now we have a full time man…. Just a fact of life whether you like it or not.

Wish they'd hurry and reopen the bloody pavement outside Brixton House FFS. It's taken a ridiculous amount of time.

We did have a woman concierge but their job is also to take out the huge bins when the dustmen arrives, and they were to heavy for her to push, so they had to get A MAN to come and help her every Wednesday. Obviously this wasn’t viable so now we have a full time man…. Just a fact of life whether you like it or not.
If we were in Russia - or for that matter Italy - I don't think this would an issue.

When you say "a man" what you actually mean is "someone physically stronger" is it not?

294 Coldharbour Lane is up for auction again on 10th February 294 Coldharbour Lane, Brixton, London, SW9 8SE | Auction House London
The odd thing is the house fetched £1,450,000 in 2016 (same auctioneer) 294 Coldharbour Lane, Brixton, London, SW9 8SE | Auction House London

If you compare the links you will see that the rents charged to the occupants have risen, from an aggregate value of £76,600 pa to £96,000 pa.
This is almost a 25% rise - over 5 years - in other words 5% increase per year.

I think if you peruse the auction papers you will see the rent is paid for by Lambeth Council as the tenants are homeless pending allocation of properties - some for years.
1643147936189.png

I read recently that Lambeth has over 36,000 people on the housing waiting list and the average time to be rehoused is 6.5 years ☹️
I don't understand why all this rent they are paying to private landlords for often shitty accomodation couldn't be used built or buy council housing.

Back
Top Bottom