Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Coldharbour Lane, Brixton - news and updates

I put Twitter on in case of more recent disturbance news. Actually the most likely disturbance from Twitter is Daily Mail loons reposting Daily Mail video clips with accompanying quotes about rivers of blood etc.

Its sad that social media has come to this - where idiots from anywhere in the country can heap hate on black people and Brixton - almost like a dam erected by the Race Relations Act has now burst courtesy of the American First Amendment.

I feel temped to go to the Beehive to see what's going on (and to escape that apology of a program called Question Time - or you Brexit Tonight)

This is not to say that I endorse open air parties etc. It's just that now we seem to have a new Front Line.
Formerly Railton Road, then Landor Road, now its the part of Coldharbour Lane opposite "the strip"

I suppose there are police control orders that could stop it - but then quite likely many people would complain at that - not least on here.

I saw recently that the Council are going to be pumping lots of money into the Domino Club.
How will this affect things? Brixton landmark set for restoration

I suppose there are police control orders that could stop it - but then quite likely many people would complain at that - not least on here.
The residents are absolutely fed up with these parties going on. Traditionally, there's always been small groups of people drinking outside with maybe a small speakers, but in recently years we've had actual ticketed private events taking place, and parties containing huge groups of people, sometimes making a racket till 4 or 5am.

I've had people telling me that I can't take my usual route out of the block because their event is blocking the pavement - nope, not having that - and I've lost count of the amount of bust ups, fights and serious injuries arising from their late night parties.

There's no toilets anywhere near so the place stinks of piss in the morning and there's often broken glass everywhere. Moreover, some of the elderly residents find it incredibly intimidating to have to push their way through these drunk and often rowdy crowds. I have to say I felt a bit uncomfortable yesterday when I left.

I haven't got any problem with the police stopping such huge crowds gathering here.

What about the stuff on the Moorlands estate? Did the police arrest the shooter by breaking into a flat? Did they overreact? It seems like an enormous operation...30 vehicles, 100+ officers.

What about the stuff on the Moorlands estate? Did the police arrest the shooter by breaking into a flat? Did they overreact? It seems like an enormous operation...30 vehicles, 100+ officers.
No the arrest came the day after. I don't know if it was the shooter. Three unmarked cars were in the street at the time.

The enormous operation was on the night in response to the huge numbers of people attending who weren't in the mood to disperse and apparently lobbing stuff around.

The fighting in the street outside and throwing bottles outside the Barrier Block again. I just some saw some kid rushing off. I really home he's not off to get tooled up.
So fed up with this.

The party went on late and was joined buy a large group of very noisy motorcyclists

Motorcycle roar: Brixton's Coldharbour Lane fills with noise as bikes descend at night

bikes.jpg

Motorcycle roar and burning rubber: Brixton’s Coldharbour Lane at night

I get repeated Pinterest emails for some reason - most of which I delete.
This picture was on my Pinterest email today - from a collection called Ramjam 1975 for some reason.

This picture could be 1975 - but in fact it could be any time up to mid 1985.
If you observe on the right hand side of Gresham Road there is a shop - something Corner (any offers on this?)
It was a furniture store serving local people and providing furniture on a hire-purchase basis (to people who were unbanked presumably).

This was completely destroyed in the September 1985 Cherry Groce riot.

Also visible are Gresham Spares - lately Brixton cake shop closed due to covid, and Dan Davies Chemist - which transferred its pharmacy licence to Brixton Hill around 1995 I think. Now Payless Food and Wine.
Unfortunately the definition is not good enough to pick anything further.

Coldharbour Lane shops 1975.JPG

I get repeated Pinterest emails for some reason - most of which I delete.
This picture was on my Pinterest email today - from a collection called Ramjam 1975 for some reason.

This picture could be 1975 - but in fact it could be any time up to mid 1985.
If you observe on the right hand side of Gresham Road there is a shop - something Corner (any offers on this?)
It was a furniture store serving local people and providing furniture on a hire-purchase basis (to people who were unbanked presumably).

This was completely destroyed in the September 1985 Cherry Groce riot.

Also visible are Gresham Spares - lately Brixton cake shop closed due to covid, and Dan Davies Chemist - which transferred its pharmacy licence to Brixton Hill around 1995 I think. Now Payless Food and Wine.
Unfortunately the definition is not good enough to pick anything further.

View attachment 279853

I remember the furniture shop. It was looted and set alight in the mid 80s Brixton riot. The fire spread and burnt down all the flats above. I remember seeing this. New flats were built minus a shop.

Reactions: CH1
is the new temporary pedestrian crossing between Valentia Place and Somerleyton Road just that and if so why is it there or are they going to make it permanent?

Back
Top Bottom